Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Equipment Do I Need For 10 Tuners + 4 Sky Box Tuners?

Title
    Thanks
    I think you guys need to come up with a different name then for physical tuners and non-physical tuners to avoid confusion. I wasn't confused but you seem to be confused about what I'm referring to. I was always referring to physical tuners and I said "I have 2 VU+ boxes which each have 2 twin FBC tuners (4 tuners on each box)". I thought that was pretty clear what I was referring to as I said the word "twin". When I said twin FBC tuners that is the name that World of Satellite calls them here: https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...me=fbc%20tuner

What am I supposed to call the physical tuners if twin FBC tuner isn't the correct name? The non-physical tuners aren't the issue, it's the number of physical sat cable ports available on my dishes that's my issue.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    An FBC tuner card/module always comes in the combination I said (2+6 =8). You actually have two FBC cards/modules in the ultimo 4k, not four! Call the card/unit "DVB S2X satellite FBC module".

For the last time, you need to cater for 16 tuners/demodulators on the Ultimo 4K (based on your last description). You can fit another card in the legacy port! If you do not accept this, you will keep getting it wrong. If you ignore the ones without the physical connection, you will not get adequate hardware and will also configure them incorrectly. Your refusal to accept this is probably why you want to buy another receiver.

Anyway, good luck. I am not going to spend any more time as the suggestion have already been given in post 11. Its your money and time.

Title
    Thanks
    What is the legacy port you're refrerring to? I thought you can only fit 2 twin FBC modules to a box? That's what World of Satellite told me.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyFan View Post
    What is the legacy port you're refrerring to? I thought you can only fit 2 twin FBC modules to a box? That's what World of Satellite told me.
    There is also another slot for another standard satellite or cable/terrestrial tuner as well as the 2 FBC tuners

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyFan View Post
    That's what World of Satellite told me.
    It depends what you asked. If you asked "How many FBC satellites cards can I fit in the box?", then 2 is the correct answer. If you asked how many and what kind of tuner cards can I fit in an Ultimo 4k? You would have got a different answer.

Didn't you see the picture I posted for you?
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...l=1#post504842

Title
    Thanks
    Yes I saw it thanks.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    >Why would a bigger dish stop the rain fade issue?

Because a larger dish effectively has a narrower beam with a greater signal gain to cope with weaker signals. Which can be the result of geographic location and atmospheric conditions. A larger dish has to be aligned more accurately.
    I use a 64cm dish in UK and Northern France, but 85cm in Switzerland for Astra2 to cope with reduced signal strength.
    A sky dish is the cheapest and most rubbishy bit of kit. Designed for a single purpose. Works best in a skip.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CRMS View Post
    >Why would a bigger dish stop the rain fade issue?

Because a larger dish effectively has a narrower beam with a greater signal gain to cope with weaker signals. Which can be the result of geographic location and atmospheric conditions. A larger dish has to be aligned more accurately.
    I use a 64cm dish in UK and Northern France, but 85cm in Switzerland for Astra2 to cope with reduced signal strength.
    A sky dish is the cheapest and most rubbishy bit of kit. Designed for a single purpose. Works best in a skip.
    No, a sky dish when matched with a suitable (oval aperture) LNB and pointed at a satellite that it was designed for in a country where the signal from the satellite is aimed works well for millions of people. It will not work well the as you go out of the satellite main footprint area and is probably not suitable for mobile use. For a purchase price of under £25 on Ebay for the dish, LNB, and including postage it is good value for money!
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (11-11-20),Andy_Hazza (11-11-20)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    What???

Think you need to read the post correctly. I was answering his Q about a bigger dish!!

A sky dish is OK but limited. As you say designed for one purpose.

The OP was asking about bigger dishes - not a bigger sky dish. What I wrote about signal strength wrt rain fade and location is correct. And I alluded to being designed for single purpose - including - "A sky dish is the cheapest and most rubbishy bit of kit. Designed for a single purpose."

Indeed you wrote last night "Get rid of the two dish setup, get a bigger dish so your rain fade issue is nullified." The OP then asked his Q, which I answered correctly with an example. Because no-one else had answered it!!

Title
    Thanks
    Item 154149212602 on a popular auction site. £33 for a 16 channel switch. Cheaper ones available but saves faffing about to get a PSU. You will have to get a quattro LNB.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12