Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting up Sky UK epg download

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,947 Times in 3,269 Posts

Setting up Sky UK epg download

Setting up Sky UK epg download.

OpenViX 5.4.005 or greater:

4.jpg

Be certain to have a tuner set up for 28 east:

6.jpg

Go to EPG menu and select "OpenTV EPG downloader":

1.jpg

Change "Enable OpenTV download" to "yes":

2.jpg

Press GREEN to save:

3.jpg

That is it. The download will happen automatically.

If you only have a single tuner receiver the download will occur when the receiver is in standby.

It is also possible to force a download from the Extensions menu (press BLUE from live TV):

7.jpg

Lastly it might be an idea to disable "Freesat EPG" if you are using the OpenTV EPG downloader so as to not have 2 sets of conflicting EPG data:

5.jpg
    Last edited by Huevos; 30-01-21 at 10:04.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (24-01-21),CRUMBLIN (24-01-21),dsayers (24-01-21),gws (24-01-21),ronand (24-01-21),Sicilian (25-01-21),SkyFan (25-03-24),Willo3092 (24-01-21)

Title
    Thanks
    How do I get to the 1st screen "about"?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JonMMM For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (24-01-21)

BrokenUnusableAccount

Question

1) So I just choose any time for running autotimer rather than having it done automatically after EPG Refresh finishes?

2) If I also or only have Freeview can I continue to use EPG Refresh for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    If you only have a single tuner receiver the download will occur when the receiver is in standby.
    Presumably it's downloaded on a schedule whether the box is in standby or not and just doesn't do anything if there isn't a free tuner?
    Or does it wait until one is free?

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    If there is a configured tuner available that won't interrupt the currently play service it will be used. If the only available tuner is in use the download will happen in standby.

No download will occur while recording.

First download attempt is 5 minutes after booting or immediately after enabling.

Interval between successful downloads is 6 hours.

Following the above logic, if it is not possible to make a download a retry will occur every 15 minutes until a tuner becomes available.

If necessary you can force the download from blue button menu.

Time will tell if this is a good choice of timing.

Anyway don't worry too much about the logic... The name of the game is to keep the EPG populated... and for me during testing the EPG has remained permanently populated.
    Last edited by Huevos; 24-01-21 at 23:58.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

Title
    Thanks
    If there is a configured tuner available that won't interrupt the currently play service it will be used. If the only available tuner is in use the download will happen in standby.

No download will occur while recording.

First download attempt is 5 minutes after booting or immediately after enabling.

Interval between successful downloads is 6 hours.

Following the above logic, if it is not possible to make a download a retry will occur every 15 minutes until a tuner becomes available.

If necessary you can force the download from blue button menu.

Time will tell if this is a good choice of timing.

Anyway don't worry too much about the logic... The name of the game is to keep the EPG populated... and for me during testing the EPG has remained permanently populated.
    Crossepg will do that:
    Set the automatic download time to, say 08:14
    Then change to hourly updates while in standby

Crossepg will then perform hourly updates from 08:14 untill midnight .
    Found through experimentation

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goRt View Post
    Crossepg will do that:
    Set the automatic download time to, say 08:14
    Then change to hourly updates while in standby

Crossepg will then perform hourly updates from 08:14 untill midnight .
    Found through experimentation
    If you want to use CrossEPG use it.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    ...Interval between successful downloads is 6 hours...
    Submitted PR here request to allow interval between downloads to be adjusted from 3 to 24 hours in intervals of 3 (6 remains default).

May not be necessary for anyone to change this but if there is then at least it can be done.

PR tested on my Solo2.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bbbuk For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (25-01-21)

BrokenUnusableAccount
    I just built and tried a developer build 5.4.005.012 on my Zgemma H7S.
    It appears that EPG Refresh is forcibly uninstalled and opentvzapper is forcibly installed even though I restored my old settings.

If this is supposed to help people who don't want to spend time learning how to get the best out of OpenViX and things like EPG Refresh, I feel I should point out that it will be a bit of a disaster for anyone using EPG Refresh for anything other than 28.2E (I was using EPG Refresh for Freeview). Also if you used EPG Refresh to trigger running autotimers like I did I presume you'll find autotimers never run.

You need to decide what you're aiming for ultimate versatility and power or simple out of the box ready to go.
    If it's the latter I'm probably abandoning OpenViX.

Now I have a ton of new stuff I need to spend time investigating if I want OpenViX to still be what I wanted - ultimate versatility and power.

I now have to figure out:
    1) What triggered the unwanted removal of EPG Refresh? Is there any danger that it'll be silently uninstalled again at some point?
    2) Do I try and go back to what I was doing before where EPG Refresh fetched all my EPGs or do I let opentvzapper get the sky EPG and use something else for Freeview EPG? What will the something else be?
    3) What is the best way to fit all this together?

I'd trawl through all your extensive documentation for the new release and read all the comments in the source code on github except that, THERE ISN'T ANY and THERE ARN'T ANY.
    In fact a recent commit to the source code actually removed a small comment rather than correct it!
    Last edited by BrokenUnusableAccount; 25-01-21 at 00:18.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BefuddledBrian View Post
    I just built and tried a developer build 5.4.005.012 on my Zgemma H7S.
    It appears that EPG Refresh is forcibly uninstalled and opentvzapper is forcibly installed even though I restored my old settings.

If this is supposed to help people who don't want to spend time learning how to get the best out of OpenViX and things like EPG Refresh, I feel I should point out that it will be a bit of a disaster for anyone using EPG Refresh for anything other than 28.2E (I was using EPG Refresh for Freeview). Also if you used EPG Refresh to trigger running autotimers like I did I presume you'll find autotimers never run.

You need to decide what you're aiming for ultimate versatility and power or simple out of the box ready to go.
    If it's the latter I'm probably abandoning OpenViX.

Now I have a ton of new stuff I need to spend time investigating if I want OpenViX to still be what I wanted - ultimate versatility and power.

I now have to figure out:
    1) What triggered the unwanted removal of EPG Refresh? Is there any danger that it'll be silently uninstalled again at some point?
    2) Do I try and go back to what I was doing before where EPG Refresh fetched all my EPGs or do I let opentvzapper get the sky EPG and use something else for Freeview EPG? What will the something else be?
    3) What is the best way to fit all this together?

I'd trawl through all your extensive documentation for the new release and read all the comments in the source code on github except that, THERE ISN'T ANY and THERE ARN'T ANY.
    In fact a recent commit to the source code actually removed a small comment rather than correct it!
    Nothing to figure out. It is just not pre-installed. Your config is already loaded in your backup so if you want to use epgrefresh just download it from the feeds.

BTW, I can't see how adding something extra to make things less of a challenge for our users , removes "versatility and power". This update does not prevent any functionality that existed previously.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (25-01-21)

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Nothing to figure out. It is just not pre-installed. Your config is already loaded in your backup so if you want to use epgrefresh just download it from the feeds.
    For one thing I needed to figure out whether EPG Refresh would by removed every time I restored a backup.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    For one thing I needed to figure out whether EPG Refresh would by removed every time I restored a backup.
    If a plugin is pre-installed in the image, it will exist in a "virgin" image. You do not have to install it.
    If a plugin is removed from the list of pre-installed items, a software update will remove it. This is because it's installation was decided by the image team, not user
    For anything else, if you have installed it previously, a plugin restore will re-install it.

A software update does not remove what a user installed.
    Last edited by abu baniaz; 26-01-21 at 17:46. Reason: Strike incorrect statement

17. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    If a plugin is pre-installed in the image, it will exist in a "virgin" image. You do not have to install it.
    If a plugin is removed from the list of pre-installed items, a software update will remove it. This is because it's installation was decided by the image team, not user.
    For anything else, if you have installed it previously, a plugin restore will re-install it.

A software update does not remove what a user installed.
    I stand corrected, EPG refresh did not get uninstalled when performing an update. I have removed the message.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

BrokenUnusableAccount

BTW, I can't see how adding something extra to make things less of a challenge for our users , removes "versatility and power". This update does not prevent any functionality that existed previously.
    I'm sorry.

The only reason I have was I was confused by a plug-in restore using setting backup not restoring all my plug-ins. But I understand how it works now.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    I'm sorry.

The only reason I have was I was confused by a plug-in restore using setting backup not restoring all my plug-ins. But I understand how it works now.
    No need to be sorry.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

Title
    Thanks
    A plugin restore is actually a re-installation of what the user had installed. Any packages that are pre-installed based on image configuration are never restored/re-installed.

If you want to use EPG refresh, just install it. Subsequent restores will re-install it because it will fall into the category of "user installs".

EDIT:
    There will be a user prompt before people update anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast