Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New dish set up

Title
    Thanks

New dish set up

I have a sky mini mesh dish for the last ten years. With a inverto blsck ultra quad lnb. Now i get picture glitching on some asian channels on uk sky and worse when weather is bad. I have read these sky oval dishes not very good. Looking to freshen up new dish lnb and wiring. Get a good installer to fit it all. I need suggestions on which dish to get? Im in south uk, will 60cm solid round dish be enough or shall i go for a 70 or even 80cm one? Also thinking of just getting another inverto black quad lnb or is there anything better out there now? There are a lot of dishes on WOS, what you recon?
    Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    If you're using a sky oval dish, then you should use a sky LNB as it is optimised for the dish shape. Using an LNB designed for a circular dish will result in lower signal quality. Are you using an adaptor to fit the Inverto on the sky dish or is it a specific one designed for sky dish? If you're just using a fixed dish for 28.2, then a 60cm circular dish should be plenty in the south of England. Your existing Inverto (if it has a 40mm diameter) will fit in a standard dish.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Yes its an adaptor that fits the end of the sky dish arm and inverto just clips in. So any round 60cm dish, there isn't different quality ones? Also my lnb is like 10 years old shall i not change that?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Well if you are updating after 10 years, you might as well change the LNB - mine don‘t last that long, usually the sun kills them after about 4 years
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Joe_90 (22-01-21)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Well if you are updating after 10 years, you might as well change the LNB - mine don‘t last that long, usually the sun kills them after about 4 years
    Wish we had enough sun to kill mine LOL

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    If the receivers are capable of supporting it what about a unicable LNB?
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

Joe_90 (22-01-21)

Title
    Thanks
    What do you guys think a zone 2 sky oval dish, like 80cm wide, with a mk 4 sky quad lnb, mesh version . Or a solid technomate 65 round dish with a good lnb like inverto for best signal and picture quality in bad weather? Which is the better set up?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by icemen View Post
    What do you guys think a zone 2 sky oval dish, like 80cm wide, with a mk 4 sky quad lnb, mesh version . Or a solid technomate 65 round dish with a good lnb like inverto for best signal and picture quality in bad weather? Which is the better set up?
    The technomate will be better built and last longer. If you are in the south of England and just using 28.2 a 65cm dish should be fine. The reason the sky dishes are perforated is to save metal. They will dissolve with rust unless you paint them. I have a sky dish which is about 14 years old. I painted it with exterior emulsion, same colour as my house render. It's getting a bit tatty at this stage, so I'll probably replace it soon.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Yea my sky dish is about 10 years old now. Anyone tried both to see which give the better results?

Title
    Thanks
    Im Gonna go for the 65cm round dish rather than the zone 2 oval sky dishes.
    Fibre glass ment to be best but are to expensive.
    I dont mind paying upto £60 for the dish.
    Which is better make triax or technomate? Both do 65cm round dish.
    Then im going to put a inverto black ultra quad lnb.
    Which cost average £30.
    Then i have to find a good installer who can charge upto £60 to install.
    £150 budget should be sufficient.
    Any installers on this forum inbox me pls
    Thanks

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    If you are able to get up to the dish yourself then there wont be any need for an installer. It would be cheaper to get yourself a satellite meter and do it yourself as you will only be swapping the dish out.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    The technomate will be better built and last longer. If you are in the south of England and just using 28.2 a 65cm dish should be fine. The reason the sky dishes are perforated is to save metal.
    In some respects the sky type dish is a good design although they may come off the production line costing under a 10 GBP, but installed in millions. The oval shape, albeit coupled with an oval aperture LNB, reduce the weight as do the perforations which also have the advantage of reducing windage which could negate the need for much stronger fixings. A consideration to be made when replacing it with something bigger and with a greater wind resistance.

My oval zone 2 dish (installed in SE of England) is just starting to show signs of some rust after 14 years. I installed it as delivered - no painting.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Whats the best lnb for the oval sky dish?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I have this gt sat unicable on Zone 2 dish had to get a new lnb bracket
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...e-lnb-3-legacy

Bought 2 zone 2 mesh type at the same time when first got a bit shabby just replaced mesh bit didn't need to get meter out
    Last edited by v8rick; 25-01-21 at 19:15.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by icemen View Post
    Whats the best lnb for the oval sky dish?
    If you get a Sky dish, get a Sky LNB.

Unless you get a really old Sky dish, the new Mk4 (last ~5 years) have a 38mm collar. "Standard" LNBs are 40mm. So if you get a new Sky dish and don't want to use a Sky LNB, you will need to get an adapter for 40mm. Your current LNB (pictured) will not fit on a new Sky dish. BTW, your LNB needs the skew adjusting. It is not quite 7 o'clock from what I can see.

Any installers on this forum inbox me pls
    Might be better to post where you are. "South UK" is a large area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast