Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A few questions

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    As has already been said, use a switch, this will effectively increase the number of ethernet ports you can connect to your router.

Maybe post a simple diagram of what you've currently got.
    You dont seem to understand that a switch is not required. I dont need more ports for my router. The receiver is is my parents bedroom. Currently there is a lan cable going from where the receiver is to the router. However i am getting virgin installed soon and the virgin HUB will be situated in my parents room because that is where the virgin cable is sitting. I cant move that cable anywhere because its already pinned against the wall. So i plan to use this cable i now have from the hub into the router. (making the hub modem only mode)

I cant add any more wires because the router is in a diff room and there is a cupboard now blocking that hole we have made.

I ideally do not want a homeplug because we have already hidden all the wires and i dont want to make more.

That is why i am asking if there is any compatible wifi dongle that can be used with these receivers. There are a bunch of wifi drivers that are available on VIX but i have no idea which dongle these products are.
    So does anyone here use a wifi dongle to connect to the network?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    As has already been said, use a switch, this will effectively increase the number of ethernet ports you can connect to your router.

Maybe post a simple diagram of what you've currently got.

Here's a dongle, but's it's a very old thread....,

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...l=1#post345447

2.4Mhz is often more stable than 5Mhz, but conditions vary, I guess.
    Thanks for that

Dunno how easy it would be to get that product. Let me have a look now

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    There are 8 wires in a CAT5 cable but only 2 pairs (4 cables) are actually used. You can easily convert the single cable that you have to a twin socket - you just need to do it at both ends. In case studying the wiring diagrams is too much for you then you can get splitters like this
    Code:
    amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BVNF6C9/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07BVNF6C9&pd_rd_w=rJpWV&pf_rd_p=1055d8b2-c10c-4d7d-b50d-96300553e15d&pd_rd_wg=Y8qz9&pf_rd_r=DCBQPQMH8WBX0RN56PE8&pd_rd_r=55dc2261-0ba3-4bd3-8244-37c8a4f1f000&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExQ0s3RDcyUVNDTDAwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTYyNjMyMVowUDFZRFZKTjZOSyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTI5MzMxMjBVSlJYNjZDTkpNMCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    You must use them at both ends and will work at 100Mbs speed.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joysleep1 View Post
    You dont seem to understand that a switch is not required. I dont need more ports for my router.
    Ok, but your latest description of what's actually going to happen is a bit different from post #1.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Ok, but your latest description of what's actually going to happen is a bit different from post #1.
    Yes sorry i agree bad. Apologies. Just very confusing to explain the sitation

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    There are 8 wires in a CAT5 cable but only 2 pairs (4 cables) are actually used. You can easily convert the single cable that you have to a twin socket - you just need to do it at both ends. In case studying the wiring diagrams is too much for you then you can get splitters like this
    Code:
    amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BVNF6C9/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07BVNF6C9&pd_rd_w=rJpWV&pf_rd_p=1055d8b2-c10c-4d7d-b50d-96300553e15d&pd_rd_wg=Y8qz9&pf_rd_r=DCBQPQMH8WBX0RN56PE8&pd_rd_r=55dc2261-0ba3-4bd3-8244-37c8a4f1f000&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExQ0s3RDcyUVNDTDAwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTYyNjMyMVowUDFZRFZKTjZOSyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTI5MzMxMjBVSlJYNjZDTkpNMCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    You must use them at both ends and will work at 100Mbs speed.
    Thanks abu but the reviews on that look pretty poor and i would want gigabit connection ideally. I was just hoping for more dongle that i can get but the one CCS posted is a bit rare right now.

If there is guidance or a table of which ones would work that would be very helpful.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    So yh i could just buy a single bay NAS and insert a large TB 3.5 inch HDD and i can access all my movie files and other stuff like that but it would be exactly the same thing if its installed into the receiver instead.

With a NAS i have to find a place to store it next to GIGABIT connection and then buy the HDD and NAS seprately.
    Is there anyway i can know if the receiver has a MAX HDD limit.

Thanks

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joysleep1 View Post
    Is there anyway i can know if the receiver has a MAX HDD limit.
    Another old quote, don't quote me if it doesn't work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post
    Hi,

Linux/E2 can handle 8TB 3.5 drives so Linux does not care. I meant you will not be able to purchase an internal 2.5 hdd >2TB at the moment.

ciao
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...l=1#post390931

Google....

I'm using Vu+ Ultimo4K with OpenATV image and Seagate 3.5, 8TB, SATA3, BarraCuda Hard Drive, 5400RPM, 256MB Cache.

I did not put the drive in a PC, the new drive came out of the packaging and straight into the Ultimo4K.

I initialised the drive with the following settings, EXT4, 1 partition.

All 8TB is available.
    Last edited by ccs; 08-12-20 at 12:29.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Another old quote, don't quote me if it doesn't work for you.

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...l=1#post390931

Google....
    Oh that is very helpful .

Thanks

Now just need get a compatible dongle. has anyone purchased the dongle from the sponsor to work for their receiver. I klnow it is not dual band but would like some reviews on it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12