Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuner Chipsets and Drivers Info Developer Assistance

Title
    Thanks

Tuner Chipsets and Drivers Info Developer Assistance

I'm in the USA. I've pondered purchasing a VU+ receiver to be shipped here for some time now but am having decision selection problems.
    Developers obviously have source code to build drivers for their pluggable tuners. So they must have the tuners in hand to build and debug the drivers.
    I've asked WOS for info on tuner options for the Ultimo and others. The VU+ site only shows photos and no details.
    Could someone give me a list of the tuner chipsets so that I could narrow down my selections?

I have an HDHomerun tuner that works great for in the clear cable H256 channels and no over the air ATSC channels I can receive here.
    My first sat receiver was a Zgemma H7-AC. The specs said it would receive cable channels. It never did. I had the frequency log from the HDHomerun with all of the parameters to plug into the Zgemma. It never acknowledged a frequency existed.
    My Edision Os Mio 4k has a terrestrial/cable tuner. I haven't tried hooking up my cable to it (need and adapter for F to it).

Cable doesn't matter that much. C and ku band does. Things like blindscans, 4 MHz closely spaced frequencies, t2-MI, MIS, ACM/VCM does matter.
    A photo of a tuner on the VU+ site and details of chips contained in them are pretty sparse. If any at all.
    WOS gives the option of tuner selection for receivers, just no information of tuner details. Receivers at least have the processor and capabilities listed.
    What would it take or where would I go to check the inner details of tuner components? Or compatibility between the various receivers?

I have a few friends over across the pond who took WOS tuner selection suggestions and haven't had that good of and experience.
    I'm not a level 1 geek and of course there is not a walk in store to see before I buy.

Where does a person go to find out the tuner inner details? I have a contact who would ship here from the UK to give a VU+ a go on a trial basis to review their performance with different tuners and images.

Anybody?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArloG View Post
    Developers obviously have source code to build drivers for their pluggable tuners. So they must have the tuners in hand to build and debug the drivers.
    The tuner drivers are only supplied by the manufacturers, so the source is not available to image developers.

Title
    Thanks
    I'm aware of the nondiscloseure agreement for those that do release the source.
    So how can I find the chipsets in these tuners? Some other tuners list an AVL, BCMxxxx, etc. chip.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,141 Times in 1,627 Posts
    I'm in the USA. I've pondered purchasing a VU+ receiver to be shipped here for some time now but am having decision selection problems.
    I've asked WOS for info on tuner options for the Ultimo and others. The VU+ site only shows photos and no details.
    Could someone give me a list of the tuner chipsets so that I could narrow down my selections?

I have an HDHomerun tuner that works great for in the clear cable H256 channels and no over the air ATSC channels I can receive here.
    My first sat receiver was a Zgemma H7-AC. The specs said it would receive cable channels. It never did. I had the frequency log from the HDHomerun with all of the parameters to plug into the Zgemma. It never acknowledged a frequency existed.
    My Edision Os Mio 4k has a terrestrial/cable tuner. I haven't tried hooking up my cable to it (need and adapter for F to it).

Cable doesn't matter that much. C and ku band does. Things like blindscans, 4 MHz closely spaced frequencies, t2-MI, MIS, ACM/VCM does matter.
    A photo of a tuner on the VU+ site and details of chips contained in them are pretty sparse. If any at all.
    WOS gives the option of tuner selection for receivers, just no information of tuner details. Receivers at least have the processor and capabilities listed.
    What would it take or where would I go to check the inner details of tuner components? Or compatibility between the various receivers?

I have a few friends over across the pond who took WOS tuner selection suggestions and haven't had that good of and experience.
    I'm not a level 1 geek and of course there is not a walk in store to see before I buy.

Where does a person go to find out the tuner inner details? I have a contact who would ship here from the UK to give a VU+ a go on a trial basis to review their performance with different tuners and images.

Anybody?
    I think you are probably pretty clued up via your discussions with el bandido and to be honest if you are not getting what you require from the Edision, I certainly wouldn‘t expect you to get it from a Vu+ box.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    twol. Not the response I expected. The H7 and Mio differ in the fact that one 2 satellite tuners and the other has 1. I used the H7's dual tuners.
    el bandido has been helpful and informative. Perhaps I think that a VU+ with its front panel display is pretty slick.
    And unlike the other boxes I own that have soldered in place tuners, I get a choice of tuners with the others.
    It's pretty straight forward. At the hardware level I was just inquiring if any tuner chipset info was available. Perhaps extracting a VU+ image would tell me more.
    What if I wanted to pursue unicable? Or maybe be a little more assured a terrestrial/cable tuner would respond to manually inputting frequencies and show in signal finder.
    But thanks anyway. About as much information as I got from WOS.

Title
    Thanks
    Drivers are closed source - only the manufacturers will have the info you need. Its a bit unfair expecting UK retailers to know about the US systems that they have no access too - there must be some dealers in the USA that know something about satellite?
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 5.4, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 AVR , LG UBK80 4K Bluray & a Playstation 4.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    Drivers are closed source - only the manufacturers will have the info you need. Its a bit unfair expecting UK retailers to know about the US systems that they have no access too - there must be some dealers in the USA that know something about satellite?
    My apologies if my question is confusing. Not unfair at all really. Lets put it this way. If I knew what chipset a tuner was constructed with my decision would be much easier.
    Take for instance my Os Mio 4k. If I press the Menu remote button and scroll to Information>Devices, Tuner A is an Availink AVL6261 (DVB-SX2). Tuner B is an Avialink AVL6762.
    The tuners are soldered in place and I know what I'm getting before purchasing. No dealers in the US that I know sell VU+. But many European dealers sell Edision's.
    Arrrr, me laddy. Do ye agree so farrrrrr?

So WOS sells this tuner:

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...c-tuner-module

And if you installed it in your receiver what would the same button sequence reveal?
    If you have one of these receivers and know the tuner(s) by description, what does your devices reveal?
    We know a lot about your inquiry. As long as we know what we're getting in the box or as an accessory.

So would somebody jump in as a favor and list what you have please?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,141 Times in 1,627 Posts
    My apologies if my question is confusing. Not unfair at all really. Lets put it this way. If I knew what chipset a tuner was constructed with my decision would be much easier.
    Take for instance my Os Mio 4k. If I press the Menu remote button and scroll to Information>Devices, Tuner A is an Availink AVL6261 (DVB-SX2). Tuner B is an Avialink AVL6762.
    The tuners are soldered in place and I know what I'm getting before purchasing. No dealers in the US that I know sell VU+. But many European dealers sell Edision's.

So WOS sells this tuner:

And if you installed it in your receiver what would the same button sequence reveal?
    If you have one of these receivers and know the tuner(s) by description, what does your devices reveal?
    We know a lot about your inquiry. As long as we know what we're getting in the box or as an accessory.

So backoff laddie !
    What do you want from these technologies? What are you trying to do? You can have many different technologies that can achieve the same result (some better than others)
    There are a couple of receivers like the Edision that are really sensitive ( but you can‘t be bothered to test the drivers you were given) .. so what are you are actually after!!

This is not the 1st forum you have been busy posting over several months, so what are you really after?
    Last edited by twol; 04-11-20 at 20:28.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

ccs (04-11-20),el bandido (04-11-20)

Title
    Thanks
    From memory it just shows up as a turbo tuner in the menu which isn't the info you need - "Vuplus DVB-T/C USB NIM(TURBO)" Its a few years since I have seen one. They only work on vu boxes as well and not many people bother with them
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 5.4, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 AVR , LG UBK80 4K Bluray & a Playstation 4.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

So WOS sells this tuner:

Within the Vix image the tuner type is in
    menu -> setup -> tuners and scanning -> tuner setup

Which will show something like
    For an Extrend ET10000

tuner1.jpg

and when selecting one of the satellite tuners....

tuner3.jpg

and for a Zgemma H9S

tuner2.jpg

Athough NOT the tuners in the boxes you are considering is this the type of information you are looking for?
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (UK Freesat channels), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview channels)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Vuplus DVB-C NIM(BCM3158) (DVB-C)
    Vuplus DVB-S NIM(45308X FBC) (DVB-S2X)
    Vuplus DVB-T NIM(TT3L10) (MultiType DVB-C/T2)
    Vuplus DVB-T NIM(BCM3466) (DVB-T2)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ev0 For This Useful Post:

ArloG (04-11-20),Clabs (04-11-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    So backoff laddie !
    What do you want from these technologies? What are you trying to do? You can have many different technologies that can achieve the same result (some better than others)
    There are a couple of receivers like the Edision that are really sensitive ( but you can‘t be bothered to test the drivers you were given) .. so what are you are actually after!!

This is not the 1st forum you have been busy posting over several months, so what are you really after?
    Aye now ye throw shapes.
    I have tested the drivers. And since ye must be trollin' me. I tried them out and some were fast and missed a lot of transponders and channels.
    Others slow and thorough. Very slow matter of factly. 45 minutes for a blindscan. Some had issues with 4 MHz spaced transponders. And others gave many duplicates.
    All results were returned to Edision. It shows that they are interested in marketing in other than European regions.
    Perhaps just helping a person out without a culchie attitude would be the trinners way without all of the codding.
    Like Ev0 posted. A data sheet on the chip would show what it should be able to do. Possibly revealing driver support?
    This is the second time I've posted an inquiry in this forum. You haven't offered assistance. Thanks anyway.
    I was looking for a nice dual tuner satellite receiver because the Zgemma was a big let down. Promises in advertising that proved false after purchase.
    That's all.

Title
    Thanks
    A data sheet will tell you nothing because what the data sheet says and what is actually supported in the fta receiver may be two different things.

Why not buy a high priced VU+ and tell us how well the tuner(s) work in North America? Maybe you will be very satisfied with it.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to el bandido For This Useful Post:

ronand (04-11-20),twol (04-11-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by el bandido View Post
    A data sheet will tell you nothing because what the data sheet says and what is actually supported in the fta receiver may be two different things.

Why not buy a high priced VU+ and tell us how well the tuner(s) work in North America? Maybe you will be very satisfied with it.
    Thanks el bandido. You've always been helpful and patient. Without the AVL6261 tuner in the Mio we wouldn't be able to receive or even scan ACM/VCM like the music channels as has been the case with the H7.AC. And we all know the H7 comes in many flavors. My forum friend, as I'm on a few, bought an H7.S and had worse performance than mine. So maybe it was in the tuner that was soldered in it.

The Mio wouldn't do what it can without the AVL6261. Why bother with data sheets? Obviously Edision assisted you in getting TNAP where it is now. Data sheets mean a lot.

https://github.com/availink/document...duct_brief.pdf

Don't you agree? And that's where I'm trying to get with VU+. If they even care to market a product out of their realm.
    "Here's a tuner you can plug in" isn't really a good marketing ploy. And those who are a little more into whats outside the box should be able to have access to the info.
    Heck. The Firebird in your pic may just have a 6 cylinder and the bird decal with a few pop rivets to hold the shaker on. If you sold it, somebody would probably like to pop the hood.
    Yeah. I'm not into buying any more chinese boxes that leave me wondering and wanting. I don't have dual sat tuners in the Mio like the H7 has. But it can do so much more.
    My Mio and H7 are basically parts donors if their tuners smoke. The Mio doesn't have pass thru. So watching tv upstairs just means more cable.
    So. I'm getting nowhere here obviously. Sorry for asking a simple question.
    Forums seem to get balky when you ask a more in depth tekkie question. it's the "no-answer" replies that get me.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Data sheets mean a lot.

https://github.com/availink/document...duct_brief.pdf

Don't you agree?
    That’s not a data sheet! It is a summary sheet of the functionality. The true data sheet would probably be 100+ pages of data.

A data sheet for a bought in IC or module will give details of what the product is capable of doing and give programming and timing information. This doesn't mean that the manufacturer of the box to which this third party component is fitted in wishes to support 100% of the functionality. I guess that few of the box manufacturers actually design their own tuner modules, and maybe even they just use a generic driver supplied by the module manufacturer.

It's much like a data sheet for, say, a 8 bit microcontroller where the user could use the functionality to flash a single LED or alternately to fully control a central heating system, or even something much more complex.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (UK Freesat channels), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview channels)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast