Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RF Out with different tuners

Title
    Thanks

RF Out with different tuners

Could anyone please walk me through how to connect my new (to me) ET10000 to a loftbox to distribute an RF signal. This arrangement worked fine with my previous Technomate TM Twin OE which had a dedicated RF output. I kept that unit until now despite its limitations (using Open Vix 3.x.xx) because when I tried to upgrade it I was told that most modern tuners distribute their signals via 4K outputs and do not have RF outputs. I passed on that solution as none of my tvs can handle that resolutuion.

I have 4 tuners installed on the Xtrend - 1 x AVL6211 (DVB-S2) (active) and 3 x TDA10024 (DVB-C) tuners (all unused) and at the moment am using openvix 5.3.039 to access UK freesat and an IPTV feed which work perfectly well on the tv that is directly connected to the ET10000 by HDMI.

Is this possible to distribute the signal using my existing tuners as I can't find any reference to RF output anywhere within the setup menu options. Is this actually possible with this version of Open Vix or do I need additional hardware or a different tuner?

Cheers

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    what do you mean with RF signal? Do you you want your ET10000 to receive digital TV and convert it into an RF signal you put into your house cable as a cable TV signal so that other "normal" TVs can also watch this program? If yes I do not see any RF out on the back of the ET10000 so this will not work.

Ralf
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

urantoid (07-09-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts

RF Out with different tuners

You will need different hardware. There is a hdmi to RF demodulator.

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...%20demodulator

5. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

urantoid (04-09-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the swift response.

That's exactly what I want to do. My tuners all have connections labelled RF out. I was told on another forum that these RF outputs should be already activated but after further research I'm wondering if this was in the mistaken belief that I had so-called combination DVB C/S/T tuners?? Mine seem to be just DVB S/S2 and DVB-C hence my detailing their actual designation in case it helps.

I have also heard that I might have to attach an RF modulator or use the HDMI or USB output but I'm still not quite sure exactly what the best option is for my particular set-top box. If I can use the existing tuners by hooking them up somehow using some sort of cable that would be ideal but at this stage I'm not sure what they can actually do.

As you can tell I'm a newbie and still finding my way. The various technical terms are difficult to understand so any advice gratefully received.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    You will need different hardware. There is a hdmi to RF demodulator.

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...%20demodulator
    Just saw this response. Seems like a pricy solution. Is it possible to simply switch out one of my existing tuners with a combo version?

Title
    Thanks
    Unless a receiver has a demodulator, it won't send out a TV output over RF. Tuners are irrelevant to this.

When you see "RF out" on a tuner, it is a "loop out". So for example, TV aerial comes in to tuner 1, 1 out to 2 in, 2 out to 3 in.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

urantoid (04-09-20)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by urantoid View Post
    Thanks for the swift response.

That's exactly what I want to do. My tuners all have connections labelled RF out. I was told on another forum that these RF outputs should be already activated but after further research I'm wondering if this was in the mistaken belief that I had so-called combination DVB C/S/T tuners?? Mine seem to be just DVB S/S2 and DVB-C hence my detailing their actual designation in case it helps.
    What are the type numbers of the tuners?
    How many of each tuner do you have?
    menu -> setup -> tuners and scanning -> tuner setup.

I have a et10000 and fitted to mine......
    Si2169 is a hybrid terrestrial tuner capable of SD and HD from and aerial (T and T2) and also the same from cable (aerial [t2] or cable selectable during setup)
    AVL6211 is a Satellite tuner capable of SD and HD for Freesat and Sky FTA

What is the input source to your box? Satellite, Terrestrial (via an aerial) or cable?

The output connectors on these tuners, I suspect, do not do what you expect them to do. They will just have a copy of the tuner input signal, nothing more - effectively a bit of wire between input and output (actually, there will be a bit of buffering electronics). They will not have the decoded TV channel from the box modulated on them nor will these RF outputs be capable of outputting a recorded program.

I have also heard that I might have to attach an RF modulator or use the HDMI or USB output but I'm still not quite sure exactly what the best option is for my particular set-top box. If I can use the existing tuners by hooking them up somehow using some sort of cable that would be ideal but at this stage I'm not sure what they can actually do.
    What was your previous set-up? And what exactly do you want to achieve?
    Are your secondary TVs digital TV compatible - can they receive digital TV on thier own or are they very much older technology and are analogue only?

Do you want to see the output of your ET10K on these secondary TVs, say, to watch recordings?

The answers you get will depend very much on what you are actually trying to achieve and what the technology your secondary TVs are capable of.

Also "traditional" RF distribution may give you the poorest quality picture and to achieve this with more modern equipment may not be the best cost effective solution.

With respect to your original observation the HDMI output may have been capable of 4K but also other lower resolution standards.
    Last edited by adm; 04-09-20 at 11:22.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

urantoid (04-09-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Just saw this response. Seems like a pricy solution. Is it possible to simply switch out one of my existing tuners with a combo version?
    Not possible. You need an HDMI Modulator like the one mentioned by @Abu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

urantoid (07-09-20)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    The ET10K has a scart socket, that would be a cheaper way of creating a simple RF out to other tv's.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

urantoid (07-09-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    And with that comes crappy picture quality. HDMI Modulator is the best solution and at least then he is future proofed to some extent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

urantoid (07-09-20)

Title
    Thanks
    What does the OP want to watch in other rooms? Might be other solutions possible

19. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

urantoid (07-09-20)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    .... like using the Technomate as a client/slave if it still works ok. (It would need updating to 5.2.045)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Your Technomate TM Twin OE had a inbuild modulator. None of the tuners for a ET10k have this functionality. [Possibly no modern box has this inbuilt functionality]. Changing tuners will not get you the functionality of your Technomate box. It is old technology that fell out of favour about the same time that analogue tv got switched off as it could not support HD TV.

Again what do you want from the RF output? Do you want to be able to see the decoded TV output and/or recordings from your ET10k box or do you just need an aerial rf input to your other TVs? The former will require extra equipment whilst the latter maybe a connector cost a couple of quid.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

urantoid (07-09-20)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    The ET10K has a scart socket, that would be a cheaper way of creating a simple RF out to other tv's.
    And then then OP would/could lose his HDMI connection to his main TV.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

urantoid (07-09-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    And then then OP would/could lose his HDMI connection to his main TV.
    They work simultaneously for all other receiver. Is the ET 10K different?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

urantoid (07-09-20)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast