Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: BT Youview replacement

Title
    Thanks

BT Youview replacement

Hello all,

New to the forum as a poster and am looking to replace my BT Youview box and as much of its functionality as possible plus more with a device capable of recording 2 or more programs at a time, being able to pause, rewind and fast forward live transmissions and ideally have an app to remotely setup recordings we forgot when away.
    I have been looking at the GigaBlue UHD UE 4k or GigaBlue UHD Quad 4k which appears to have the abilities required but not 100% sure plus also has Sat > IP which sounds interesting as we could then watch stuff on other devices around the house. We have cat6 wired to all rooms and also have 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless available too. We also have a triax TMS32 in the attic sending both Terrestrial and Satellite signals to all rooms.
    Two rooms have 4k Sony TV 55-KDx8509C and 43-KDx8309C respectively and a couple of older HD TVs in other rooms (not smart!)
    Any suggestions, ideas, experience much appreciated. We want to be able to cancel BT Youview before the end of the month so need to replace before that time!

Kindest regards and greetings

Dave
    Last edited by Widower2008; 15-10-20 at 17:59. Reason: Additional information

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    All Enigma2 receivers will do what you want.

Remote access:
    They are not built for security in mind. So set up SSH keys and you will be fine. See thread in guide section by Pembo

Recording:
    Put simply, a tuner gives you access to a frequency. If there are 5 services/channels on a frequency, you can record all of those using one tuner. Hopefully you appreciate already that BBC One on satellite is not the same as BBC One on Terrestrial. You haven't said how many satellite cables you have to the location you will be placing receiver, two sat and two terrestrial should be OK.

Time shifting:
    This is heavily dependent on drivers. Some are good, others are not so good when it comes to jumping around. I have not tested it much on the GigaBlue, if anything specific you want tested I could try it for you.

You can set up network sharing and access recording on receiver from other devices, including phone/tablet/Kodi.

SatIP isn't discussed much on this forum, so can't comment. However, you can share tuners between devices.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Widower2008 (16-10-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    I wasn‘t too impressed with Satip when I tried it, but for your other rooms you can buy cheaper enigma2 boxes (without tuners ) and use them in client server mode to the main receiver - so you have all the local facilities but the feed is coming from the main receiver......... but with all the Cat6/WiFi/sat connections you have in each room, you are spoilt for choice.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Time shifting:
    This is heavily dependent on drivers. Some are good, others are not so good when it comes to jumping around. I have not tested it much on the GigaBlue, if anything specific you want tested I could try it for you.
    For time shifting, basically we want to be able to pause/restart a programme, rewind something as we missed it live, that kind of thing really and for it to start playing again clean and smooth. Basically similar to what we can do with the BT youview box if possible.