Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: new GBQUAD4K no longer responding to its remote control handset

Title
    Thanks

new GBQUAD4K no longer responding to its remote control handset

Sorry my first post is this dire. Faults, issues and bugs - on the bright side... the packing box looks nice.

As my introduction to general satellite receivers:
    * prev - HUMAX PVRs FreeSAT - self-install 10yrs+
    * plan - upgrade(?) more channels/content - more simultaneous recordings
    * now - failed two day old new GBQUAD4K installation

R/C functionality used to work...
    * handset LED is still flashing green
    * box front panel not longer flickers in conjunction
    * handset OEM batteries checked on meter - good
    ...but no longer 'responsive' - handset tx? - box rx?

Bought recommended dongle in the tools thread from your shop. Whilst R/C was actually working could not get dongle working. Remember seeing -200dBm which seemed excessively low. After the R/C functionality 'died' I increased my router WiFi output from a secure 25% to 100% - manually whitelisted the box's MAC. Always found WiFi in general to be awful ...my own opinion.

With no R/C functionality the box's front switches
    are ...very much lacking in overall functionality(!).
    * BUG: unable to invoke onscreen virtual keyboard
    * BUG: unable to input (encryption) network code
    * BUG: unable to actually SAVE any of above 'edits'

Downloaded APP: 'GB Player 1.5 build 27 - iPhone' tryin to use R/C. There is no 'UHD QUAD 4K' device optioned and, of course, it can't find 'anything'. Could be WiFi, APP or just my current luck with the QBQUAD4K box.

Otherwise installed a 1Gbps CAT5 connection to my intranet switch. My LINUX server hooks to/from the internet over optical broadband. The OS has been reporting that it is 'up-to-date' re: download.

I use Public/Private Key (PuTTY) sessions between my LINUX server & W10 workstation. Propose to try(!?) to get a similar hookup running (on the same intranet). Foresee missing usern/passw difficulty... are there any known defaults? I don't recollect being asked to input a usern/passw during the install. The paper manual in the box is in the German language. The forum sticky PDF is ...not a lot better ...to be frank or even Franck.

This is a right old mess already. My own mistakes notwithstanding nor my admitted lack of knowledge of general satellite receivers. Beginning to rue the decision to throw away over a decade of faultless HUMAX FREESAT viewing and recordings to take up with Unicable II (not installed yet), bigger dish (the shippers delivered mismatched parts in an open & broken box without any protective packing whatsoever) and a satellite meter ('used' unit was delivered instead of it being brand new - its last used memory location was somewhere in the English Channel?). Not overly surprised that the GBQUAD4K is also proving problematic.

I also installed a new 9mm high 2TB Barracuda 2.5in HDD which seems quiet enough in use. The OS was apparently able to fully recognise the extent of the HDD. The mounting assembly's metal legs are unnecessarily tall. Seemingly this is an aspect of design to deter users from installing a much bigger, more useful and appropriate HDD. There is a small gap between the top of the HDD and the underside of top of the box which includes perforations (passive cooling).

Is this support forum able to assist me in any way? Without an operational R/C and with a wholly inadequate set of front panel controls I am metaphorically up the creek and most certainly without the requisite non-optional paddle. Stuffed (to be technical).

Raised a Support ticket with your shop, received their acknowledgement email but nothing else yet.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Try Openwebif - connect to the box via a web browser, using its ipaddress/name as the URL.

I don't think I've used front panel controls ever, apart from maybe one (plus the power button).
    Last edited by ccs; 10-10-20 at 21:23.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

piran (10-10-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    On the remote under the power button (top row) there are 4 buttons of which far left is red giga - press and then it should work again
    . Giga app try settings -, then hit + sign and. Automatic - wait until it finds your box login (currently) is root no password
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

piran (10-10-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    Try Openwebif - connect to the box via a web browser, using its ipaddress/name as the URL.

I don't think I've used front panel controls ever, apart from maybe one (plus the power button).
    Got it. My workstation's W10 browser Vivaldi took over straight away. Magic. Eye-opener... though had to wait for my wife's painting lesson to finish broadcasting. My thanks for your help.

PostEdit: typo
    Last edited by piran; 10-10-20 at 22:42.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    On the remote under the power button (top row) there are 4 buttons of which far left is red giga - press and then it should work again
    . Giga app try settings -, then hit + sign and. Automatic - wait until it finds your box login (currently) is root no password
    [ red GIGA button ]
    The 'red GIGA' button resolution also worked. I'll not forget that button, didn't even know it was on the remote, let alone quite how easily it rather pointlessly disables all functionality. Use of it should put a tag onscreen or something. I presume that GigaBlue don't make kit appropriate for the remaining three buttons and that there is some sort of re-programming available somewhere to reduce the existing plethora of remotes littering our armchairs?

My thanks too as I would've put myself into that trap at some point.

[ APP - GIGA+]
    Not sure about that. I think I tried a lot of combinations. That 'UHD QUAD 4K' is not optioned seems significant in the APP's continued inability to 'find' my box. I grant I have to get WiFi 'working' as surely it uses that to get back into the box. There's so much gratuitous wifi floating about here that I really try to avoid it if it is feasible. For instance even my filter fan in the bedroom apparently needs worldwide internet WiFi access just to switch on/off. Madness.

Thank you for the suggested login defaults.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I've had the same problem. Hold down TV and 0 to reset R/C. R/C will flash once, then a pause and 3 more flashes. After that all should be OK.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CRMS View Post
    I've had the same problem. Hold down TV and 0 to reset R/C. R/C will flash once, then a pause and 3 more flashes. After that all should be OK.
    Noted, with thanks. Think I'm running 'OK' now.

Style-over-substance choosing to write GIGA in dark red on a tiny black button that virtually disables the entire system with no warning markers... just saying from the POV of one of the ancients with fading eye-sight.

Fiddling about with the network settings, locked up the box, got logging command line and an imposed reboot. It's happened several times.

I also managed to seize everything up SOLIDLY - apparently just going through some of its menus. That's unreasonable, traversing menus should be buffered. I'm not using a sledgehammer or chainsaw. Nothing budged until I (had to) hit the power (again).

FWIW all my stuff is on multiple UPSs. This box and its OS is a little worrying, it's more unstable than anything that I have recently used. I'm from back in the days of early DOS, dial-up modems with data throughput 'measured' in bauds not Xbps ...well before the arrival of the internet. Sorry but us oldies expect more stability and reliability with our shiny new toys:-)

The system has already asked me to file several logs somewhere but I didn't catch quite where before it ran the enforced reboot. I'd like to help get this stuff developed to be more robust ...with more built-in resilience. My regular LINUX server runs (headlessly) for weeks, hell, months and more without attention other than remotely implementing the occasional upstream patch. The previous hardware I built wasn't opened for years (plural) running 24/7 autonomously.

Sincerely hope the developers are still beavering away on the code. I may have bugs for them.

Last edited by piran; 11-10-20 at 01:02.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by piran View Post

The system has already asked me to file several logs somewhere but I didn't catch quite where before it ran the enforced reboot.
    The box produces crash and debug logs that can be posted to these forums.

To enable debug logs.
    Menu -> settings -> system -> logs -> settings -> enable debug logs

you can also see your crash and debig logs at
    Menu -> settings -> system -> logs -> settings -> log manager (pressing red toggles between the two type of logs)

In case you haven't found it yet
    Menu -> setup -> system -> customise -> setup mode = expert (this gives more menu options)
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

piran (11-10-20)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by piran View Post
    Noted, with thanks. Think I'm running 'OK' now.

Style-over-substance choosing to write GIGA in dark red on a tiny black button that virtually disables the entire system with no warning markers... just saying from the POV of one of the ancients with fading eye-sight.

Fiddling about with the network settings, locked up the box, got logging command line and an imposed reboot. It's happened several times.

I also managed to seize everything up SOLIDLY - apparently just going through some of its menus. That's unreasonable, traversing menus should be buffered. I'm not using a sledgehammer or chainsaw. Nothing budged until I (had to) hit the power (again).

FWIW all my stuff is on multiple UPSs. This box and its OS is a little worrying, it's more unstable than anything that I have recently used. I'm from back in the days of early DOS, dial-up modems with data throughput 'measured' in bauds not Xbps ...well before the arrival of the internet. Sorry but us oldies expect more stability and reliability with our shiny new toys:-)

The system has already asked me to file several logs somewhere but I didn't catch quite where before it ran the enforced reboot. I'd like to help get this stuff developed to be more robust ...with more built-in resilience. My regular LINUX server runs (headlessly) for weeks, hell, months and more without attention other than remotely implementing the occasional upstream patch. The previous hardware I built wasn't opened for years (plural) running 24/7 autonomously.

Sincerely hope the developers are still beavering away on the code. I may have bugs for them.

I don't know what you're doing, but crash logs are needed.

These boxes really are 100% reliable, I couldn't crash mine if I tried, with one possible exception when setting up a NAS password, a problem fixed in the next release.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

piran (11-10-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts

These boxes really are 100% reliable, I couldn't crash mine if I tried, with one possible exception when setting up a NAS password, a problem fixed in the next release.
    Agree completely, but unfortunately my in laws have taught me that if the receiver can be placed in a state that it appears to be not operational then some people are quite capable of doing so by an unusual combination of remote buttons!
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    To enable debug logs.
    Menu -> settings -> system -> logs -> settings -> enable debug logs
    Will do so ...probably tomorrow (busy with family birthday today).

you can also see your crash and debig logs at
    Menu -> settings -> system -> logs -> settings -> log manager (pressing red toggles between the two type of logs)
    Noted.

Is that on public view (ref: spiders and search engines, scrapers, skimmers, bad actors etc)? Also stuff 'calling-home' tends to trip alarms all over the place (by my design) so I may have to dig deep to appropriately whitelist. Tomorrow ...as above

In case you haven't found it yet
    Menu -> setup -> system -> customise -> setup mode = expert (this gives more menu options)
    Ummm... yes, I was actually in 'expert mode' already. Whilst not an 'expert', with my experience of general satellite receivers being less than a week - starting from nothing at all, I tend to learn 'tech' surprisingly quickly - for my advanced age :-) You'll see.

Title
    Thanks
    See my earlier reply.

These boxes really are 100% reliable
    Mmmm... we'll see...

I couldn't crash mine if I tried, with one possible exception when setting up a NAS password, a problem fixed in the next release.
    Noted. I seem to have a knack (curse) of readily falling over bugs and any code weakness... I've effectively been alpha/beta testing for four decades and have generally found that stuff needs to be pretty bomb-proof to get by. This box needs more armouring:-)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Agree completely, but unfortunately my in laws have taught me that if the receiver can be placed in a state that it appears to be not operational then some people are quite capable of doing so by an unusual combination of remote buttons!
    Agreed. Prime case of QED;-)