Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no signal when connecting aerail to f plug wall socket but works wth sat dish

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    A few observations

The centre connector on the left hand side doesn’t look if its fully under the screw. It seems to be jammed between the screw and the wall of the fixing. tried pusing the copper wire down so it touches the screw but dont want to break anything if i force it

Coax cable that is crushed or folded as shown in the photo can behave in strange ways in that some frequencies may be effected and others not. It’s also possible to crush a cable with the use of inappropriate cable clips.noted

Ideally for digital TV and satellite any faceplate should be fully screened. A faceplate as shown on the photos can be the source of local electrical impulse appearing on the signal. noted

However, I’m still not sure why terrestrial TV would be blocked whilst satellite through the same cable and faceplates is OK. For satellite to work there must be a valid DC path to power the LNB and satellite is a much higher frequency than terrestrial TV. yes its very strange

One possibility is that the aerial signal level is marginal at the socket in room 1 but further attenuated by the time that it has gone through the extra cable to room 2 BUT I wouldn’t expect this to be true for a relatively short length of CT100/WF100/RG6 type (or equivalent) cable between rooms unless there is an inappropriate join in the cable along its run. The satellite output will have a higher signal level so the extra attenuation of signal will not matter.its all once cable socket to socket

Is it possible to use one of the TVs in both rooms to compare the signal levels at the two outputs? You have to use the same TV as the tuners will have different sensitivities and the signal level displayed on each TV will be an arbitrary level that cannot be compared between different manufacturers or models. i get all channels i put the tv in room 1 both sat and terestrial, sinal level fromn sat in room 2 is 100% but not for aireal feed as i get if lucky 12 channels only or none

Is the cable run between room 1 and room 2 a continuous length of cable with no intermediate joins? What is the approximate length of the cable? Do you know what type of cable has been used for the run between room1 and room 2?All one cable approx 7-8m

Although a very old article you can generally identify different types of cable …..

Code:
    http://www.wrightsaerials.co.uk/articles/coax-cable-quality.shtml
    Does the cable between room 1 and 2 run outside of the house? If so have you included a drip loop in the cable just before bringing it through the wall? Water ingress into or to the end of the cable can have unexpected performance results.the cabels are inside and run under trhe floor see post 6 of my diagram

The drip loop is a slack bit of cable that sits lower than the rest. The whole purpose is to let water pile up at the bottom and drip off. If your cables were tight, water from outside could travel down the wire and get straight into an outlet or faceplate.

Are you sure on the TV is room 2 that you are actually scanning for the correct transmitter and or the correct frequencies? For instance I have encountered TVs that have more than one mode of scanning. One mode is where the region is first chosen but unfortunately the info the TV had inbuilt was so far out-of-date that it scaned the wrong frequencies. The other mode had to be used which scanned all terrestrial frequencies.scanned for digital terstrial TV channels only , im shire i selcted london/ crysatl palace. I fi i use indoor aerail it works although ther eis interearance if i walk arounf the room as expected

Although I’m NOT suggesting that you change anything at this stage one easy way of making a fully screened faceplate that just routes the cable through is to fit F plugs to the cables that come through the wall. Drill a blank faceplate to accept F barrel connectors and screw the barrel connectors into the faceplate. all cabels have f conbectors as shown with push fit adatotors where required

Code:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-F-Barrel-Connector-Joiner-Coupler-Adaptor-Socket-Sky-Coax-cable-UK-SELLER/123418934233?hash=item1cbc577bd9:g:AzsAAOSwB8Rbvxvd

https://www.screwfix.com/p/1-gang-blanking-plate-white/4104d
    Note: if buying F barrel connectors just make sure the seller is including the fixing nuts and washers. These connectors are also used for joining cables so some (many) sellers will not include the nuts and washers. A deeper back box may also be required.
    I may have to call somone in to look at the faced plate, but will see if i can push the copper wire down to the screw

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    i get all channels i put the tv in room 1 both sat and terestrial, sinal level fromn sat in room 2 is 100% but not for aireal feed as i get if lucky 12 channels only or none
    You cannot compare the signal levels for satellite and terrestrial and assume that if one has enough signal then the other must have the same.
    i) the signal level from your LNB and the signal from your aerial will be completely different.
    ii) different tuners for satellite and terrestrial and they will have different sensitivities.

The fact that you can get all signals on TV 2 with an indoor aerial suggests that you probably live in a good reception area for crystal palace.

im shire i selcted london/ crysatl palace
    Is this exactly the same method of channel scan you used for your indoor aerial? As I mentioned before I’ve seen TVs that scan incorrectly if told the transmitter but scan OK if the scanning is for all possible channels. The broadcast channels from the transmitters have changed over the past few years so any information inbuilt to the TV about scanning from, say, London or Crystal Palace may be out of date. Try plugging in your indoor aerial and scanning in EXACTLY the same way to see what results you get.

all cabels have f conbectors as shown with push fit adatotors where required
    This shouldn’t be the problem.

I’m assuming that you are using EXACTLY the same fly lead from the wall plate to your TV for both satellite and aerial and TV in room 2 (using the adapter for the case of the aerial). If you are using different leads than perhaps suspect the fly lead.

I only suggested that a fully screen faceplate could be constructed from F barrel connectors which means that you don’t have to use an adapter at the faceplate.

Code:
    http://www.wrightsaerials.co.uk/reference/resources/multiple-outlet-plates.pdf
    Note: I’m not suggesting that the un-screened faceplate you have is the problem unless there is poor connection or crushed cable at the termination – just that there are better DIY solutions.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Its a new tv I channel scanned using the indoor aerial which works, althugh being indoor it dose pixelate from time to time or if i move about in the room 2.Prior to that I did try scanning from aerial socket in room1 a ns that worked ok before i moved it to room2 and wall mouted it.

The cable running between face plates under the floor to room 2 is OFC Copper digital coax suitable fr virgin media cable tv/broadband modem.
    I have tested by connecting my broad band modem to it and that works ok, as wel as my saterlight dish signal

Im usnf the sacme fly lead from face plate to tv, even tgris another coax and still the same problem with aerial feed in that room.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12