Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Mutant 2400 gone bottom-up?

Title
    Thanks

Mutant 2400 gone bottom-up?

My mutant 2400 seems to have gone bottom-up – it is responding very slowly if at all to the remote which before you ask was charged up this weekend just in case that was the problem and has not recorded any of things I wanted to record.

I tried to reflash it with VIX version 5.0 from version 4 point something and it sat there saying "flashing" for an hour before I turned it off and turned it back on again where it was stuck on broadcasting ITV one for some reason (this is a channel I very rarely look at)

Can anybody suggest what I need to do to it to wake it up or sorted out or is it fit for the bin?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Does it have an external PSU? If so, can you try another one?

Title
    Thanks
    Good morning – by "PSU" – I assume you mean a power supply which has a transformer in it which effectively splits the cable between the power socket and the socket in the back of the box?

If so the answer is no – I believe this machine has a transformer inside the box.

Please note it powers up okay although I bow to your greater knowledge in that if the transformer is somehow shot that might affect its operation?

I'm wondering if it's something to do with the hard drive although if that is what it is I cannot see why that would prevent it flashing a new version unless I'm wrong in that version is kept on the hard drive rather than in some other permanent solid-state storage?

I turned it on again this morning in the hope it might have recovered after having been powered off overnight but at the moment it's just sitting there saying it's flashing and has been for about the last half an hour

Best wishes

Andy

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    If you think it's the hard drive, have you tried usb flashing?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    If you think its the hard drive then disconnect it. It wont do any harm anyway.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Okay – firstly what I was trying to flash it with wasn't 5.0 point X but in fact 5.4.001 dated a couple of days ago in October 2020.

And I was trying to flash it from a USB drive not from the Internet because it doesn't seem to behave doing that.

What is the best way to diagnose this box?

I only suggested it was the hard drive because it was the way it was behaving but I have no real idea what it is

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    If the hard drive is misbehaving it could drag the box performance way down if it is very slow responding to commands from the operating system. If you temporarily disconnect it you can see if the box will flash and boot. Usually, the only things on the hard drive are the stored recordings, the EPG and the settings backups. The box will boot without the hard drive.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Good morning,

Sorry to be so long in replying to you – this seems to be a versions issue not a system issue.

The box seems to be very happy on the version of Vix it lives on but will not update automatically over the wire to version 5.x.

I wonder if there is some sort of hardware limitation as this boxes of course now getting on for 5 years old?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    If you mean software update rather than "automatically", you can't, you need to usb flash or couch flash from 5.3 or earlier ....

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...X-5-4-released

There is no automatic update.

I'm sure the hd2400 will be more than capable of running 5.4.
    Last edited by ccs; 17-12-20 at 11:18.