Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Please clarify image update procedure

Title
    Thanks

Please clarify image update procedure

ATM I'm flashed with VIX image.
    However, the latest instructions refer to multiboot installation.
    I don't have multiboot needs so the question is:
    Do I update image with the Mmc.zip file only OR do I need to follow the entire procedure with both files starting with the Recovery Emmc.zip?
    Help much appreciated. Don't want to screw up.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    So multiboot is built in whether you use it or not.
    Rather than worry about which image - use Online flash to install a new image.

The simplest way to flash an image once OpenViX is installed: - hit blue button, select ViX, select Backup Manager to backup settings (you might have to hit Menu button to select a HDD), then select ImageManager and download (yellow button to download latest Image and select ViX), then blue button to flash image.
    It will ask you to select image slot and I would suggest you not select the current image slot - that way you can always choose the old image if you have issues.
    It will flash the new image, reboot and then you will be given an option of using the settings backup, and thats it.

Its actually very quick.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

loppoman (27-08-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for that.
    What if I want to try another image, e.g. openatv?
    What's the procedure then?

Title
    Thanks
    flash it in another memory slot
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner
    Triax 88 cm rotor single LNB 30 E- 40 W
    1 Gibertini 1.00 m fixed - 3 quad LNB 19E-23.5E-28.2E

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bellejt For This Useful Post:

loppoman (27-08-20)

Title
    Thanks
    OK, that's clear but which zip file to use? There's the mmc.zip OR the Recovery Emmc.zip. Which one, or do I need both?
    Apologies for being a bit thick. I had no problems with the earlier methods using an update file but with this new format, I'm not comfortable yet.

Title
    Thanks
    I only see the mmc file for download in atv.

Ps : better to ask 2 questions then to shatter your box
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bellejt For This Useful Post:

loppoman (27-08-20)

Title
    Thanks
    http://images.mynonpublic.com/openat...hp?open=sf8008
    2 different images - none contain an update file, stable version 6.4

Title
    Thanks
    you do not need to get them there.Just use imagemanager in vix. Blue - vix - image manager - download - choose ATV or other option

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bellejt For This Useful Post:

loppoman (27-08-20)

Title
    Thanks
    I have an AX61 box and its similar to yours, you only use the recovery if you screw up and have to recover. When I click on your link I see 4 files but I always check dates there are 2 recovery and 2 normal but 2 dates 25 and 27. To get multi boot menu on your box it should say in manual. Basically you would download the image you want to a usb stick unzipped, then when at multiboot menu you will get the option where to flash from, it will show usb stick as you will have put that in box before accessing mneu. So for me I have 4 images on a usb stick and can select each one in turn. As mentioned above make a not of the partition for the vix one as that is your fallback.

You mention and update file, there is no such thing, these are the latest updated images.

Post back if still unclear. I am here in rain experimenting with multiboot.

Title
    Thanks
    Great tip, thanks!! I did not know this source for download. You're right. Just one file. I wonder what the Emmc.zip file is for?
    OK, so it is now downloaded - from here on, I just flash the image, right? What precautions do I need to take? What happens with the existing VIX image and settings?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bellejt View Post
    you do not need to get them there.Just use imagemanager in vix. Blue - vix - image manager - download - choose ATV or other option
    Hi, that's a nifty feature but will it give the partition option and as it shows open pli can I load that on AX? I dont want to screw up ie it might just overwrite existing image.

Title
    Thanks
    at flashing you should be asked in what slot to flash.Just choose a free one.Your original will be kept in other slot. After flash you will be asked witch slot to start from (or image)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks bmitie, good info. I note the comment re vix partition as fallback. I've not ever used the multiboot menu so I will be a bit anxious. The 4 files for download are what they call nightly downloads. I don't fully understand what that means except to assume that they are constantly updated and the latest date is the latest release. I could be wrong.
    Anyway, thanks again and wish me luck.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmitie View Post
    Hi, that's a nifty feature but will it give the partition option and as it shows open pli can I load that on AX? I dont want to screw up ie it might just overwrite existing image.
    OpenPli do not support the HD61 - the code will search the OpenPli libraries and download if present.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by loppoman View Post
    Thanks bmitie, good info. I note the comment re vix partition as fallback. I've not ever used the multiboot menu so I will be a bit anxious. The 4 files for download are what they call nightly downloads. I don't fully understand what that means except to assume that they are constantly updated and the latest date is the latest release. I could be wrong.
    Anyway, thanks again and wish me luck.
    Yep, they run an image build most nights - ViX & OpenPli run builds when there is sufficient changed or if a fix is required
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners: