Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: How to restore a full image backup

Title
    Thanks

How to restore a full image backup

I posted this in one of the stickies and realised that it's probably not the right place.

I want to simply restore a full openvix image backup of the SF8008 just like you can do with numerous other E2 boxes such as the VU+ models.

Could someone kindly explain the process to do that please? I have a zip file of a full running back up sitting here and no matter what I do I do not seem to be able to restore it.

BrokenUnusableAccount
    AFAIK on most boxes running OpenViX you can restore images that you make with the green button in image manager from within image manager by choosing an image and pressing the blue button.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks, I've just worked out that you need to put the backuped up image file into a folder on the usb stick called "imagebackups" and then you can see the backup in in order to restore it.

BrokenUnusableAccount
    It sounds like you are trying to move the image to a different box.
    Normally one just leaves the image backups where there were when they were made and that's where they need to be to restore them.
    The images made in Image Manager don't necessarily work the same as recovery images (Though I think it does depend on which model of box you have).
    I've found it's better to just keep settings backups and only flash recovery images and downloaded images.
    Once you've flashed you restore your settings and it's normally as good as restoring a full image of your working system.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BrokenUnusableAccount For This Useful Post:

cv05 (05-01-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BefuddledBrian View Post
    It sounds like you are trying to move the image to a different box.
    Yes! That's exactly what I am wanting to do. I know you can do restore a backup but it is nice to be able to move a full working image across knowing that it's going to take everything with it.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    You cant do that unless its from the same model of box. You can try transferring a settings backup instead
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    ... and even with a settings backup there will be some values that reflect the old box
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

9. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

ronand (05-01-21)

Title
    Thanks
    I recently replaced my miraclebox with a VU+Uno and transferred everything I needed across via ftp. The new box came with the latest image so I just needed to check a few settings, you'll soon find the settings you need to tweak through use, I also set up the power timers that I had on the miraclebox and installed the plugins that I needed and transferred the autotimer.xml and unwatched recordings via ftp/external usb drive. As soon as the autotimers were run my timers were created and I was up and running.
    VU+ Uno 4K SE Twin FBC Tuner 1TB HDD - Magic-FHD skin
    TV - LG OLED55CS6LA
    Remote - Logitech Harmony One

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    You cant do that unless its from the same model of box. You can try transferring a settings backup instead
    No I'm not trying to restore a full back up onto a different model box. I simply want to transfer it to another Octagon SF8008.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    So what's the problem then? We have no idea what you were trying to do - ye olde crystal ball doesn't work that well. Transfer the zip file to the image backup folder in the hard drive and restore it with the image manager. You don't unzip it.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    So what's the problem then? We have no idea what you were trying to do - ye olde crystal ball doesn't work that well. Transfer the zip file to the image backup folder in the hard drive and restore it with the image manager. You don't unzip it.
    What if the box I am trying to load the backup image onto has openvix on it but it's locked up, or if the box has another image on it. With other E2 boxes you just restore an image from the unzipped contents on a usb stick. With this box it seems the only way you can do that is via image manager.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    I couldn't quite follow the conversation elsewhere fully, from what I can understand, there are two types of images for multiboot devices. One is like other images and you can flash by USB. Others are "multi-boot images" and can only be flashed within an image.

If it is indeed a multi-boot image, you would flash a stock image by USB drive. And then flash your image backup.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

cv05 (05-01-21)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    You can flash the box from a usb stick with the appropriate recovery file and then restore your backup image . These boxes have a more complicated partition structure than what you are used to. There are separate flash files for usb flashing and for flashing from the image manager. the full backups you make are designed to be used with the image manager.

Edit: sorry I was a bit slow typing and abu has already summed it up.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

cv05 (05-01-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Ahh ok, well that explains that then. I've been trying unsuccessfully for a long time to do the impossible then :-) Apologies if I didn't explain it well enough.