Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A better UK powewr pack for AXHD61

Title
    Thanks

A better UK powewr pack for AXHD61

I got the box and like it a lot but the configuration for the power lead is a joke. Its a brick with a 2 pin prong and then that is stuck into a UK 3 pin adaptor!!!

But it looks awful sticks out a mile and makes a mess of my tv stand ie pushes it out from wall.

Is there a better solution?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I haven't got a AX61 but all the E2 boxes I've got use the same type of DC connector.
    The 12v 5a power supplies from ebay for LED strip lighting work fine.

s-l500.jpg

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

bmitie (08-09-20)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmitie View Post
    I got the box and like it a lot but the configuration for the power lead is a joke. Its a brick with a 2 pin prong and then that is stuck into a UK 3 pin adaptor!!!

But it looks awful sticks out a mile and makes a mess of my tv stand ie pushes it out from wall.

Is there a better solution?
    If you purchased from World of Satellite did it come with a 2 to 3 pin adapter where the 2 pin physically fits inside the 3 pin sideways. If not this may provide a neater solution.
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...2pin%20adapter

I had a two pin main plug on one of my boxes (witha WOS supplied adapter) and I just cut off the 2 pin plug, stripped back the wires and fitted a UK 3 pin plug. Fit a 3 Amp fuse in the plug (they often come with a fitted 13Amp fuses).
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

bmitie (23-03-22)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Willo3092 View Post
    I haven't got a AX61 but all the E2 boxes I've got use the same type of DC connector.

s-l500.jpg
    Some boxes have internal power supplies and are fitted with a mains lead with a 2 pin main plug. As it is a legal requirement for UK suppliers to supply mains equiment that has a UK mains plug WOS will include a 2 to 3 pin adapter where the 2 pin fits inside the 3 pin casing and is clamped in position.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    But I'm assuming the OP's box has an external power supply because he describes it as a 'brick'.
    I would think that if it has an internal power supply then it would just have a mains lead that plugs into a 3 pin adapter.

BrianTheTechieSnail

Exclamation

s-l500.jpg
    Everyone, please be aware that the mains lead in that photo looks to be a highly dodgy type without a fuse in the plug. They often have really cheap thin cable fitted too.
    I recommend never using such a lead, though if you only ever plugged it in to some kind of fused adapter you could maybe argue it would be okay.
    Last edited by BrianTheTechieSnail; 08-09-20 at 16:46. Reason: clarify

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    That's just a picture from google to demonstrate. Mine are all fused plugs.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    But I'm assuming the OP's box has an external power supply because he describes it as a 'brick'.
    I would think that if it has an internal power supply then it would just have a mains lead that plugs into a 3 pin adapter.
    Yep, sorry I missed the brick bit. If purchased from a UK supplier the brick should not have come with a 2 pin plug and it may/will be dangerous to hang it off a two pin adapter if the electrical connection is not tight or if the weight of the brick cause the pins to start withdrawing from the 2 pin adapter.

Code:
    https://www.hants.gov.uk/business/tradingstandards/consumeradvice/safety/plugschargers

Title
    Thanks
    thanks for replies, I dont like cutting plugs!! but in this case it will be the best solution if it works. I have lots of boxes with 2 pins and use the usual adapter like as shown above. Here are a few pics of this new beast.

Is it possible to just use a 3 pin plug with 3 amp but is this not an adapter ie it puts out 12 volts!! The one I have for a solo 2 fits the axhd61 slot but that outputs 12v to 3.5amp . I dont like messing with plugs so tend to use what came but this one is horrible and box is not cheap.

Is it possible to get a nice uk one with exact same specs as per my 5th pic? These pics are what I got from WOS. The normal adapter won't fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmitie; 08-09-20 at 18:21.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Whats wrong with the solo2 psu?? The AX61 psu is 12V/3A so the Solo2 psu is capable of delivering a little bit more power than required. It would be a lot safer than buying some chinese tat on ebay
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

bmitie (08-09-20)

Title
    Thanks
    But is it safe? 3.a as opposed to 3.5a. And I need solo2 as well but would a solo2 power lead do the job ie I can buy one?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    thanks for replies, I dont like cutting plugs!! but in this case it will be the best solution if it works.
    Unfortunately with that power brick there is nothing to cut off that can be replaced. Ideally the power brick should have come with an inbuilt 3 pin connector not requiring an adapter. I believe that supplied adapter meets UK legislation and is OK. It's not the type that could cause problems - the brick is physically held in the adapter by that molded plastic bit and and not just by the two narrow pins.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    The last 2 Vu boxes that I bought came with Chinese or Korean PSU's (I forget which), They certainly didn't say Vu+ on them.
    I think the Chinese have pretty much cornered the market as far as PSU's are concerned.

I've just been in the loft and got the PSU out from my Vu+ Duo 4k box and it is Chinese.

Vu+ Duo 4K PSU.jpg

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

bmitie (08-09-20)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    But is it safe? 3.a as opposed to 3.5a. And I need solo2 as well but would a solo2 power lead do the job ie I can buy one?
    Of course its safe. It has the capacity to deliver the required power. A 5 amp like the one pictured in previous posts would do the job either. If it was much less than 3A it might not deliver the power and would probably burn out.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

bmitie (08-09-20)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    The last 2 Vu boxes that I bought came with Chinese or Korean PSU's (I forget which), They certainly didn't say Vu+ on them.
    I think the Chinese have pretty much cornered the market as far as PSU's are concerned.

I've just been in the loft and got the PSU out from my Vu+ Duo 4k box and it is Chinese.

Vu+ Duo 4K PSU.jpg
    Yes pretty much everything switched mode comes from China but there might be a bit of QC on the stuff supplied with branded receivers while the stuff on ebay is a pure lottery. They do make up their own "CE approved" logos etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast