Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: 5.4.004 timeshift lockup

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
Yes
Attachments
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.4.004 timeshift lockup

Title
    Thanks

5.4.004 timeshift lockup

I noticed timeshift does not work as it used to under series 4 releases.

After the latest OpenVIX update to 5.4.004, I can press pause and timeshift starts as expected. If I leave it for more than a few minutes, say more than 10-15 minutes and come back, then pressing play or OK does not start playing back. Rewind, F/FWD, etc. elicit no response. Pressing the stop button a couple of times eventually returns to live TV, but ... thereafter I can no longer pause, rewind, etc. Leaving it to play on for few minutes, the screen saver kicks in, as if the display had been paused. :-/

These are the files listed in the timeshift directory:
    Code:
    root@mutant51:/media/hdd# ls -la timeshift/
    drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         16384 Jan 18 13:25 .
    drwxr-xr-x   10 root     root          4096 Jan 17 23:11 ..
    -rw-------    2 root     root     915972096 Jan 18 13:29 pts_livebuffer_1
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           102 Jan 18 13:01 pts_livebuffer_1.eit
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           131 Jan 18 13:01 pts_livebuffer_1.meta
    -rw-r--r--    2 root     root        676064 Jan 18 13:29 pts_livebuffer_1.sc
    -rw-------    1 root     root     256786944 Jan 18 09:20 pts_livebuffer_2
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           127 Jan 18 09:13 pts_livebuffer_2.eit
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           168 Jan 18 09:13 pts_livebuffer_2.meta
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        155872 Jan 18 09:20 pts_livebuffer_2.sc
    -rw-------    2 root     root     915972096 Jan 18 13:29 timeshift.YGTRLf
    -rw-r--r--    2 root     root        676064 Jan 18 13:29 timeshift.YGTRLf.sc
    I have not yet captured a log, but have you noticed the same behaviour?

EDIT: From what I have observed if I pause only for a couple of minutes, this problem does not occur.
    Last edited by Mickkie; 18-01-21 at 17:39.
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    had same problem on my vu duo2 . Did not know if it was a bug or that I used the wrong button.
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner
    Triax 88 cm rotor single LNB 30 E- 40 W
    1 Gibertini 1.00 m fixed - 3 quad LNB 19E-23.5E-28.2E

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bellejt For This Useful Post:

Mickkie (19-01-21)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Works fine for me, paused for 20 minutes, then ok to continue, fast forward, skip, pause all work as expected.

The only possible difference is that I never use permanent timeshift.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    .... although files are left lying around despite me stopping timeshift and not saving.

Code:
    root@vuultimo4k:~# ls -l /media/hdd/timeshift
    -rw-------    1 root     root     671096832 Jan 18 17:09 pts_livebuffer_1
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           158 Jan 18 16:43 pts_livebuffer_1.eit
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           228 Jan 18 16:43 pts_livebuffer_1.meta
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        631216 Jan 18 17:09 pts_livebuffer_1.sc
    root@vuultimo4k:~# date
    Mon Jan 18 18:36:06 GMT 2021
    root@vuultimo4k:~#

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    .... although files are left lying around despite me stopping timeshift and not saving.
    They disappear after a reboot.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Works fine for me, paused for 20 minutes, then ok to continue, fast forward, skip, pause all work as expected.

The only possible difference is that I never use permanent timeshift.
    One variable maybe a timeshift over a program boundary.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    One variable maybe a timeshift over a program boundary.
    Yes, I did wonder about that, although I seem to remember creating a very long timeshift recording across multiple boundaries ages ago and posting about it.

Maybe I'll find it, maybe not.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yes, I did wonder about that, although I seem to remember creating a very long timeshift recording across multiple boundaries ages ago and posting about it.

Maybe I'll find it, maybe not.
    I just done a hour long timeshift spanning 3 program boundaries whilst the box was on pause. I also have the box configured for permanent timeshift. No problems seen by me with 5.4.004
    I have an internal disk.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

ccs (18-01-21),Mickkie (19-01-21)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I tried again, (checking something else), and saw exactly what happened in post #1.
    Attached Files Attached Files

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

Mickkie (19-01-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Good to know others have noticed the same problem and my hardware is not failing. :-)

I managed to capture the intermittent timeshift malfunction in a debug log.

Timestamp 1437.0571 - Started playing a Newsnight recording.

Timestamp 2157.7096 - Stopped the recording and TV starts playing

Timestamp 2161.7479 - I PAUSE the live TV, the screen goes black

After a few seconds, less than a minute, I press PLAY more than once, but the screen remains black. REWIND, FORWARD and more PLAY elicit no response. Eventually I press STOP To return to the live TV transmission.

This problem does not happen every time, but pretty much describes the malfunction I have encountered. I'm not sure if something like this was happening with release 5.4.003 and I did not noticed it.

I've checked if crossing a program boundary is responsible and it doesn't seem to be related. Earlier today I was able to press < to return to the start of the timeshift in the previous program.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickkie View Post
    Timestamp 1437.0571 - Started playing a Newsnight recording.
    Timestamp 2157.7096 - Stopped the recording and TV starts playing
    Timestamp 2161.7479 - I PAUSE the live TV, the screen goes black

After a few seconds, less than a minute, I press PLAY more than once, but the screen remains black. REWIND, FORWARD and more PLAY elicit no response. Eventually I press STOP To return to the live TV transmission.
    Now I have seen the fault.

I followed the above sequence but with possibly only a minute per mode. On pause I didn't get a blank screen - just a snapshot of what was being displayed on the screen at the time of pressing pause.
    Box now locks-up showing this same snapshot image - play , fwd rewind has no effect. After a while in this mode I get the OPENVIX screen saver logo, but still over the snapshot image.
    To get back to live TV the record stop button has to be pressed.
    Afterwards the pause button has no effect UNTIL the live TV channel is changed.

I don't know if it related but recently when pausing live TV the pause/play button often has to be pressed twice before the delayed program will play again.

I can now repeat the fault

Enigma2_debug_2021-01-19_14-26-30.zip
    Last edited by adm; 19-01-21 at 15:32. Reason: add debug log

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 882 Posts
    I quite often get a frozen image on-screen when pausing playback. I presumed it was something to do with flaky Gigablue drivers (GB Quad Plus), but others are now experiencing this, it seems. How I get out of this situation is I press the "1" or "3" buttons to jump 15 seconds backwards or forwards in the file and it usually sorts the issue out. My other half has to do this quite often on soaps recorded on CH5 HD. I thought maybe it was due to the I frame setup being different on CH5 as I rarely see it on ITV HD, but maybe it's a bug! It's not just on timeshift - I see this on recorded programmes also and it pre-dates 5.4 for me.
    Last edited by Joe_90; 19-01-21 at 16:23.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    OK, the plot thickens ...

I have set up timeshift to kick in after 4 seconds. As I was watching yet-another recording and stopped the video playback, I started watching whatever was on BBC1 HD. A minute or two later I realised I missed something 'important' at the beginning, so I tried to rewind. I got an icon on the screen this was not a valid keypress. After a couple of REW, FREW, I gave up and pressed 1. Still nothing, I couldn't get back to the start of the timeshift. So, I looked at the front of the Mut@nt and realised there was NO timeshift LED symbol showing. :-/

Question: Why would timeshift fail to start following playback of a recording, but works as expected when I switch channels?
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 882 Posts
    I have never seen timeshift working on my enigma boxes in a similar fashion to Sky boxes. I have always had to press play/pause first, wait about 10 seconds, then I can FF or REW (or, more usually, jump with the numeric keys) to get at an earlier point in the timeshift buffer. This is with permanent timeshift set.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    I have never seen timeshift working on my enigma boxes in a similar fashion to Sky boxes. I have always had to press play/pause first, wait about 10 seconds, then I can FF or REW (or, more usually, jump with the numeric keys) to get at an earlier point in the timeshift buffer. This is with permanent timeshift set.
    Is that because sky boxes don't use the numeric keys for the jump function? An image may need to first need to know that you want to actually to operate in timeshift mode using the numeric keys rather than just changing channel using the numeric keys - hence you indicating timeshift operation by pressing pause first. Also with the timeshift buffer not permanently enabled the pause key is way to activate timeshift. It helps if there is a common mechansim for both the buffer permanently enabled or not.

My gripe with watching delayed TV via th timeshift buffer is having to use the > key (the one under the 9 key) to jump over the program boundary or else openvix is liable to restart the previous program again. AND if you press the > accidentally once too often when jumping boundaries getting back into live TV with the timeshift buffer apparently instantly cleared.
    Last edited by adm; 20-01-21 at 01:23.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast