Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: Video freezes on playback

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
System OE: OE-Alliance 4.4 Firmware version: OpenViX 5.4.004 (2021-01-12) Kernel / Drivers: 3.14.28 / 20190424
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
Yes
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Attachments
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video freezes on playback

Title
    Thanks

Video freezes on playback

Hi.
    Occasionally a recorded tv program will not playback. On playback the video freezes with a rapidly flashing mainly red distorted image of the start of the recoding. The audio continues and can be fast forwarded or shifted correctly but the video freeze remains at the same point.
    This is a permanent error on specific recordings and is repeated at each playback.
    There is no escape from the video freeze other than a reboot.
    The GUI is still active and can be used to initiate the reboot.

I have attached a log and images of the screen.

Thanks
    Peter
    Attached Files Attached Files

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    You're playing a recording from a network mounted filesystem or is it a local drive?

Code:
    <    53.7846> [Notifications] RemovePopup, id = ZapError
    <    53.7915> [ActionMap] Keymap(s) 'ButtonSetupActions' -> Undefined action(s) 'skip_forward, skip_back'.
    <    53.7918> [Navigation] playing 1:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:/media/autofs/M/Temp/VU+/20201107 2106 - BBC Two - QI XL.ts
    <    53.7929> [eFilePushThreadRecorder] stopping thread.
    <    53.7931> [eDVBRecordFileThread] waiting for aio to complete

Title
    Thanks
    That file in the log is stored on a network mounted drive. The same problem occurs whether the file is stored on the local drive or network.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by herisson View Post
    That file in the log is stored on a network mounted drive. The same problem occurs whether the file is stored on the local drive or network.
    If it fails at the same place with network or local copies, it sounds like a problem with the file.

I find playback from a NAS drive occasionally freezes, but there is no picture distortion, and playback continues after a minute or so.

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Is this a new problem after upgrade to OpenViX 5.4.004?

Title
    Thanks
    No, it's not just a problem with 5.4. It existed for about 12 months for me which goes back to at least 5.2.
    It only affects around 5% of recordings so it's taken a while for me to get round to trying to get to the bottom if it.

It does seem that it's the recording that's the problem, however I can play the .ts file in Windows with VLC Player.

PS. I've now converted the .ts to mpg in Windows and the mpg file plays ok with VLC. However, I get the same result if I play the mpg from the VU+.
    It seems that the recordings are corrupt.

PPS. I've just had this happen while playing a recording that is still in progress.
    On all but one occasion the video freezes at the start of playback. Only on one occasion has it frozen part way through playback.

BrokenUnusableAccount
    INHO unless someone else pops up and says they had the same and how they fixed it I'm afraid I'm thinking it's probably some kind of hardware fault.
    Perhaps a faulty SoC or faulty power supply making the SoC go crazy.

I guess it might just be worth trying a different HDMI lead but that seems unlikely to me.

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Silly me. Of course I meant to type IMHO at beginning of #7.

Title
    Thanks
    So, I flashed several other images including Blackhole, Openvision and Openpli. All of them played the 'corrupt' video and worked as they should. However I still like Openvix so I re-flashed it. It played the 'corrupt' video without a problem.

So what did flashing other images do to help Openvix play videos it couldn't play before?

And then......... out of the blue the gui stopped displaying on the tv (ok on the screen on the VU+). Nothing I could do to get this back including a cold start or a restore. I had to re-flash the image. After a few hours the gui stopped displaying again. Repeated the process and still the gui stops displaying after a few hours.

It seems there may be a software issue outside of the image. Am I right in saying that flashing an image does not overwrite all the firmware? Can I reset the whole box?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Flashing an image is the equivalent of a factory reset, the hdd is left untouched.

So you're using the lcd to show playback - that may be your problem, I didn't realise that even worked, at least I've never tried it.

Are you using lcd4linux?
    Last edited by ccs; 26-01-21 at 11:18.

Title
    Thanks
    The hdd isn't really involved in this as I reformatted it.

I mentioned the lcd in passing as it still displays the gui. The gui is not displayed on the tv.

I undestand flashing an image is the same as a factory reset, but a factory reset does not re-install linux so there must be software/firmware on the box that is not touched by flashing an image?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by herisson View Post
    I undestand flashing an image is the same as a factory reset, but a factory reset does not re-install linux so there must be software/firmware on the box that is not touched by flashing an image?
    The image includes everything - linux, enigma2, .....

Title
    Thanks
    OK thanks.
    If there can't possibly be anything else on the VU+ that would cause problems (other than hardware of course but that doesn't seem possible when only the GUI isn't displayed on the TV) I'll open another thread for this as it's a different issue and definitely Openvix related.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Try a different hdmi lead.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks I did try that, unfortunately no difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast