Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost all recordings

Title
    Thanks

Lost all recordings

Hi,
    I just tried to record a program on my VU Duo 4k and it couldn;t find the mount for the recordings. The disk is still there and ok but recordings have gone. I looked at the drive in Filezilla and I can browse it but the /hdd folder seems to have reset. I telnet on to the box and the disk space looks low when I run a df command at 11%. Is there anway to get my files back?

Thanks,
    Dan

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Impossible for the HDD to have wiped itself. You just need to remount your HDD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks. I tried to mount and I get mount failed. If I look in the recording list there is a new movie folder with no recordings. Any ideas of how to get them back?

Title
    Thanks
    Simplest way would be to reflash the receiver again.

Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Perhaps you need to run only a checklist in telnet:

fsck.ext3 -f -v -y /dev/sda1

BrianTheTechieSnail
    If it was me the first thing I'd do would be to reboot the box, perhaps not even doing a clean shutdown first.
    This means that if the corruption is confined to the RAM in the running system I minimise the chance of it spreading to the hard drive.

After than it depends how badly I want to preserve the maximum amount of the missing data, and on whether it mounts at all.

Running an fsck on the drive is a pretty good idea but if you've lost something really important it might reduce the chance that even a data recovery expert can get it back.

note: fsck is more or less the Linux equivalent of a chkdsk in DOS/Windows.
    Last edited by BrianTheTechieSnail; 29-08-20 at 23:38. Reason: add note

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I lose things also as my mount is in error yet tuner config works,network ip is not there so i just do a network restart on box as when i check in network box has no ip setting.Restarting network on box and make sure samba or nfs is working/enabled.

Sometimes recorded stuff is in another folder,i think i have other stuff in lost and found directory and that might have been moved from another box to free up space.

Title
    Thanks
    ssh into the box and do a find on a media file file extension, if it finds it, this command will list the path

find / -type f -name '*.ts' -exec ls -l {} \;

something like that might throw up something

Title
    Thanks
    I've tried a reflash and also run a chkdsk. Its like I have a new drive. Pretty sure it is gone forever unless I try to recover files from the drive but it looks like that needs commercial software and presumably a linux pc to run it from. I'm a bit gutted as I had recorded a load of the bbc classic football and sports on over the summer to watch later.

Anything left to try? Why would it be impossible for this to happen?

Thanks,
    Dan

Title
    Thanks
    I said impossible for ViX to delete the HDD. When I’ve lost mounts before a simple re-flash and a fresh setup cures it.
    On the other hand if your HDD has become corrupt/faulty that is a complete different ball game.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks. I think that has worked for me in th past but not this time for some reason. I don't think it has become faulty. It is less than 12 months old and I haven't hammered it. I've never had a faulty HDD before and checkdisk showed no errors. What I have done is:

- unplugged my HDD from the VU Duo 4k (which is really easy now as it can be done without opening the box)
    - Plugged it into the USB port of my windows pc using a USB to SATA / SATA power adapter

After a bit of reseach I have found that TestDisk is free and can be downloaded here: https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download.

I tried the testdisk tool but that didn't seem to work. So I tried a deepdive function withint testdisk and that looks like it would take 8 days to complete! So I tried the other tool bundled with it, photorec.

I have followed this tutorial here to look for .ts files on the drive and it does seem to be finding .ts files It looks like this tool will take a day at least but I have a promising message, which is updating as it reads, of 275 files found and Estimated time to completion of 18h24m.

Hopefully this will recover some, if not all of the files. I'll update once I have more info.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danped For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (31-08-20),cactikid (31-08-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Hi, i have recently purchased a VU+ultimo4k, Have only had this machine for a couple of weeks, I too have lost all recordings, On going to recordings HDD/Movie the list is empty, at the bottom of the non existent list it says 0%. if i tried to record something is says no space available, tried to remount the drive still not finding the drive for recording, Rebooted box and the drive was available, still no content, recorded a short clip from eastenders to check that it works, it does. so where have all the other recordings gone, I had a Solo2 for many years without trouble but if this happens again it's going on EBAY

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Maybe OpenVIX can sometimes do bad things to your files if you allow the hard drive to get completely full??
    Seems weird though.

Title
    Thanks
    No where near full. as i said only a few weeks old with a new 1TB Seagate barracuda hard drive fitted. i've removed the USB thumb drive from the back i used for the EPG storage as it shows an error when mounted, just a point of note i had a VU+USB turbo tuner working on my Solo2 but it wont work on the Ultimo4k even though it i recognised, but that has been removed for a week now, need a MTSIF T2 twin tuner now but not listed at WOS. VIX build no is 5.3.039. processor temp 58c

Title
    Thanks
    @104bill - With an empty 1TB HDD your recordings list will show something like 960GB free disk space. If it shows something markedly different then you are probably looking at the wrong mount. Have you tried checking in OpenWebIF , I would just out of curiosity, before doing anything that might destroy the data?
    VU+ Uno 4K SE Twin FBC Tuner 1TB HDD - Magic-FHD skin
    TV - LG OLED55CS6LA
    Remote - Logitech Harmony One

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast