Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Owners view

Title
    Thanks

Owners view

Very quiet on here, I am wondering if it is worth paying the extra bucks to buy this new VU box, what is the owner's view? Looking to use with 2 separate dishs one fixed and the other motorized and running on Oscam on openvix.
    Samsung QE55 TV, Sony STN-DN1080 AV Amp, VU Duo2, fixed dish for Freesat, 1m motorised dish.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by psionguy View Post
    Very quiet on here, I am wondering if it is worth paying the extra bucks to buy this new VU box, what is the owner's view? Looking to use with 2 separate dishs one fixed and the other motorized and running on Oscam on openvix.
    That's the way I run my Ultimo 4k Use it all the time.
    Jedi for iptv

3. The Following User Says Thank You to v8rick For This Useful Post:

psionguy (22-01-21)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by psionguy View Post
    We live on a remote Sheep Station in NSW Australia; So this may not be relevant, but here goes.

We have used DUO2's for our home theatre since mid 2017 with flawless results. The reason for the transition was forced by the Multistream of FTA ABC/ SBS (public funded services') which we depended upon.

So, we had to buy a Government authorised decoder or the newly released VAST (Viewer Access Satellite Television) CAM's and card from the provider which cost up to about €490 (depending upon the grade, single service / multi service).

This provides FTA TV/ Radio with the proviso that the card is activated and it takes up to two minutes to authenticate each time the box is turned on after initial approval.

We were very discouraged by the local decoder offering as the channel order is fixed/ lack of features and nothing near WEBIF for example.

The DUO2's have been superb and because we are getting hotter and daily temps can be in the low 40°C at times (mostly late 30's/ up from early 30's thirty years ago) I run an extractor fan over the tuners' and have upgraded the internal fan with a Ceramica for survival, lower the mains by 10V (step back autotransformer to 248V), an APC UPS and turn them off completely each session end/ no standby usage at all.
    Ceramica-VUPLUSDOU2.jpg

Next, late 2020 and I was able to tune the Satellite (the multistream TP's) with a $50 box and our Sat finder gadget, so, I thought the DUO4K would have no problem, but we are still unable to reach the 47,300 symbol rate service; Which I hope changes over time or maybe a new tuner?

I have installed a CAM into the two DUO4K SE's we bought and here comes the magic of VIX !

One unit I have in my lab where all the trial dishes terminate and next to our comms tower and it is the first one which I have now running in a nice stable way on VAST with Team VIX, along with the terrestrial feed.

Next I export an image backup and presto the second unit is perfect.

These units are sublime in appearance and circuit quality along with the external PSU, the internal heat is reduced, even so we will still need an extractor fan over the tuner vents. This fan is a raised 24V Ceramica run on 12V for reasonable efficiency but silent operation !
    Fan-VUPLUSDUO2.JPG
    Ignore the dirt (on a DUO2 in my lab/ office/ shack), as we have had many dust storms in the last few years, up by a factor of about twenty on decades' past.

One aspect I have noticed is the tuners' are generally not as sensitive as the DUO2, this is mentioned elsewhere.

I cannot access the desired TP's/ Satellite, (but, in case it is the insensitive tuner), I have a 40dB line amp on back order; This will probably do nothing as the odd thing about these TP's is that the other boxes (I mentioned above) find lots of plain DVB-S services on the TP's, but the DUO4K finds nothing and I am curious that the service has a broadcast prevention in place which the DUO4K honors, like the old Macrovision?

In another month or so I plan to switch out the DUO2's and put one of the DUO4K's in the HT as we depend on this for our News and Entertainment; The family gets a lot from the ability and power of Team VIX/ DUO's to record by schedule, timeshift and play back out here in a remote location.
    --

"corporate greed and chemicals are killin' the land" Neil Young - Greendale 2004.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aust-VAST For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (09-02-21),Joe_90 (09-02-21),twol (09-02-21)