Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannot Read Data

Title
    Thanks

Cannot Read Data

Got the error "Cannot Read Data" as I tried to do a scan via ABM. I've attached the log. Would appreciate any advice into what the issue maybe.

Thanks.

abm.log

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    Looks like ABM can't tune the SKY transponder. How many channels do you get if you do a manual scan of 28.2? It would appear to be a dish/LNB issue.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    Looks like ABM can't tune the SKY transponder. How many channels do you get if you do a manual scan of 28.2? It would appear to be a dish/LNB issue.
    OK - I can't get any channels when doing a Network Scan. What puzzles me as I still seem to get decent signal on Signal Finder:
    screenshot_20201019135322.jpg

Would this be the case if there was a dish/lnb issue?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Checking only one frequency is pointless. You also need to check the frequency ABM uses 11778 Vertical for Sky. As you cannot a scan using Enigma2, that points to a problem.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Checking only one frequency is pointless. You also need to check the frequency ABM uses 11778 Vertical for Sky. As you cannot a scan using Enigma2, that points to a problem.
    Can see what you are saying, but interestingly I do have signal on 11778 as shown below.
    screenshot_20201019162227.jpg

Either way I think its time i call my local Satellite person unless you think something else could be the issue outside of the dish/lnb?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Change your skin to simple1080 or vix night hd, you should get more options showing. See if you get a lock on tsid etc and whether the service list shows up.

It isn't a software issue, so you will have to check for loose/damaged cabling or connectors, alignment etc. I know you said you tried this before, but if you perform a manual, complete scan of 28.2, (do not enable network scan), you should get 890+ services

Title
    Thanks
    I can't get any channels to come up even when I click on Manual Scan.

Satellite person will be here within the hour. Hopefully it'll be sorted soon

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KuchKuch For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (19-10-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Had the Satellite person come around. They believe the whole cabling needs to be replaced as the LNB, Dish and Box all appear fine - so it was a process of elimination. Problem is I've got the whole house refurbished 10 months ago and can't believe this sort of cable will fail in a short time. To get this replaced will be costly i imagine and i can't imagine my builder wanting to do it even though I have a 10 year guarantee on everything.

Title
    Thanks
    Do you have sat connections in rooms via wall plates, if so i would try box in others rooms could be just loose connection on back of wall plate.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KuchKuch View Post
    Had the Satellite person come around. They believe the whole cabling needs to be replaced as the LNB, Dish and Box all appear fine - so it was a process of elimination. Problem is I've got the whole house refurbished 10 months ago and can't believe this sort of cable will fail in a short time. To get this replaced will be costly i imagine and i can't imagine my builder wanting to do it even though I have a 10 year guarantee on everything.
    What cable was used? If it was replaced by a general builder and then embedded in a newly plastered wall it may have been the wrong type of cable for digital TV (satellite or via an aerial) and or the wrong specification for satellite.
    However if the system was working a week ago it is very unlikely for the cable to have deterioriated that much in a short period unless physically damaged or if it is full of water (the latter may be quite obvious).

Old article but still valid about the difference between a good and bad cable.
    http://www.wrightsaerials.co.uk/arti...-quality.shtml

Have you something like a whole house distribution box in the loft that perhaps combines signals from a TV aerial, dish or radio (DAM/FM) aerial ? If so the power to that box may have failed.

Also check any cabling for visible short circuits at the F connectors - one strand of the screen wire touching the centre pin.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by urie View Post
    Do you have sat connections in rooms via wall plates, if so i would try box in others rooms could be just loose connection on back of wall plate.
    The cable was directly going from the LNB to the satellite box. As a result, wall plates weren't used.

Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    What cable was used? If it was replaced by a general builder and then embedded in a newly plastered wall it may have been the wrong type of cable for digital TV (satellite or via an aerial) and or the wrong specification for satellite.
    However if the system was working a week ago it is very unlikely for the cable to have deterioriated that much in a short period unless physically damaged or if it is full of water (the latter may be quite obvious).

Old article but still valid about the difference between a good and bad cable.
    http://www.wrightsaerials.co.uk/arti...-quality.shtml

Have you something like a whole house distribution box in the loft that perhaps combines signals from a TV aerial, dish or radio (DAM/FM) aerial ? If so the power to that box may have failed.

Also check any cabling for visible short circuits at the F connectors - one strand of the screen wire touching the centre pin.
    I'm not sure exactly what cable was used. I don't believe it is the ideal cable for satellite TV (It's not Webro WF100), however it was all working fine till Sunday morning.

I don't have a whole house distribution box.

Whatever cable was used is going underneath various rooms and coming up to the connect to the satellite box through the wall. Obviously its not going to be possible to replace this cable without digging everything up and thats not something I'm willing to do. Is there some other solution that would avoid having the satellite cable coming in from an outer wall and ruin the whole look of a room thats under 10 months old?
    Last edited by KuchKuch; 20-10-20 at 22:44.

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Did you see what they did?
    Did they really test each bit?
    Or did they just guess?

Could you yourself get another LNB with a shorter cable and try it on the dish temporarily to see if the dish really is okay and still pointing correctly at the satellites?
    Last edited by BrokenUnusableAccount; 21-10-20 at 00:35.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The cable was directly going from the LNB to the satellite box. As a result, wall plates weren't used.

I'm not sure exactly what cable was used. I don't believe it is the ideal cable for satellite TV (It's not Webro WF100), however it was all working fine till Sunday morning.

I don't have a whole house distribution box.

Whatever cable was used is going underneath various rooms and coming up to the connect to the satellite box through the wall. Obviously its not going to be possible to replace this cable without digging everything up and thats not something I'm willing to do. Is there some other solution that would avoid having the satellite cable coming in from an outer wall and ruin the whole look of a room thats under 10 months old?
    As I said before a cable working a few days ago is unlikely to just degrade so fast unless physically damaged.
    How did you satellite person test the dish/LNB and how did he test your box without a signal from your supposedly faulty cable?

How many cables from the LNB to you have to your box?

Is your cable just run under floorboards (or chipboard sheet) or have they buried the cable in a concrete floor?

Was the cable replaced by the builder and did the builder fit the F connectors to the end of the cable or was it an existing cable fitted by a satellite installer?

Are you sure that the F connectors are screwed on tightly to your box?
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (21-10-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    As I said before a cable working a few days ago is unlikely to just degrade so fast unless physically damaged.
    How did you satellite person test the dish/LNB and how did he test your box without a signal from your supposedly faulty cable?

How many cables from the LNB to you have to your box?

Is your cable just run under floorboards (or chipboard sheet) or have they buried the cable in a concrete floor?

Was the cable replaced by the builder and did the builder fit the F connectors to the end of the cable or was it an existing cable fitted by a satellite installer?

Are you sure that the F connectors are screwed on tightly to your box?
    I'll try to answer the best I can.

He didn't test my satellite box in anyway. He did have some sort of satellite signal checker on him, which he took up to the dish. You could see that when this was connected to the LNB it was was showing 100% signal on every frequency. However when this same signal checker was checking the signal through the cable that feeds into my satellite box it was showing weak/no signal on multiple frequencies.

I have one cable from connected in my LNB, which comes through to my lounge. Here a splitter is used to split the signal in two as I have a unicable setup. The satellite person checked the signal from the one cable before the splitter is used.

I believe the cable may be under the floorboards. I previously thought it may be under the concrete floor, but having checked this morning this doesn't appear to be the case and wouldn't make sense as I have underfloor heating.

Cable was replaced by the builder and he did have F connectors put in the end of each cable, but when I had the new LNB installed the F connectors were replaced and a bit of cable of was cut off by the satellite person at either end.

I'm positive the F connectors are screwed in properly and this was also checked by the satellite person.

Thanks for your assistance.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    When did you have the new LNB installed? You mentioned that the whole system was refurbished some months ago. What happened on Sunday last? When you say you have a unicable setup, has this setup been working ok before and after the splitter was installed. Is it a new receiver or have you had it some time. A timeline of events would help. It's unlikely that the cable would deteriorate from a working condition to a non-working state unless physically damaged or something changed in the chain of connectivity (LNB, F-plugs, splitter, receiver).
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast