Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Freeview Tuner doesn't show Freeview channels

Title
    Thanks
    Because I want ITV London, etc. My Postcode is DG1 4DJ. That page says I should use Caldbeck. Is that correct?

I installed my Sundtek USB tuner.

Setup > Tuner Config > Tuner Setup > Select Tuner E: Sundtek DVB-T2 (III).

Tuner Type: DVB-T2
    Configuration Mode: Enabled
    Region: Change to "United Kingdom, all regions Europe DVB-T/T2)". Also tried Calbeck, Cumbria.
    Enable 5V for active antenna: Off
    Press Green to Save.

Menu > Setup > Tuner Config > Terrestrial Scan.
    Band; UHF Europe
    Network Scan: No
    Clear before scan: Yes
    Only Free Scan: No
    Restrict Search to Single ONID: No
    Create Terrestrial Bouquet: Yes
    Create Terrestrial.xml file: No
    Tuner D: Sundtek DVB-T2 (III) (1/0) (USB) (DVB-T2)

Tried it with UK all regions as the region. HD channels didn't appear with same problems as before. Tried it with Calbeck, Cumbria and HD channels still don't appear in Favourites > Terrestrial.
    However the HD channels appear in Providers > Unknown. I'm getting a picture now but there's picture breakup every minute or so on all the freeview HD channels. When I press OK on a channel to view info about the channel it says "DVB-T and HbbTV" for BBC 1 HD and BBC 2 HD.

The following channels say DVB-T and do NOT say HbbTV and haven't seen any breakup on them yet:

Channel 4 HD
    Channel 5 HD
    ITV HD

The following Standard Definition channels say DVB-T and do NOT say HbbTV and have a lot of breakup all the time:
    Dave
    Drama
    Sky News
    Yesterday

Above are just some examples, I haven't checked all the other channels as I'm not interested in them.

I enabled service type icons. All channels in Unknown and in Favourites > Terrestrial have a blue tower picture to the left of the channels names.

Anybody got any idea of what's going on here? When I plug the aerial directly into my box's tuner I don't get a picture on any Freeview channels as there's massive breakup and didn't get HD channels at all. When I used the Sundtek tuner I got the HD channels and the HD channels show but have break up every minute or so and the SD channels have a lot of break up.

Is there a test I can do to check that I'm able to receive freeview properly? Don't understand why not even the USB tuner isn't working properly. I used to use that tuner on my VU+ Duo 2 box in the same room.
    Last edited by SkyFan; 26-08-20 at 19:40.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Have you installed the Sundtek control centre plugin?

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...Control-Center

I'm afraid you'll never get itv london on freeview if you live in Scotland.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    There have been reshuffle of frequencies. So you may need to adjust cabling, filters, face plates.

Can you please forget the HBBTV indication. It is irrelevant.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Code:
    https://www.freeview.co.uk/help
    suggests Thornhill is your transmitter, based on a random house number.

Title
    Thanks
    Yes I installed Sundtek control centre plugin. ITV London is the least of my problems! I'd be happy with just getting a picture that doesn't break up.

Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    There have been reshuffle of frequencies. So you may need to adjust cabling, filters, face plates.
    Can you be more specific? An aerial is fixed in one place on a roof. How can I possibly adjust my cabling? I've got an Aeriel wall socket which connects to the aerial in the attic which connects to the Aeriel on the roof.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyFan View Post
    Because I want ITV London, etc.
    You can ONLY get what your local transmitter mast is transmitting. Different transmitter masts may/will be transmitting different regional programs. Each mast may only have a range of 30 to 50Km, assuming no hills or mountains in the way.

My Postcode is DG1 4DJ. That page says I should use Caldbeck. Is that correct?
    Possibly yes but you do need to check the direction/bearing of your aerial. If it is pointing at, say, Dumfries South then setting Caldbeck will result in the wrong frequencies being scanned. However Caldbeck also seems to have a very limited service on "Caldbeck Scotland" (maybe something like the non-english language channel, Glaswegian etc.)

I installed my Sundtek USB tuner.

Setup > Tuner Config > Tuner Setup > Select Tuner E: Sundtek DVB-T2 (III).

Region: Change to "United Kingdom, all regions Europe DVB-T/T2)". Also tried Calbeck, Cumbria.
    Is the Calbeck setting in this section of tuning been kept up-to date or is it just a legacy setting that may be wrong? Transmitter frequencies have changed over the past year or so.

Press Green to Save.

Menu > Setup > Tuner Config > Terrestrial Scan.
    Band; UHF Europe
    Network Scan: No
    Clear before scan: Yes
    Only Free Scan: No
    Restrict Search to Single ONID: No
    Create Terrestrial Bouquet: Yes
    Create Terrestrial.xml file: No
    Tuner D: Sundtek DVB-T2 (III) (1/0) (USB) (DVB-T2)
    So maybe your plugin is scanning all posible frequencies and picking up signals from distant transmitters that will give you low signal levels and very poor reception. Ideally you need just to scan from your local transmitter and not just use a scatter gun approach.

Is there a test I can do to check that I'm able to receive freeview properly? Don't understand why not even the USB tuner isn't working properly. I used to use that tuner on my VU+ Duo 2 box in the same room.
    Try ABM and only with your inbuilt tuner and with no splitters

Region: Change to "United Kingdom, all regions Europe DVB-T/T2)"
    Press Green to Save.

menu -> setup -> tuners and scanning -> autobouquetmaker -> providers ->
    Freeview UK =yes
    Region = Calbeck England (there is a Calbeck Scotland setting but that only covers a couple of MUXs and not the full range of programs)
    FTA only = yes
    Create main bouquet = yes
    Say no to all the other options until you test this.

then
    menu -> setup -> tuners and scanning -> autobouquetmaker -> start scan

If this works you have something wrong in the settings or drivers that you have previously been trying to use.
    If it doesn't check the direction of your aerial.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Maybe time to take a look at frequency finder......

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...UK-Terrestrial

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    Maybe time to take a look at frequency finder......

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...UK-Terrestrial
    Which doesn't give the correct results with some tuners.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    Code:
    https://www.freeview.co.uk/help
    suggests Thornhill is your transmitter, based on a random house number.
    There are 3 possible transmitters and only Coldbeck has the full range of MUXs and the terrain between the post code and Calbeck transmitter looks good

txpath.jpg

so, if the tranmitter transmits in the scotish direction for all MUX then that is the most likely.

However only the OP can tell us in which direction his aerial points. Otherwise we are only speculating on which transmitter. The wolfbane site gives the bearing to the transmitter. Aerial pointing approx SouthEast = calbeck, aerial pointing North West = Thornhill or Dumfries. Three options out of 4 only transmit on 3 MUXs rather than 6.

Edit: also check which way the aerial is orientated, Horizntal or Vertical polarised. See the PICTURE at
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/help...rial-do-i-need

Horizontal = Calbeck (England or Scotchland)
    Vertical = Thornhill or Dumfries

10. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (26-08-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Is the Calbeck setting in this section of tuning been kept up-to date or is it just a legacy setting that may be wrong? Transmitter frequencies have changed over the past year or so.
    The xml file is not used for tuning, it is used for scanning. It is also not used by ABM.

Unless someone provides details/reuests a change, they stay as they are. We only list problematic/clash areas as the general one should work.

Best to set " ignore namespace subnet" to no and scan. You won't get overwrites.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    These are the combinations of mux's you could be getting, you should be able to work out if you're receiving from more than one transmitter...

Code:
                    psb1  psb2    com1    psb3    com2    com3

Caldbeck	  25	28      23	30	26	29		
    Caldbeck Scotland 27	24		22					
    Dumfries South	  43	46		50						
    Thornhill	  57	60		53
    When watching live tv (freeview), press ok twice and then channel up/down. You should see which CHannel is being used. (Maybe skin dependent)
    Last edited by ccs; 27-08-20 at 11:27. Reason: typo

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    You can ONLY get what your local transmitter mast is transmitting. Different transmitter masts may/will be transmitting different regional programs. Each mast may only have a range of 30 to 50Km, assuming no hills or mountains in the way.

Possibly yes but you do need to check the direction/bearing of your aerial. If it is pointing at, say, Dumfries South then setting Caldbeck will result in the wrong frequencies being scanned. However Caldbeck also seems to have a very limited service on "Caldbeck Scotland" (maybe something like the non-english language channel, Glaswegian etc.)

So maybe your plugin is scanning all posible frequencies and picking up signals from distant transmitters that will give you low signal levels and very poor reception. Ideally you need just to scan from your local transmitter and not just use a scatter gun approach.

Try ABM and only with your inbuilt tuner and with no splitters

Region: Change to "United Kingdom, all regions Europe DVB-T/T2)"
    Press Green to Save.

menu -> setup -> tuners and scanning -> autobouquetmaker -> providers ->
    Freeview UK =yes
    Region = Calbeck England (there is a Calbeck Scotland setting but that only covers a couple of MUXs and not the full range of programs)
    FTA only = yes
    Create main bouquet = yes
    Say no to all the other options until you test this.

then
    menu -> setup -> tuners and scanning -> autobouquetmaker -> start scan

If this works you have something wrong in the settings or drivers that you have previously been trying to use.
    If it doesn't check the direction of your aerial.
    I did that.

What is the menu I'm supposed to check to find the channels after I do all that? Do I go to Favourites > Terrestrial?
    I did that and still can't see BBC Four HD there. I also tried to see if Thornhill was an option but it isn't listed. So Calbeck seems to be my only option, is that correct?

Is there any way my aerial could have changed direction? I used to set the tuner to "United Kingdom, all regions Europe DVB-T/T2" and it worked then so I'm not sure why it's not working now.

How do I find out what way my aerial is pointing? I checked that link I was given and it doesn't help. I don't have a compass on me. How do I know what way is North or South?
    Last edited by SkyFan; 05-10-20 at 17:15.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    You must have some idea where N/S is? Have a look for the sun setting this evening around 7 - that will be roughly west and you should be able to figure the rest out.

The channels scanned in wont end up in your favourites unless you put them there.

Bring up your bouquet list. Press the green button (satellites). Near the top of the list you should see "Terrestrial - Services". In there will be all terrestrial services that you have scanned in
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    It's really cloudy where I live at the moment so I can't see the sun. I have a flat aeriel type. I looked in Terrestrial Services and BBC Four HD isn't there.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyFan View Post
    It's really cloudy where I live at the moment so I can't see the sun. I have a flat aeriel type. I looked in Terrestrial Services and BBC Four HD isn't there.
    Just look at which way your neighbours aerials are pointing.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast