Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gigablue X2 crashes when trying to set mount for USB hard drive

Title
    Thanks

Gigablue X2 crashes when trying to set mount for USB hard drive

I've been using a USB hard disk with my GBX2 for some time - it worked fine. Yesterday, as the GBX2 was not rebooting properly, I had to re-flash the GBX2 with the latest OpenVIX image (5.4.003) and following this I've been unable to get the box to mount the USB disk. The disk is working fine (can be plugged into a PC and used without a problem, and it has previously been used for the GBX2). In Information -> Devices the USB disk appears correctly but when I try to mount it in mount manager I get "Mount failed". If I try using Setup mounts (green button) to change the mount point to /media/hdd I get a crash. I've re-flashed and re-tried 3 times now so obviously I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone please provide some advice? Crash log attached (I think).

Thanks,
    Dan
    Enigma2_crash_2021-01-11_00-23-23.log

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,887 Times in 2,242 Posts
    I will have a look - you have 2 partitions on the usb disk???
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    OK - thats an interesting one as MoutManager has been changed since this version ... can you try copying this version (below) into /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/ViX
    with putty login and thn enter init 4 (space between)
    with filezilla login, rename existing MountManager and copy the new MountManager to /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/ViX
    with putty enter init 6 (space between) and try again.

Let me know what happens!!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for helping. I followed your instructions and retried Setup mounts with the same result. New log file attached. I've also grabbed the fstab file and attached it (had to add a .txt extension so that this forum would allow it to be attached) but don't have the expertise to be able to interpret it. I saw a post somewhere that said you can hit problems like this if you leave the USB stick containing the new image plugged in too long after re-flashing - could that be what is happening here? I'm always nervous about taking out the USB stick with the new image on it too early because of the warnings about trashing your box if you remove it during the re-flashing process so maybe I left it in too long?

Perhaps I need to do a factory reset, re-flash, and try again?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Enigma2_crash_2021-01-11_11-09-43.logfstab.txt

Title
    Thanks
    Doh! Hang on, I missed a couple of steps of your instructions so I haven't followed them properly yet. Let me do that now and then try again. One question, to rename the existing MountManager and replace it, is that the .pyo file or the .py file?

Apologies,
    Dan

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Rename the .pyo file - the .py file is the source which is "compiled" when you restart, creating the new .pyo file.

Title
    Thanks
    Hmmm. I think I've now done what you suggested. I copied across the new MountManager.py, renamed the old MountManager.pyo and then after the restart I could see a fresh MountManager.pyo in that directory so the recompile seems to have happened. However, same result on trying to Setup mounts - new crash log attached. Some more information:
    - In Information -> Devices the disk is showing with a reasonable figure for the size of the disk (5000.980 GB). It says "Free: full" but the disk is not full - I just checked by plugging it into a PC and there's at least 100GB free. I assume this is a red herring as this disk has been similarly full in the past and worked fine plugged into the GBX2.
    - In Mount Manager there are 2 entries - I don't understand why. Both say "USB: Expansion Desk" with Size: unavailable, Mount: none, Device is /dev/sda1 for the first one and /dev/sda2 for the second. Type is listed as unavailable for both. Should there be 2 entries here? There's only one physical device plugged into a USB socket.
    - Have tried connecting the disk first with one USB socket and then the other - same result.
    - Have tried various combinations for changing the mount points - I tried just the first entry changed to /media/hdd, then tried both entries changed (to /media/hdd2 and /media/hdd3), then just the second entry changed, etc. I seem to get the same result whatever I try.
    - If I try the blue button (Mount) instead of the green button, then it doesn't crash but I get an error: Mount failed, with various details including an error code. For some reason the error code is always 256 if I use the blue button on the first entry and 65280 if I use the blue button on the second entry.

Thanks for your continued help.
    Dan

Enigma2_crash_2021-01-11_12-08-36.log

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for all that - I have only just come back in and I need to supply you with an updated version to give some debug.
    A question for you. The dmesg indicates that you have both sda1 and sda2 on the usb, but its saying there are no partitions defined . Are sd1 and sda2 actually formatted correctly???
    Dmesg .....
    <4>[ 16.684000] UDF-fs: warning (device sda1): udf_fill_super: No partition found (2)
    <4>[ 16.854000] UDF-fs: warning (device sda1): udf_fill_super: No partition found (2)
    <4>[ 18.466000] UDF-fs: warning (device sda2): udf_fill_super: No partition found (2)
    <4>[ 18.652000] UDF-fs: warning (device sda2): udf_fill_super: No partition found (2)
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    can you 1st turn on debug logs (menu/system/logs/settings ...... save somewhere reliable not flash!!), reboot (it should ask but if not reboot) and then try this and let me know the result. (again copy to /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/ViX).
    You may see a message displayed on screen
    Assuming it doesn't crash let me have debug log (post here)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Thanks for all that - I have only just come back in and I need to supply you with an updated version to give some debug.
    A question for you. The dmesg indicates that you have both sda1 and sda2 on the usb, but its saying there are no partitions defined . Are sd1 and sda2 actually formatted correctly???
    Dmesg .....
    <4>[ 16.684000] UDF-fs: warning (device sda1): udf_fill_super: No partition found (2)
    <4>[ 16.854000] UDF-fs: warning (device sda1): udf_fill_super: No partition found (2)
    <4>[ 18.466000] UDF-fs: warning (device sda2): udf_fill_super: No partition found (2)
    <4>[ 18.652000] UDF-fs: warning (device sda2): udf_fill_super: No partition found (2)

Apologies - have been on (ongoing) childcare duties.....

The disk that's plugged in is correctly partitioned - it's just a single NTFS partition. It reads and writes fine plugged into the PC and, until yesterday, worked fine on the GBX2. But the dmesg is wrong in saying that there are two devices on the USB - only one is plugged in.

I'll look at your other message later this evening. Not sure I can save the debug logs anywhere other than the flash because, of course, I have no disk storage until the problem is fixed. Will see what can be done. Do I need to install the new MountManager again?

Thanks,
    Dan

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Normally if i was setting up a new usb i would format on windows pc,then insert into box powered off.

format and initialize and it should show as ext4 as unsure if you already did that.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    can you 1st turn on debug logs (menu/system/logs/settings ...... save somewhere reliable not flash!!), reboot (it should ask but if not reboot) and then try this and let me know the result. (again copy to /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/ViX).
    You may see a message displayed on screen
    Assuming it doesn't crash let me have debug log (post here)

It did crash, but it first displayed an error message - something different from previous behaviour. Of course it was gone before I could note down what it said but I did note that it made some reference to a Microsoft reserved partition. Maybe it's in the debug logs.

I tried again but behaviour has now reverted to previous - crashing without the error message. I've attached a few debug logs - hope these are useful.

Thanks,
    Dan

Enigma2_debug_2021-01-11_17-44-33.log
    Enigma2_debug_2021-01-11_17-47-05.log
    Enigma2_crash_2021-01-11_17-46-55.log

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by point17 View Post
    Apologies - have been on (ongoing) childcare duties.....

The disk that's plugged in is correctly partitioned - it's just a single NTFS partition. It reads and writes fine plugged into the PC and, until yesterday, worked fine on the GBX2. But the dmesg is wrong in saying that there are two devices on the USB - only one is plugged in.

I'll look at your other message later this evening. Not sure I can save the debug logs anywhere other than the flash because, of course, I have no disk storage until the problem is fixed. Will see what can be done. Do I need to install the new MountManager again?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Yes, you need to copy over the latest MountManager - it has added debug.
    The hardware is seeing sda1 & sda2 allocated on the usb
    Flash is OK for this test!
    Assuming this test doesn‘t cause a crash, I would post the debug, then completely reformat the usb
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Quote Originally Posted by point17 View Post
    The disk that's plugged in is correctly partitioned - it's just a single NTFS partition.
    Presumably you need the ntfs plugin for the box to see that.
    So perhaps check the ntfs plugin from the feeds is still installed.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BefuddledBrian View Post
    Presumably you need the ntfs plugin for the box to see that.
    So perhaps check the ntfs plugin from the feeds is still installed.
    Good thinking - might simplify the code in this area
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast