Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Read Data

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Try doing a manual scan or blind scan and see if you can pick up anything (not an abm scan) - thats a strong signal so I doubt the dish has moved
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KuchKuch View Post
    I tried to remove the cable and replace it with a temporary RG6 cable and it didn't work as I think I may have moved the dish/lnb slightly. I'm not sure what to make of the screenshot below, but you cans see AGC is now very low compared to what it was previously in the thread (2% now compared to 98% before I did my changes). Thoughts?
    AGC = Automatic Gain Control, so low input signal level = high agc value and high input level = low agc value. If the AGC value has changed it is just an indication that the signal level has changed but the actually value displayed is somewhat arbitary with respect to how much the signal has changed. A damaged cable may/will effect different frequencies differently.

Also can confirm that the builder did use a copper wire (still not sure what type),
    Often fairly easy to identify by the colour of the 100% screen beneath the braiding. Copper coloured and its likely to be CT100/WF100 or the many other manufacturers variants with "100" in the name. Silver coloured and its a lesser specified cable but OK for shorter domestic installs. NO 100% screen layer beneath the braiding and its the type not recommended for satellite.

but the "boot" that was used between the F Connector and LNB was made out of plastic. I thought these were always made of rubber for a tight fit? I presume there was a small gap that allowed the water to creep in.
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/boots.htm
    (Note: Satcure no longer trade)

Has the new cable solved any of your previous problems?

Alternative weather proofing
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/self_amalg.htm
    Last edited by adm; 25-10-20 at 14:04.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    Try doing a manual scan or blind scan and see if you can pick up anything (not an abm scan) - thats a strong signal so I doubt the dish has moved
    Bingo...I think.

screenshot_20201025150702.jpg

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    That looks good. Is that with the temporary cable or can you scan them with the old cable?
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    That looks good. Is that with the temporary cable or can you scan them with the old cable?
    Temporary cable...the old cable is doing a scan now and it is picking up channels after i chopped off a meter.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    AGC = Automatic Gain Control, so low input signal level = high agc value and high input level = low agc value. If the AGC value has changed it is just an indication that the signal level has changed but the actually value displayed is somewhat arbitary with respect to how much the signal has changed. A damaged cable may/will effect different frequencies differently.

Often fairly easy to identify by the colour of the 100% screen beneath the braiding. Copper coloured and its likely to be CT100/WF100 or the many other manufacturers variants with "100" in the name. Silver coloured and its a lesser specified cable but OK for shorter domestic installs. NO 100% screen layer beneath the braiding and its the type not recommended for satellite.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/boots.htm
    (Note: Satcure no longer trade)

Has the new cable solved any of your previous problems?

Alternative weather proofing
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/self_amalg.htm
    Thanks for the above information. The stuff from satcure was really helpful.

The cable has now been fixed and everything works (I think). I need to reconfigure everything, but initial tests are promising.

Cable that was used in my property is shown below. I can't see 100 listed anywhere on the outer covering. I presume this is some cheap RG6 cable.

D2632C2B-81B6-4C4F-BE76-B8130EAFE905 - Copy.jpg

My LNB is an Inverto 52780 and i'm wondering if the water got into the cable from the holes on the outer casing of the LNB. I imagine not, but who knows?

41KaVGs7ETL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    It looks like RG6 cable, due to the silver foil. I'm sure Inverto wouldn't design a casing where the water would flow into the F connector But maybe the plug cover was not installed correctly in the first instance and that is how the water got in? I agree the design is odd as usually the electronics are sealed inside and there is a shroud or cover which pulls down over the F connector to protect it from rain. It's good that you sorted it yourself when the so-called satellite installer wasn't able to. New line of business for you! I've never used a unicable LNB, so I presume it only works with an appropriate tuner and it wouldn't work with a standard box?
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Yes definatley RG6 cable with hollow dielectric so whatever you do make sure cable connections are made water tight whether with f connector boot or self amalgamating tape also remember if you had to extend cable because you cut 1 meter off do joint where you joined it.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    It looks like RG6 cable, due to the silver foil. I'm sure Inverto wouldn't design a casing where the water would flow into the F connector But maybe the plug cover was not installed correctly in the first instance and that is how the water got in? I agree the design is odd as usually the electronics are sealed inside and there is a shroud or cover which pulls down over the F connector to protect it from rain.
    The waterproofing does seem to be a bit odd
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....Uwx3L._AC_.jpg

Even with the supplied F plug cover that presumably clicks into the plastic housing I would be tempted to apply a lot of grease to the F plug cover before pusing it into place.

Perhaps Inverto assume a better quality F plug will be fitted? Something like a waterproof compression type (which requires fairly expensive tools) but even with these some grease is suggested or a wrap of self almalgamating tape is recomended to prevent corrosion and prevent water ingress to the mating half.

http://www.wrightsaerials.co.uk/rogu...183.shtml#img1

With self almalgamating tape you have to stretch it to around 200%+its length as you install it (after removing the backing layer). It then bonds to itself, as long as the tape is grease free. If not used before try wrapping it around a pencil or ball point pen, leaving it for around half an hour and then try and get it off without using a sharp blade. Rolls of self almalgamating tape is available in the UK from Screwfix or Toolstation (3 metres @ £2.50), also available on Ebay or from electronic suppliers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-vtvUC4RoQ
    Last edited by adm; 25-10-20 at 19:46.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    I've never used a unicable LNB, so I presume it only works with an appropriate tuner and it wouldn't work with a standard box?
    Don't quote me on this, but I believe a Unicable LNB will work with a standard box, but it will only work as a standard LNB - Don't expect multiple tuners to start showing up on your box.

Quote Originally Posted by urie View Post
    Yes definatley RG6 cable with hollow dielectric so whatever you do make sure cable connections are made water tight whether with f connector boot or self amalgamating tape also remember if you had to extend cable because you cut 1 meter off do joint where you joined it.
    I intend to put the tape on tomorrow - I couldn't figure out how it works while I was on the roof today.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Even with the supplied F plug cover that presumably clicks into the plastic housing I would be tempted to apply a lot of grease to the F plug cover before pusing it into place.
    I will try and do this tomorrow - Thanks for your suggestion.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Just wrap the tape around a few times. It stretches to about twice it's length. There's no adhesive - it bonds to itself.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KuchKuch View Post
    I will try and do this tomorrow - Thanks for your suggestion.
    See my previous reply about tape but if taping the connection (recommended) just bear in mind the tape and the surface it is protecting needs to be grease free so if applying any grease just make sure it is only on internal surfaces (perhaps a smear inside the F plug) or throughly cleaned off before applying the tape. The removable backing layer on the tape is often the same colour as the tape and can be a PITA to find the corner in order to peal it off. Experiment with a piece of tape in the warmth of your armchair before climbing on your roof.
    Last edited by adm; 25-10-20 at 19:54.

Title
    Thanks
    I also meant to mention the F connectore I bought from screwfix have small rubber O rings in side which I take it is to seal around the dielectric, I don't know if all F connectors are made like this now. But that does not dont use tape or rubber F connector boot

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by urie View Post
    I also meant to mention the F connectore I bought from screwfix have small rubber O rings in side which I take it is to seal around the dielectric, I don't know if all F connectors are made like this now. But that does not dont use tape or rubber F connector boot
    No, most F connectors come without rubber O rings. The ones you have are probably designed to prevent some water ingress but I would still use tape over the whole connection and perhaps an inch down the cable.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

urie (25-10-20)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast