Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: EPG Refresh Not Picking Up CH4HD or FreeSportHD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

EPG Refresh Not Picking Up CH4HD or FreeSportHD

I updated to 5.4.003 and have been using EPG Refresh but it is not reliably picking up the 2 extra HD programmes. Manual scan of transponders finds services. ABM scan finds 186 services which I think is the correct number for Freesat + the 2 extra channels.
    Have custom.xml with both HD services. Run EPG Refresh and only current programmes appear in EPG. Press Blue and EPG Refresh shows "EPG Refresh Stop Refresh" for long periods.
    Think I should go back to CrossEPG which seemed to work well??

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Which service are you using to absorb EPG data?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Which service are you using to absorb EPG data?
    I really don't know. I've set it up with Freesat. Service implies a channel?? ABM provider is Freesat UK, Sky UK No. Apart from manually scanning for the 2 HD services and adding the customer.xml, I've relied on whatever the OV and Refresh EPG etc does as standard??
    I'm getting hacked off with this system. Yes, it is flexible etc but seems completely unreliable. I really should need an IT HNC to understand and work it.

Just ran CrossEPG and every programme is on Ch4HD and FSHD is on EPG.

So, how do I disable the garbage RefreshEPG??
    Last edited by CRMS; 20-12-20 at 00:34.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CRMS
    I'm getting hacked off with this system. Yes, it is flexible etc but seems completely unreliable. I really should need an IT HNC to understand and work it.
    But back in the real world you are attempting (and succeeding) to get services with a full 7 day EPG that alternative boxes either will not give you or require a subscription (or maybe other means that may/will require a greater knowledge)

I'm still getting reliable over the air 7 day EPG for Ch4HD by following the advice given these forums which I know you have participated in. (Tuning into IEPG for 10 minutes a day)

So, how do I disable the garbage RefreshEPG??
    menu -> setup -> epg -> epg refresh -> Refresh EPG automatically = no
    Press blue (edit services) -> highlight the channel and press yellow to delete.
    Last edited by adm; 20-12-20 at 01:10.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    I thought we were talking about EPG. If so, ABM is irrelevant. There is no standard for EPG refresh, you have to tell it which service/channel to zap/tune to in order to absorb EPG. If you don't set a service/channel, it tunes/zaps to nothing. It does nothing. I am pretty sure I listed the service to use in the guide. You have been referred to it a few times already. If it isn't clear, please say where you get lost and we can try and improve it.

EPG Refresh is just a channel zapping plugin.

Anyway, your issue is resolved. So glad to hear.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    OK, I've followed the guide at https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...off-the-stream
    as best I can.

1. EPG settings - Enable EIT EPG, Freesat and OpenTV "Yes".

2. EPG Refresh - 180 seconds and Fake recording

3. Edit Services - Editing.... Channels - New - Satellites

Then shows 2 folder lines:
    Current transponder
    28.2E Astra 2....-Services

Select 28.2E and get an alphabetical list of Services. No sign of IEPG data 1 as at para 2e.

Using "Yellow Providers" produces
    BSkyB
    Freesat
    FREESAT
    SES
    SES Astra
    Unknown

So, I can't read in the guide where to go or what to select??

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    @CRMS. If you don't have a SKY bouquet set up (i.e. only Freesat), then you will not see the IEPG channel in the list to configure EPGRefresh. If you don't want/need a SKY bouquet, then use CrossEPG as you have done previously. I do use EPGRefresh on one box and sometimes it is flaky, but I'm a tester and I know how to sort it when it goes wrong. On my other two boxes I use CrossEPG - stable, dedicated, has its own database and basically reads the same data from the SKY transponder. I would recommend that in preference to EPGRefresh/IEPG channel if you do not run ABM for SKY (or have the IEPG channel in your list of services).
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

cactikid (20-12-20)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Don't use the yellow button "providers" - use the green button "extended" and select 28.2E - now you will have the full list of channels and you should see IEPG data 1
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

cactikid (20-12-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Will it be clearer if

2c. You will open up in bouquets. Press Green for satellites. (I’m ignoring bouquets for this guide, this is because not all services are in bouquets. Carry on if you want to!)
    2d. Highlight and select cable services.

Changed to:

2c. You will open up in bouquets if that is channel selection method you used last.
    2d. Do not use Favourites. Press Green for satellites/extended.
    2e. Select the orbital position that you want to use. Example: 28.2, 19.2, Terrestrial services, Cable services,
    2f. Scroll down and select the channel you want to use. It varies for providers, see list above.

Add
    If the service you require is not visible, perform a manual scan
    Menu > Setup > Tuners & scanning > Manual Scan > Select correct tuner for service you want to scan
    Type of scan = Predefined scan
    Transponder = Press right/left and select the Transponder you want to scan
    Once highlighted, press Green to scan

Note: Some images have "Service searching" or "Reception" instead of "Tuners & Scanning"

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks. So I have the CrossEPG and Refresh EPG plugins, so can I delete REPG as well??
    And then in EPG - Settings - Enable OpenTV EPG "No" ??
    Which would just leave - Enable CrossEPG "Yes".??

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CRMS View Post
    Where are you seeing this in EPG settings? I don't have that option.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Menu - Setup - EPG - Settings and a full screen of items.

CS_20201220_175635.jpg

Title
    Thanks
    I still don't see where you are seeing this:

With reference to the picture you have provided, as mentioned before, the ViX manual suggests you leave the Automatic Refresh option disabled. EPG is absorbed all the time and held in RAM. Reading it from the storage medium means that it is lost and you re-import what was saved.

Title
    Thanks
    Here is a picture of my settings. Please consider using those, they are defaults and work for almost everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    @CRMS - if you continue to use both EPGRefresh and CrossEPG you potentially will have issues/conflicts.

CrossEPG - fully standalone, minimal configuration, has its own database and updates the EPG automatically after each run. You don't need Freesat EPG or OpenTV EPG enabled in the EPG settings but won't affect CrossEPG if you do. Sometimes having Freesat EPG enabled also can cause some clashes on listing details in the GUI. But, I've found that if you don't have Freesat EPG enabled, then you won't get the radio EPG - choices eh!

EPGRefresh - this is basically just a channel zapper/dummy recorder. You configure it to tune a specific channel (e.g.IEPG on SKY). The built-in facility in Vix (OpenTV reader) will absorb the EPG table data from the channel and update the GUI EPG. You have various configuration options including one to clear the EPG data beforehand. You must have "Enable OpenTV EPG" set to yes in the EPG menu.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers