Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: 5.4.004 timeshift lockup

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
Yes
Attachments
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5.4.004 timeshift lockup

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    @adm - My apologies! My Quad Plus does work when pressing the REW key when watching live TV. I have permanent timeshift enabled on this box and it's set to kick in after 10 seconds on the channel. I think what I was remembering was when I had PTS turned off. In that instance you have to press play/pause to kick off timeshift. I have similar issues as you with the < and > keys to jump over programme boundaries - works sometimes and too easy to accidentally clear the buffer.
    The freezing I see occasionally when watching either timeshift or recorded programmes, which I can clear with the number keys, must be another issue.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    My gripe with watching delayed TV via th timeshift buffer is having to use the > key (the one under the 9 key) to jump over the program boundary or else openvix is liable to restart the previous program again. AND if you press the > accidentally once too often when jumping boundaries getting back into live TV with the timeshift buffer apparently instantly cleared.
    Yes, it is easy to wipe out the timeshift buffer since E2 won't provide a warning allowing you to escape. I would think this is a needed feature since wiping the timeshift buffer is irreversible.

The behaviour described by fat-tony pressing pause (or RWD) first, waiting for some seconds and then being able to RWD/FWD/jump in the buffer, is how E2 has always behaved here too. I have set the Timeshift to start in 4 seconds, and it takes ~4sec of waiting before I can scan or jump in it. Pressing the < button after this short wait will bring me right at the start of the timeshift period, even if the Timeshift crosses multiple program boundaries.

With 5.4.004 release the Timeshift does not start at all after having played a recording and consequently there is no live buffer to rewind into, no matter how long I wait after stopping the playback of a recording. The only way to get the Timeshift working as expected is to change TV channel.

Another observation:

When I start the box from standby on a TV channel which is currently capturing a recording, the Timeshift does not start. Pausing live TV shows the Timeshift icon on the front panel LED display coming on, but I am unable to pause, RWD, or jump, into the buffer no matter how long I wait. Also, I noticed the channel number on the infobar shows three dashes, ---, instead of the channel number, while Timeshift is not working. I have checked and the setting to stop Timeshift while recording is set to No.

When I start the box on a TV channel where no recording is taking place at the time, the Timeshift works as expected.

I could capture more debug logs if those attached in previous postings don't help.
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickkie View Post
    When I start the box from standby on a TV channel which is currently capturing a recording, the Timeshift does not start.
    It's that what you'd expect? No point in recording a channel which is already being recorded.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    It's that what you'd expect? No point in recording a channel which is already being recorded.
    Probably expected behaviour because it's possible to actually watch a recording and pause, fwd, rew and jump through it whilst it is still being recorded. In this case you have to find the program that is being recorded in the recorded list (where you normally find all your recordings) and if it is still being recorded the progress bar will be in red (maybe skin and settings dependant [1]). Pressing play on this in-progress recording with allow playing and timeshift functionality.

[1]
    Go to your recording list and when the list is displayed
    press menu → settings → show status icons in movie list = Progess (etc).
    Last edited by adm; 21-01-21 at 15:08.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Probably expected behaviour because it's possible to actually watch a recording and pause, fwd, rew and jump through it whilst it is still being recorded. In this case you have to find the program that is being recorded in the recorded list (where you normally find all your recordings) and if it is still being recorded the progress bar will be in red (maybe skin and settings dependant [1]). Pressing play on this in-progress recording with allow playing and timeshift functionality.
    This is not how previous releases of E2 behaved. I was able to timeshift in real time, while the same channel was being recorded. My position in the timeshift was not affected by the position in the recorded video. Example:

While watching live TV one programs nears its end and as the next program starts it also begins to be recorded according to a pre-set timer. A few minutes later I decide to pause/RWD, etc., all of which I am able to do in timeshift. If I navigate into the List of recordings and play the currently recorded program I'll start watching it from the beginning. If I now stop the playback of the recording and go back to watching the program in real time, the timeshift buffer is of course gone. I won't be able to rewind any further back than this moment, but the timeshift would work normally from this point onward.

After some exhaustive and exhausting tests I must correct some of my previous statements and confirm this bug as follows:

1. The timeshift does not work if I revert from playing a recorded program to watching live TV.
    2. The only way to get the timeshift restarted following 1. is to switch channels - which is annoying if I have to do this every time I stop playing a recording.
    3. Whenever I wake up the box from Standby it will retain its previous status with regards to timeshift. Which means, to have timeshift working when coming out of Standby, I have to make sure it was put into Standby with timeshift running. If not I have to repeat 2.

The same problem persists with release 5.4.005. :-(
    Kind regards,

Mick

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickkie For This Useful Post:

BrokenUnusableAccount
    My gripe with watching delayed TV via th timeshift buffer is having to use the > key (the one under the 9 key) to jump over the program boundary or else openvix is liable to restart the previous program again. AND if you press the > accidentally once too often when jumping boundaries getting back into live TV with the timeshift buffer apparently instantly cleared.
    Yes, I've been caught out by something like that.

Title
    Thanks
    All versions in 5.4.x release (currently running 5.4.012) are still suffering from the same problem, i.e. timeshift does not restart after playing a recording, unless I change channels afterwards. I assume this is relevant to enigma code, rather than the kernel triggering some power saving feature on the disk, but I don't know what changes were introduced since the 5.3.x series to cause this. Is there some configuration workaround I could use for now, or some tweak I could implement on this end, rather than wait in hope for a major release upgrade to revert this 'feature'?
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickkie View Post
    All versions in 5.4.x release (currently running 5.4.012) are still suffering from the same problem, i.e. timeshift does not restart after playing a recording, unless I change channels afterwards. I assume this is relevant to enigma code, rather than the kernel triggering some power saving feature on the disk, but I don't know what changes were introduced since the 5.3.x series to cause this. Is there some configuration workaround I could use for now, or some tweak I could implement on this end, rather than wait in hope for a major release upgrade to revert this 'feature'?
    So what are you expecting to happen???
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    In the 5.3.x series and before, once we finished/stopped playing a recording and the box returned to showing live TV, the timeshift started as expected and as was configured to do. With the 5.4.x series the timeshift does not start following playback of a recording, unless/until we change the TV channel.

Since we make a lot of use of timeshift - "Ah! This looks interesting, let me scroll back" - we now have to switch to some other TV channel and back again to get the timeshift function to start, after each and every time we finish watching a recorded programme. It's an annoying workaround, because sometimes we forget to change channel, e.g. when we switch off the box in a hurry. Next time we start the box and try to scroll back we discover we're unable to do so. Hence I was hoping some patch/tweak/module loading option would allow us to revert to the previous behaviour.
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    What have you got the timeshift setting "Stop timeshift while recording" set to?

Title
    Thanks
    "Stop timeshift while recording" is set to No.

Anyway, the problem manifests whether the box is in the process of recording, or not. It seems to be triggered by the playback of recordings, after which timeshift will not start again, unless I change channel.
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    Thanks

Smile Bug fixed!

Some change on OpenVix 5.4.016 seems to have fixed this regression problem. My thanks to the dev who done this.
    Kind regards,

Mick

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickkie For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (21-10-21)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12