Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: Finished Timers but recorded files are missing

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Attachments

Thread: Finished Timers but recorded files are missing

Title
    Thanks

Question Finished Timers but recorded files are missing

I opened the EPG on my box and pressed the record button to record EastEnders 2008. I then edited the timer to increase the end time by an hour or so. The timer shows as finished under the timers menu but the file isn't in /media/hdd/movie. All my timers say they are recording to that location. Any idea why it says it's recording and then after it's finished it says the timer is finished yet there's no video in the folder? Webif never gave me a conflicting timers warning when I added the timer.

It's very strange. Some programmes record fine and give me a file and some don't. I'm recording Sky News, BBC News and LBC Radio just now. I can see the files in the /media/hdd/movie folder apart from LBC Radio. So I enabled logs and restarted the box and opened Timers and the LBC timer isn't there, it doesn't say finished or anything, it's just missing.

Log is attached. I can't even see LBC mentioned in the log. I can see EastEnders 2008 however.

Somebody mentioned this before:

Perhaps the number of channel that you can record is simply down to the channels you are selecting? You are using a traditional universal LNB and each output from that LNB can only be set in one of 4 states (Hi-V, Lo-V, Hi-H and Lo-H) so down one cable cable you will only be able to record transponders on, say, Hi-V and any on the other 3 states will be unavailable on that cable/ tuner or anything sourced from that one cable/tuner.
    Any chance that could be the issue? Surely it's wouldn't not record though, surely it would not allow me to record something in the first place if the tuner wasn't able to record it?

Enigma2_debug_2020-10-19_04-30-32.log
    Last edited by SkyFan; 19-10-20 at 04:43.

Title
    Thanks
    Do you think my tuner configuration is wrong and that's what's causing the issue? Screenshot of that here: https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...l=1#post503976

I tested the box when I first got it by recording 5 channels on 5 different transponders and I can still record a few radio stations as well. They were all recording at the same time. So why now in future recordings when only 3 things are currently recording which is way under the 6 limit that 1 of the channels isn't actually recording to a file, I don't know.
    Last edited by SkyFan; 19-10-20 at 05:28.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyFan View Post
    I opened the EPG on my box and pressed the record button to record EastEnders 2008. I then edited the timer to increase the end time by an hour or so. The timer shows as finished under the timers menu but the file isn't in /media/hdd/movie. All my timers say they are recording to that location. Any idea why it says it's recording and then after it's finished it says the timer is finished yet there's no video in the folder? Webif never gave me a conflicting timers warning when I added the timer.
    Each of your finished (or current repeating timers) will have their own logs so you can perhaps see what really happened
    I don't have my box in front of me so I'm only going from memory... go to your timer, highlight it and press menu(???) or maybe info(???) and you should get a log screen with options to view/delete etc.

I suspect that you are expecting the capability of a unicable II LNB/ FBC setup from the universal LNB/FBC setup that you have.

When you say that your setup can record from 6 different transponders were they actually all different transponders or were some of the recordings from the same transponders.

Plaese give an example of 6 simultaneous recordings that you can actually achieve now (channel names).
    Or if now limited to fewer simultaneous recordings list the channel names.
    Last edited by adm; 19-10-20 at 07:34.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    ....... deleted
    Last edited by ccs; 19-10-20 at 10:44.

Title
    Thanks
    The box was definitely turned on because I set the timer for EastEnders 2008 about 5 minutes before the programme started in WebIf so there's no way I would have turned off the box as I wanted the show recorded.

I turned the box off at 4.30am so I could get the debug log as I thought the log is only generated at boot time?

Code:
    <    24.4916> [Timer] Record RecordTimerEntry(name=EastEnders 2008, begin=Sun Oct 18 23:45:00 2020, serviceref=1:0:19:22E3:80D:2:11A0000:0:0:0:, justplay=0, isAutoTimer=False, autoTimerId=None)
    <    24.4925> [TimerSanityCheck] Exception - timer does not have to be checked!
    What does all of that mean?

Does the debug log tell you anything about why EastEnders 2008 wasn't recorded? Why does it say TimerSanityCheck exception? I don't remember setting the timer to ignore conflicting recordings such as when all the tuners are recording stuff and you add a new timer and it won't let you add the timer as there's no free tuner. There was hardly anything recording at the time it was due to be recorded so all the tuners weren't fully occupied.

There's no info button on my remote but I pressed the EPG button when on the EastEnders 2008 completed timer. Does that do the same thing? Here's a screenshot:

Record Completed but file was missing - EastEnders 2008.jpg

Does it tell you anything useful about why no file was actually recorded? I don't understand why Webif let me add a timer for something if there was no tuner free to be able to record it? Is there anything I can do on my end to debug the issue if it happens again in the future besides providing the debug file?

Tuner Config

I have 2 physical tuner card slots. Tuner A and Tuner B. I have a twin tuner in both slots. Tuner A has 2 cables connected to it. Tuner B has 1 cable connected to the top port. My Sat dish is using a normal LNB. Here's my tuner config:

A, Simple, single, 28.2
    B, Simple, single, 28.2
    C-H, leave as FBC Automatic
    I, Simple, single, 28.2
    J, loop-through to I. if not available, leave as disabled.
    K-P, Leave as FBC Automatic.
    The tuners are configured correctly.

I should be able to record a maximum of 6 channels if they are each on a different transponder.

I suspect that you are expecting the capability of a unicable II LNB/ FBC setup from the universal LNB/FBC setup that you have.

When you say that your setup can record from 6 different transponders were they actually all different transponders or were some of the recordings from the same transponders.

Please give an example of 6 simultaneous recordings that you can actually achieve now (channel names).
    Or if now limited to fewer simultaneous recordings list the channel names
    Can record 6 TV channels at once:
    • ITV London HD
    • Channel 4 HD
    • Channel 5 HD
    • BBC News HD
    • CNN HD
    • RT HD

Can also record these at the same time:

• Sky News (different transponder to the above list so not sure why I can record this as well)
    • BBC Four HD (same transponder as BBC News HD)
    • BBC One HD (different transponder to the above list so not sure why I can record this as well)
    • BBC Two HD (different transponder to the above list so not sure why I can record this as well)
    • Drama (different transponder to the above list so not sure why I can record this as well)
    • Comedy Central HD (different transponder to the above list so not sure why I can record this as well)

In addition to all of the above channel lists that I can record at the same time as each other I can also record these radio stations at the same time. I'm also unsure why I can record these since aren’t these on a different transponder?):

• LBC
    • BBC R1
    • BBC R1X
    • BBC R2

To find out which channels are on the same transponder I did this: When watching a channel I press the down arrow then Green for Satellites then "Current Transponder" to see a list of all other channels on that transponder of the channel I'm currently watching. I did that with all the channels I wanted to record. Are you sure that method is accurate because I'm still able to record channels reported via that method as being on a different transponder?

Below are tables showing a list of all channels on the same transponder (that I found out using that method). Highlighted are the only channels that I'm interested in.

TV Channels on Same Transponder.png

Radio Stations

Radio Channels on Same Transponder.png
    Last edited by SkyFan; 19-10-20 at 15:56.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Does it tell you anything useful about why no file was actually recorded?
    It confirms that Eastenders 2008 was recorded ok, using tuner A, the recording was 2hr 45mins long (I assume you changed it) and was stored in /media/hdd/movie/........

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Can record 6 TV channels at once:
    • ITV London HD
    • Channel 4 HD
    • Channel 5 HD
    • BBC News HD
    • CNN HD
    • RT HD

Can also record these at the same time:

• Sky News (different transponder to the above list so not sure why I can record this as well)
    • BBC Four HD (same transponder as BBC News HD)
    • BBC One HD (different transponder to the above list so not sure why I can record this as well)
    • BBC Two HD (different transponder to the above list so not sure why I can record this as well)
    • Drama (different transponder to the above list so not sure why I can record this as well)
    • Comedy Central HD (different transponder to the above list so not sure why I can record this as well)

In addition to all of the above channel lists that I can record at the same time as each other I can also record these radio stations at the same time. I'm also unsure why I can record these since aren’t these on a different transponder?):

• LBC
    • BBC R1
    • BBC R1X
    • BBC R2

What is your logic about being only able to tune into 6 transponders?
    How many tuners are required to tune in to 12 different transponders?
    How many active tuners do you have?
    [/QUOTE]
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    I don't know what you mean by what is my logic? You asked me to give you examples of 6 channels on different transponders so I did.

12 tuners would obviously be required to tune into 12 different transponders. I don't know what your point is?

I have 2 twin FBC tuners with 3 sat cables connected to them so I have 3 tuners. They use a standard LNB.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    I have 2 twin FBC tuners with 3 sat cables connected to them so I have 3 tuners.
    You have 16 tuners. (4 have physical connections, 12 do not.)

Title
    Thanks
    Confusing. Wasn't sure which tuners I was being asked about.

Thought I have 15 tuners since 1 physical tuner is decativated since it doesn't have a sat cable going into it?:
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/a...0&d=1603080564

If I have 15 tuners then why can't I record 15 channels, each on a different transponder? I can only record 6 channels, each on a different transponder. If I try to record a 7th channel then most channels won't let me record them, only certain channels such as BBC 1 HD, BBC Two HD, BBC Four HD, etc will allow me to record them.

Title
    Thanks

Finished Timers but recorded files are missi

How many you have is one fact.

How many have signal supply is another fact.

What each one is configured as is another fact.

How many have independent access to a transponder is another fact.

Don't mix up your facts.

Only 3 of your tuners have independent signal supply, all the rest will be in loop-through mode.

Title
    Thanks
    I don't get it. Why would the tuners be listed as a tuner if they can't get a signal supply?

Why would some tuners have access to different transponders when I thought the dish is pointing to 28.2E so all the tuners would be able to access the same transponders? This is way more complicated than I thought. I thought the FBC tuners just act like normal tuners that allow you to record any station but FBC gives you more tuners?

Is there a way to know how many tuners will be able to record any channel other than testing it? I seem to be able to record any 6 channels which are each on a different transponder. Beyond that is it just luck to what channels can be recorded?

Title
    Thanks

Finished Timers but recorded files are missi

The list of tuners shows all the tuners because that is what is in the box. If your house has 4 bedrooms and one of the kids move out, you wouldn't say your house now has three bedrooms would you? Number of rooms hasn't changed, number of occupants has.

You must configure the tuners to match what is attached to it. This is a basic and fundamental rule. The software will only use what is configured.

You have universal LNBs. They switch between horizontal, vertical, high and low "planes/bands". This is the limitation in your setup as well as the big/small dish.

You have 3 tuners with signal wire, the others are looping to those three, probably why you are counting six channels.

If you use the service/channels list instead of bouquets, the ones you can't access will be greyed out. You should be able to get to at least 20 services.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    You have universal LNBs. They switch between horizontal, vertical, high and low "planes/bands". This is the limitation in your setup as well as the big/small dish.

You have 3 tuners with signal wire, the others are looping to those three, probably why you are counting six channels.

If you use the service/channels list instead of bouquets, the ones you can't access will be greyed out. You should be able to get to at least 20 services.
    They show greyed out on my bouquet as well.

I understand now - makes sense what you said about bands. So once I get an Unicable LNB does that mean that every tuner will be able to record any channel or will some tuners still only be able to record specific channels?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I don't get it. Why would the tuners be listed as a tuner if they can't get a signal supply?

Why would some tuners have access to different transponders when I thought the dish is pointing to 28.2E so all the tuners would be able to access the same transponders? This is way more complicated than I thought. I thought the FBC tuners just act like normal tuners that allow you to record any station but FBC gives you more tuners?

Is there a way to know how many tuners will be able to record any channel other than testing it? I seem to be able to record any 6 channels which are each on a different transponder. Beyond that is it just luck to what channels can be recorded?
    You are using a universal quad LNB but only using 3 of its outputs into your receiver.
    Consider each of the outputs on a quad LNB as four separate independent entities (4 x one output LNBs)
    To switch between the 4 modes of operation the tuner connected to the output of the LNB sends up the cable 3 possible control signals.
    1) 12.5V to 14.5V dc
    2) 15.5 to 18V dc
    3) a 22kHz tone of around 0.5V peak to peak

This selects one of the 4 modes
    12.5V to 14.5V with no tone = vertical polarisation low band
    12.5V to 14.5V with tone = vertical polarisation high band
    15.5V to 18V with no tone = horizontal polarisation low band
    15.5V to 18V with tone = horizontal polarisation high band

You cannot split the output of a single universal LNB between to tuners that control the mode of operation as, say, you cannot send a tone and no tone down the same cable at the same time nor can you send 12.5V and 18V dc at the same time. You can however feed the output of the LNB to two or more tuners as long as only one of these tuners is controlling the mode of operation with the different voltages and/or 22Khz tone.

Each of these modes of operation carries a number of transponders. Some modes carry more transponder (and TV channels) than others

Now, say, tuner A has configured the LNB for vertical polarisation low band it can only tune into the transponders carried on this mode of operation – and more importantly any tuner internally connected in your box (and disabled from controlling the LNB mode of operation) can only tune into the transponders carried on this one mode of operation.

Now consider tuner B which is connected to another independent LNB. Tuner B can select a the same or a different mode of LNB operation.
    If it selects vertical polarisation high band it can tune into any transponder carried on that mode as can any tuner internally connect to tuner B (and disabled from controlling the LNB mode of operation). If however tuner B configures its LNB the same way as tuner A then both tuners A and B and, any tuners connected internally to them, will be limited to the transponders carried on vertical polarisation low band.

Again you have a third tuner physically connected to another independent LNB and again this can either configure that LNB for a different mode to tuners A or B or maybe the same mode of operation.

The number of transponders that you can tune into (and the number of different TV channels) is dependant on how the tuners connected to the LNBs have set up the LNB mode of operation. Only 3 of your 16 tuners (4 if you can connect a 4th down-lead) are controlling the LNB modes of operation. If they have all set different modes of operation than you have a wide choice of channels to record. If they all set the same modes of operation then you have a limited number of channels that you can select.

I’m not sure that there is any way of forcing a tuner to select a certain mode of operation so the number of channel to record may depend on how the timers are set which in turn may determine how the tuners select a lnb mode and which is likely to be somewhat random.

The transponders/channels on each mode of operation can be found in the tables at
    https://en.satexpat.com/tv/uk/sky/

In the column headed “TP, Polarisation” the H and V refer to horizontal or vertical polarisation.
    In the column headed “IF Band” the L and H at the end if the number refer to low and high bands

A unicable II LNB overcomes most, if not all, of these elimitations.
    Last edited by adm; 19-10-20 at 22:53.