Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

A few questions

Hi Guys

I have a few questions that i am hoping you guys can answer.

So i purchased an xtrend 8000 receiver for my parents room to have some light viewing. The issue is that the ethernet cable that was going to provide the internet to the receiver is now going to be used for my new virgin media HUB to the router. I want to avoid using homeplug. Is there any DUAL band compatible USB wifi dongle that can work with this receiver. I would much rather use 5ghz network as its more stable in my house. I dont expect lightning speeds with the usb. Just network connection will do. I had a look at the drivers and there is a bunch of compatible ones but i got no idea what this means in which actual prodcut to purchase.

Next question is that i plan on moving my current 4tb hardrive and putting it into this receiver and i plan on getting a bigger one. Is there a size limit for my ultimo 4k receiver in what hardrive it will accept. I would like to get a 12tb in the future.

Last question is that i have around 3tb worth of data on my current one and i would like to transfer that into my new one when i get it. I plan to insert the hardrives into the receivers and then use SABMA (windows) to copy the whole lot which would take hours but i take it there is no faster or better way than this?

If anyone has any input it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Why not just use a switch and hardwire everything?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    If that room has a lan cable you can add a network switch to give you more lan feeds,they come in many sizes 4 ---how many you need.

12 tb might be too big as not sure how big one can go on e2 boxes.

How long would it take to access very large tb and to load content.?
    Last edited by cactikid; 07-12-20 at 21:20.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Why not just use a switch and hardwire everything?
    OK this is complicated to explain. The ethernet cable goes behind the wall into an other room where the router will be. I csn not feed another cable because a large cupboard is now blocking that hole. So I was hoping a simple USB WiFi dongle would work. Is this possible?

A gigabit switch won't work because the ethernet cable is now going to be used for something else and that's the only feed directly from the router.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    If that room has a lan cable you can add a network switch to give you more lan feeds,they come in many sizes 4 ---how many you need.

That's what I wanted to know. Is there a limit? If so does anyone know the maximum size possible?
    Thanks

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Invest in a NAS and all E2 boxes will be able to record to it and watch content from it. Mine has 36 Tb of hard disks in it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

cactikid (07-12-20)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post

What do you mean access content. I will just use this hardrive to load all my movies and stuff. Plus recordings and pictures from years that we have

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Willo3092 View Post
    Invest in a NAS and all E2 boxes will be able to record to it and watch content from it. Mine has 36 Tb of hard disks in it.
    Thing is. I domt really need a nas because all enigma 2 receivers can access each others stuff and so my box already behaves like a nas. Esp because I can use Samba to manage where I put my content.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Willo3092 View Post
    Bloody hell m8 think we might need to see a photo of that,is it a raid you have with how many inserts.?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joysleep1 View Post

Next question is that i plan on moving my current 4tb hardrive and putting it into this receiver and i plan on getting a bigger one. Is there a size limit for my ultimo 4k receiver in what hardrive it will accept. I would like to get a 12tb in the future.
    If it's an internal disk just be careful to also check the physical size of the disk. Larger capacity 2.5" disks are often twice the height of the smaller capacity 2.5" disks.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    If it's an internal disk just be careful to also check the physical size of the disk. Larger capacity 2.5" disks are often twice the height of the smaller capacity 2.5" disks.

Well its going to be a standard 3.5inch hdd. Physical size won't be an issue but I just don't know if these receivers have a max hdd limit?

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Quote Originally Posted by joysleep1 View Post
    OK this is complicated to explain. The ethernet cable goes behind the wall into an other room where the router will be. I csn not feed another cable because a large cupboard is now blocking that hole. So I was hoping a simple USB WiFi dongle would work. Is this possible?

A gigabit switch won't work because the ethernet cable is now going to be used for something else and that's the only feed directly from the router.
    It's not going to be connected to the router anymore?

There are supposed to be some USB Wi-Fi dongles that work with OpenViX but I don't know the details.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BefuddledBrian View Post
    It's not going to be connected to the router anymore?

There are supposed to be some USB Wi-Fi dongles that work with OpenViX but I don't know the details.
    The modem will deactivate the lan ports and so the ethernet will go from the router through the wall and to the router the other side. I would like to avoid homeplugs because this adds extra wires and i have already set up trunkings to hide the wires.

Thats why i was hoping someone can suggest a wifi dongle. It will have good signal because the router is just in the next room.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Does anyone have a larger than 4tb HDD in their receiver?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    As has already been said, use a switch, this will effectively increase the number of ethernet ports you can connect to your router.

Maybe post a simple diagram of what you've currently got.

Here's a dongle, but's it's a very old thread....,

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...l=1#post345447

2.4Mhz is often more stable than 5Mhz, but conditions vary, I guess.
    Last edited by ccs; 08-12-20 at 11:08.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast