Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: Flashed new image - can't edit files over network anymore

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
Yes
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashed new image - can't edit files over network anymore

Title
    Thanks

Flashed new image - can't edit files over network anymore

Been running VIX for years. Last flash i had must have been one from last year.
    Anyway, with Samba installed, i usually access the files on the box directly with my video editor software, over the network.
    Never been a problem. Both PC and vusolo2 plugged into the network via the same switch. I can copy files across, read files, open them, all fine.
    But my video editing software now won't open the files, however if i copy them across and open them, it can.

The only change that has occurred is i flashed the latest image.
    Is there something i need to enable or something that is blocking real-time editing access to the files?

i need this to work as i record a ton of tv then every week quickly browse through it using my video software before deleting.

any ideas what could have changed?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Have you set a password for the network?

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...l=1#post503909

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    You need to set a password up on ViX 5.4. Been plenty of stickies regarding this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Maybe ....

Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    You need to set an ftp password for 5.4......

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...l=1#post503909

Post #2 shows you how to.

Title
    Thanks
    well i set the password via telnet.
    i've reverted back to a 2019 version of VIX, still got the same issue.
    yes i have samba installed.

i transferred the file from the solo2 to another PC, still on the same network: and the program i been using for years to scan through recorded files quickly, opens the file up fine.
    Swapped over ethernet cables, no difference.
    tried a different port on the switch also.

there's something about the way the file is buffering, or something, that videoredo (the program) doesn't like, and it just closes on its own. i been using it for years so the only change that has occurred is i flashed the new image.
    But even now flashing back to the previous one, hasn't fixed it.
    wish i'd backed it up now.

any ideas guys? the network transfer rate seems fine when i use flashfxp to transfer a file from the receiver to another computer on the network, 50mb/s (1 gig network).

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Curious with new image does your box get listed on a network search from within box?

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Is this problem with the files accessed directly over the network using Videoredo definitely repeatable with different recordings including old recordings recorded some time ago?
    What version of Videoredo are you using?
    I have 6.62.2.827 and I seem to be able to open and flick through files on my Zgemmah7 with it without problems.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BefuddledBrian View Post
    Is this problem with the files accessed directly over the network using Videoredo definitely repeatable with different recordings including old recordings recorded some time ago?
    I have 6.62.2.827 and I seem to be able to open and flick through files on my Zgemmah7 with it without problems.
    ok so this may help, i ran some speed tests with a 500mb file, from my main PC to the solo2, and then from my PC to another PC.
    Videoredo can read the same file from the other PC with no problem.

Read speed from other PC: 804mbps
    Read speed from solo2: 298mbps.

I think this is why it won't open.
    The solo2 has a 7200rpm 1tb disc drive in it, is this why? Maybe if i replace with a 1tb SSD it'll work?
    or should an old school disc drive be running better than this?

is it ok to use an SSD in the vu+?
    Last edited by hiohaa; 02-01-21 at 20:53.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hiohaa View Post
    ok so this may help, i ran some speed tests with a 500mb file, from my main PC to the solo2, and then from my PC to another PC.
    Videoredo can read the same file from the other PC with no problem.

Read speed from other PC: 804mbps
    Read speed from solo2: 298mbps.

I think this is why it won't open.
    The solo2 has a 5400rpm 1tb disc drive in it, is this why? Maybe if i replace with a 1tb SSD it'll work?
    or should an old school disc drive be running better than this?

is it ok to use an SSD in the vu+?
    If it can't open the files then I'd have thought it highly unlikely the disc speeds will make a scrap of difference.

Maybe switch on debug logs and see if that gives any clues.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I would still like to know if this box sees itself on a network browser scan and access its hdd.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    I would still like to know if this box sees itself on a network browser scan and access its hdd.
    i'm not sure what you meanm here - where do i go in VIX to check this?
    if i go to network>network test> i get complete results.
    if i go to network>browse network> i see all my other computers on the network.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hiohaa For This Useful Post:

cactikid (03-01-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    If it can't open the files then I'd have thought it highly unlikely the disc speeds will make a scrap of difference.

Maybe switch on debug logs and see if that gives any clues.
    would the log show anything when another pc on the network is accessing the solo2's media files?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BefuddledBrian View Post
    yup, repeatable but only for larger file sizes. Anything under 2gig and it opens fine.
    It's like the program is timing out whilst its loading the larger file, gives up and closes on its own. But they insist that its not the program for a number of reasons.
    i'm on version 6.61.3.821, but even if i install my older v4, its not working like it was.

Title
    Thanks
    it has to be an issue with the box, but i cannot think what it could be. Videoredo has no problem opening the same file from the other computer on the same network.
    I'ts not the ethernet cable either, i swapped it over to test.

is there some ports or something i need to enable or some setting in VIX to enable...smooth transfer or streaming capability or something?
    it's not the software, if it's opening the same file with no issue on another computer on the network (from my main PC).
    its not the cable.
    therefore it has to be the solo2. but i cannot think what! are there any other network tests i can do with it?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hiohaa View Post
    it has to be an issue with the box, but i cannot think what it could be. Videoredo has no problem opening the same file from the other computer on the same network.
    I'ts not the ethernet cable either, i swapped it over to test.

is there some ports or something i need to enable or some setting in VIX to enable...smooth transfer or streaming capability or something?
    it's not the software, if it's opening the same file with no issue on another computer on the network (from my main PC).
    its not the cable.
    therefore it has to be the solo2. but i cannot think what! are there any other network tests i can do with it?
    What does the videoredo log show???
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast