Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: Colon symbol in Directory Name

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colon symbol in Directory Name

Title
    Thanks

Colon symbol in Directory Name

I had recorded three episodes of Strike: The Cuckoo's Calling and decided to place them in their own directory so I highlighted one of them and pressed Menu and selected Create Directory, the virtual keyboard is displayed with the name in the edit field so pressing green creates the directory. I then moved the three recordings into the directory, but when I opened the directory no recordings were visible. OpenWebif did not display them either. The files were displayed in Filezilla. I edited the directory name and removed the colon and the files are now displayed as expected. Is the colon symbol a delimiter in Linux? That might explain why the directory could not be found, anyway just a workaround for anyone seeing the same behaviour.
    VU+ Uno 4K SE Twin FBC Tuner 1TB HDD - Magic-FHD skin
    TV - LG OLED55CS6LA
    Remote - Logitech Harmony One

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Can’t use ‘:’ when creating directories/folders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    Instead of colon I used something similar from the Windows Character Map where the dots were like little triangles close up, but from distance looked like dots. That was my workaround.

Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    Can’t use ‘:’ when creating directories/folders

Well I know that now.

Does anyone know why this is a problem?
    TV - LG OLED55CS6LA

Title
    Thanks

Doesn’t work on Windows either. I’d look at the alternative I suggested above.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    Doesn’t work on Windows either. I’d look at the alternative I suggested above.

I'm not sure your solution would work in Vix, far far simpler to just remove the offending colon or replace it with a space.

Obviously, if you are creating a directory by hand, then you should be aware that the colon shoiuld not be used and if you are using the Create Directory command, colons should be removed from file names, along with slashes I expect.

@Birdman will know the answer as to why it doesnt work - maybe a system set delimiter?
    TV - LG OLED55CS6LA

Title
    Thanks

My workaround looks better than a space, especially if you have a space in the title too. But if you are happy with a space, that is all that matters.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    I think there is a subtle problem with colons in movielist directory names.

Directories and recordings can be created with colons in their name, recordings with colons can be played ok, they can be copied into a folder with a colon in the name, but when you go into the folder, the recording is not shown. Remove the colon from the folder name and the recording is back again.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Yes I noticed that too. I was just using the automatic way of creating a folder while a file name was highlighted in the file browser (its a handy feature btw). It would be nice if colons were stripped when creating the folder name. Its not a big thing as I now know to delete them but I was puzzled as to where my files went after moving them to the new folder.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

Valiant (24-11-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiant View Post
    Is the colon symbol a delimiter in Linux?
    The only characters you can't have in a directory entry in Linux are '/' (the directory separator) and NUL (end-of-string marker in C).
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

12. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

Valiant (24-11-20)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    The only characters you can't have in a directory entry in Linux are '/' (the directory separator) and NUL (end-of-string marker in C).
    So the root of the problem is the file browser/media player?
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiant View Post
    @Birdman will know the answer as to why it doesnt work - maybe a system set delimiter?
    My guess as to why it doesn't work in Vix is because it might be writing this onto an ntfs file system, or a remote file-share where different (probably Microsoft) rules apply. So simpler and safer just to disallow it everywhere.

I have a similar issue with some scripts I use to download Podcasts from the BBC. I make the file-names from the episode titles, but since I then have to copy these onto my 'phone to listen to them (while out walking) I have to cater for the "limitations" of allowed characters on an exfat (Microsoft) file system. Hence this comment in my scripts.

Code:
    # Need to remove a few annoying/special characters
    # Since we intend to move this onto an ExFat partition on a phone
    # we need to allow for Microsoft disallowed chars, namely:
    #   \/:*?"<>|
    # and control chars. Change all to _.
    #
    nsp_title=`echo $title | tr '[:cntrl:] \/:*?"<>|' '_'
    (yes, that also does spaces, but that's for my convenience on a command-line).
    Last edited by birdman; 24-11-20 at 14:39.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

15. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

Valiant (24-11-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    I believe the colon symbol messes with the PATH setting in linux which uses colons as a separator in directory path names. The process generating the directory names from the file names should probably sanitise the strings to exclude special characters.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    I believe the colon symbol messes with the PATH setting in linux which uses colons as a separator in directory path names.
    No, that's MS Windows (or the DOS part of it at least). Linux is only interested in '/' as a directory separator.
    Actual file-systems (which is more relevant than the OS) may impose additional restrictions.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    My $PATH variable in linux mint:

Code:
    ~$ echo $PATH
    /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast