Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Autotimers and Description Uniqueness

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianTheTechieSnail View Post
    Please explain what situation when setting up autotimers using descriptions would require you to realise that series one is described as 1960s and series two as 1970s.
    The 1960's or 1970's is irrelevent, I've already acknowledged more than once that I was wrong to comment on them.
    I thought the descriptions were wrong, I didn't double check, hence my reference to "type of knowledge you might expect to need".

The two series are clearly identified, that's what I normally check for first, the decade just got in the way.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    I'm trying to make it so that the descriptions that only change slightly can still be used to tell different episodes apart.
    And you are doing it for a specific set of examples where that will work without considering every other similar issue where it might/will not.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    And you are doing it for a specific set of examples where that will work without considering every other similar issue where it might/will not.
    Give examples or go to hell.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Give examples or go to hell.
    Post #120 shows potential pitfalls. Ignoring that you could filter on 1960 or 1970, at the end of many of those EPG descriptions there seem to be a number of random characters. Any equallity checking may/will see them as different (asuuming the rest of the description is generic)
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Post #120 shows potential pitfalls. Ignoring that you could filter on 1960 or 1970, at the end of many of those EPG descriptions there seem to be a number of random characters. Any equallity checking may/will see them as different (asuuming the rest of the description is generic)
    Those random characters are part of the epg database, nothing to do with the description, I should have mentioned it before.

This is a bit of what it really looks like.....

Code:
    <ÿNø¶ÿ   MÊeng ÅProject Radish-a-pult: Wind knocks a large branch onto a bridge in Doozer Creek, halting construction of a wind turbine. The Pod Squad build a machine that gets the project back on track! (S1 Ep1)ð;ðM   J
    @‚#:E@
    E–ÿ/Ž—E   M¦eng ¡1970s comedy series with Sid James and Victor Spinetti as two city-dwellers who have moved to the countryside - expecting farming life to be simpler. S2, ep2/6.2ù>Ó   MengUpside Down …–óç   MÂeng ½Remake of the classic veterinary drama. Siegfried hopes to bag the job of Attending Vet at Darrowby Racecourse, by buttering up the head of the race course, General Ransom. (S1 Ep 3)[AD,S]ý½¦È   MVeng QTony and Pippa are given £12,000 and the chance for Tony to prove himself.  [S]¶UD   M&eng!60 Minute Makeover with Peter... “*S   J
    @„#:D„
    Looks like the language (eng) might be in there, but I'm only guessing.
    Last edited by ccs; 13-09-20 at 11:07. Reason: extras

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

Title
    Thanks
    Hi all.

When I started this topic, little did I think that it would cause a 'punch-up'. As Abu Baniaz says, please calm down and be polite to each other.

Anyway, I'm most grateful that Brian has gone to so much effort.

I've tested his version of Autotimer, over a number of different programmes on both the 'Forces TV' channel and several others, including some of the main ones (BBC etc) and a few of the lesser ones.

So far, I've found only one case where things don't work properly (there will be others of course): Dr Who on the 'Drama' channel next Sat/Sun -
    This one is a little unusual in having several episodes with 'New. ' at the start of the description, not in the title, so Brian's version of course creates timers for all episodes including duplicates (which don't have the 'New. '), while the standard version of Autotimer works as intended.

Without wishing to stir up any more aggravation, may I suggest the following improvements (?) to the new version -
    1. Instead of replacing spaces, punctuation etc with underlines, drop them completely. This would help where, for example, a comma has been left out of one descriptions, or "its" has been changed to "it's" , and so forth.
    2. (controversial!) Have an extra option in the 'Edit Autotimer' page, to allow the new code to be toggled on/off. I guess that this could require changes to another python module, and assumes a means for 2 module to communicate with each other, but would have the advantage of making it easier to disable the new features without having to revert back to the standard version. Too much work to implement this suggestion, perhaps?

Finally, a question.
    Will any change to the matching algorithm affect the result of comparing an episode's description with the lists of recordings and completed timers?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Codger For This Useful Post:

BrokenUnusableAccount
    An slightly improved version that handles "New." at the start of descriptions and ignores ascii apostrophes has been made available
    Code:
    https://www.brian-gregory.me.uk/GDL/AutoTimer.py
    Last edited by Sicilian; 16-09-20 at 12:29. Reason: remove live link

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrokenUnusableAccount For This Useful Post:

Old Codger (16-09-20),Willo3092 (16-09-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentLurker61 View Post
    An slightly improved version that handles "New." at the start of descriptions and ignores ascii apostrophes has been made available AutoTimer.py
    Many thanks for that.

The first change works as expected - it sets up timers for just the first 3 episodes of the programme mentioned in post #141, instead of all 6 as before. Can't test the 2nd change until such an example actually occurs, of course.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Codger For This Useful Post:

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentLurker61 View Post
    An slightly improved version that handles "New." at the start of descriptions and ignores ascii apostrophes has been made available
    Code:
    This is the best version that I've tried. Only picked up one duplicate and that had a different short description.

1_0_19_1B1D_802_2_11A0000_0_0_0_20200916144302.jpg

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Not particularly relevent, but epg search of Us, BBC1 21:00 today, must produce a world record number of hits.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    Not particularly relevent, but epg search of Us, BBC1 21:00 today, must produce a world record number of hits.
    But presumably setting a service of BBC ONE, a day of Sunday and a time range of 20:30 to 21:30 reduced the number considerably. Which is what Autotimers let you do for such cases.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    But presumably setting a service of BBC ONE, a day of Sunday and a time range of 20:30 to 21:30 reduced the number considerably. Which is what Autotimers let you do for such cases.
    Yes, I know, my autotimer picked up a single programme when I set it up earlier in the week, but an epg search just gives you everything with "Us" in it - hundreds.
    Most of the time epg search gives you what you want, this one was an exception I'd not noticed before.

I tried it out last night, an autotimer with partial match, any time, any day, any service (I think some people do this), the box coped ok with hundreds of timers and 12 recordings starting up.
    Undoing it took a while.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

BrokenUnusableAccount

Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtfulLurker61 View Post
    Don't know if anyone but me is still using this, (BTW it works fine on v5.4) but since that post I've added a few more ways I've seen new series identified in to it and hopefully made it slightly better at seeing Sky and Freeview descriptions as the same in some cases where the text used is basically the same etc. It's all relatively minor improvements though.
    Code:

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrokenUnusableAccount For This Useful Post:

Old Codger (02-12-20),Willo3092 (24-10-20)

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Quote Originally Posted by BefuddledBrian View Post
    Don't know if anyone but me is still using this, (BTW it works fine on v5.4) but since that post I've added a few more ways I've seen new series identified in to it and hopefully made it slightly better at seeing Sky and Freeview descriptions as the same in some cases where the text used is basically the same etc. It's all relatively minor improvements though.
    Small changes from 5.4.006 now included. I'm still using it.
    Code:

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BrokenUnusableAccount For This Useful Post:

Willo3092 (19-02-21)

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910