Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Autotimers and Description Uniqueness

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    "New:" needs dealing with as well, maybe ignore it from checks, but include it in movelist (or maybe not, Tags get confused. )

Episode details are now being added to some repeats, handy, but not always.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    Autotimer defaults with search set to everyday finds 12 unique timers. No uniqueness settings used. Used 00:00 entry to setup.
    Hi css. Many thanks for the reply, and taking the time to run the test.

Well, I can't duplicate your results - setting the autotimer to 'no uniqueness' results, as expected, in all 26 programmes being recorded (ie. just the same as 'Check for uniqueness in: Title and all descriptions'.

Either I'm using a different version of OpenViX and/or the Autotimer plugin, or I'm doing something really silly (more than likely). Is it possible for different boxes to work differently, I wonder?

Anyway, could you post screenshots of your setup please, the same as the ones I posted earlier, and also state your versions of Vix and the plugin?

Regards.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I'm running ViX 5.3.039, same version of autotimer.

Which skin are you using, it's new to me?

All I did was highlight the episode in the epg search starting at 00:00, blue for autotimer, and then unchecked "only on weekday", green to save, green to save.
    Only one autotimer default has been changed - at end go to deep standby.

The fact that unique episodes run at the same time each day obviously helps in this case.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I'm running ViX 5.3.039, same version of autotimer.

Which skin are you using, it's new to me?

All I did was highlight the episode in the epg search starting at 00:00, blue for autotimer, and then unchecked "only on weekday", green to save, green to save.
    Only one autotimer default has been changed - at end go to deep standby.

The fact that unique episodes run at the same time each day obviously helps in this case.
    How many days are you looking forward.
    Menu -> Timers -> Autotimer -> Menu -> 8:Setup -> Only add timers for next x days
    If it's only one day you may find that the repeats/duplicate arrive tomorrow.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    How many days are you looking forward.
    Menu -> Timers -> Autotimer -> Menu -> 8:Setup -> Only add timers for next x days
    If it's only one day you may find that the repeats/duplicate arrive tomorrow.
    I'm looking forward 7 days, otherwise I wouldn't have got 6 days worth of unique timers, 2 per day !

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Codger View Post
    Forces TV (LCN 96): Programme 'Robin's Nest': First episode in EPG tonight at 01:00. Search find 16 episodes in total - 8 unique, 8 repeats.
    Do the repeats say they are repeats (in some way)?
    If so, you can add a filter to exclude then all, or set one to only include things that contain "New: "....
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    ..... no indication of repeats unless you trawl thru' each episode in the search and start memorising and counting. No New: either.

The descriptions are a bit different, apart from the 1st one, they all have the same description (classic 1980's comedy...), followed by the Series/Episode, followed by a unique title.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I'm looking forward 7 days, otherwise I wouldn't have got 6 days worth of unique timers, 2 per day !
    Doesn't your method only work for Autotimers if the unique programs are at the same time of day, and limited to a short period of the day. I use Autotimers to do the searching of the EPG for me without me having to use my cyrstal ball to establish at what time the broadcaster is going to transmit the program in the future.

In this case of Two in Clover the full description is different for different episodes! But, what assumptions is the software making?

Checking for uniqueness in Title and short description results in all but one episode being rejected. The identical parts of the description is approx 150 characters which is then followed by "s1, Ep4/7" etc.
    For most episodes to be rejected
    i) The short description limited to n characters?
    ii) The Series and Episode information is not part of the definition of the short description

Checking for uniqueness in Title and all descriptions results in no episodes being rejected, even repeats.

Doesn’t this suggest that “all descriptions” are NOT being checked or else the software would detect that s1, ep4/7 exactly the same as s1, ep4/7 – the second occurance is not unique.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Doesn't your method only work for Autotimers if the unique programs are at the same time of day, and limited to a short period of the day. I use Autotimers to do the searching of the EPG for me without me having to use my cyrstal ball to establish at what time the broadcaster is going to transmit the program in the future.
    I did confirm that in post #33.

The OP couldn't get that to work so I was giving him the details he asked for.

I've never used the uniqueness filtering, one reason being that I can't really be sure it's doing what I want, particularly after a week or two.
    I'm not keen on the "any time, any day" approach to finding programmes.
    But the main reason is that I never actually need to.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Just thought I'd highlight the programme description I mentioned earlier, it's in a format I've not noticed before.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    Thanks
    Morning all.

Before I go any further, a query about the forum software. I haven't seen any obvious way of including more than one 'quote' in a single post: is it possible to do this?

Post #33 (css)

The skin is 'OverlayHD', which has a configuration editor to make various changes to its colour-scheme and appearance. I've done a few tweaks, mostly to the rather gloomy black default on the EPG - it's not a very easy process, I have to say. Before installing it fairly recently, I used 'ViX-Day-HD'.

Your example settings almost works (just one duplicate when run today), but it relies on selecting the 'timespan' option, something that won't apply in many cases.

Post #38 (adm)

Thanks for this - it appears to duplicate my results exactly. It looks like the 'title and all descriptions' option isn't doing what one might expect, either.

Post #40 (css)

Are you referring to the episode name in addition to the series/episode number? Yes, a bit unusual, but the Freeview EPG doesn't seem to have many standards when it comes to the description layout etc: down to human vagaries, I guess.

Incidentally, I seem to remember a couple of 'series' extensions in the plugins list. Does anybody know what these actually do?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    To multiquote messages use the button to the right of "Reply with quote"
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Morning all.

Before I go any further, a query about the forum software. I haven't seen any obvious way of including more than one 'quote' in a single post: is it possible to do this?
    You could cut and paste the quoted text in and then use the word quote enclosed in square brackets and the beginning and the word /quote at the end, again enclosed in square brackets
    Example
    test quote
    Post #38 (adm)
    Thanks for this - it appears to duplicate my results exactly. It looks like the 'title and all descriptions' option isn't doing what one might expect, either.
    I can confirm your findings for your example in that neither test for uniqueness works at all. Having said that it a long time since I've seen such laziness by the broadcaster by not giving episode titles rather than a generic description for all such programs.

I have a very vague recollection that there used to be another option of checking a long description but this crashed the software as often there was no long description to check. Perhaps a fix for this bug has resulted in unexpected behaviour ????????

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Hi css. Many thanks for the reply, and taking the time to run the test.

Well, I can't duplicate your results - setting the autotimer to 'no uniqueness' results, as expected, in all 26 programmes being recorded (ie. just the same as 'Check for uniqueness in: Title and all descriptions'.

Either I'm using a different version of OpenViX and/or the Autotimer plugin, or I'm doing something really silly (more than likely). Is it possible for different boxes to work differently, I wonder?

Anyway, could you post screenshots of your setup please, the same as the ones I posted earlier, and also state your versions of Vix and the plugin?

Regards.
    Could your EPG be different?

How have you configured your box to get it's EPG?

I get mine off the air using EPG-Refresh.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianTheTechieSnail View Post
    Could your EPG be different?

How have you configured your box to get it's EPG?

I get mine off the air using EPG-Refresh.
    He's using freeview, so it just populates automatically, and #41 suggests his epg isn't different to mine.
    Last edited by ccs; 08-09-20 at 12:35.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast