Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Freeview Tuner doesn't show Freeview channels

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Your sony tv has 2 terrestrial tuners, one analogue, and one digital, as far as I can tell (could be wrong the spec is very ambiguous.)

There's a button on the remote to switch between analogue and digital if I've got the tuner bit wrong.
    Last edited by ccs; 10-10-20 at 19:25.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyFan View Post

So I don’t understand why Freeview works on that TV but not on my Tiviar Alpha+ box?
    I'm not sure from your description above if you plugged your "crappy" TV into the SAME lead that was previously connected to you Tiviar box or your Sony TV. If it was a different lead from your aerial to a different room then possibly a problem in your wiring distrubution which could be
    i) Damaged lead
    ii) Water in the lead if run outside and/or with a join in the lead outside the house.
    iii) Dodgy connecor at the end of the lead or a dodgy connection in a faceplate.

Otherwise if it was the same lead - dodgy aerial connecting lead? (probably just the connector at the end of the lead)? Just re-plugging the lead into another device may have made what is a loose connection sound again - for a short while until you move it again. Is the connection on the end of your aerial cable a molded plug or a separate connector?

The fact that your Tiviar box and your Sony TV have the same problems suggest the problem is external to both your box and TV.

http://www.megalithia.com/elect/bellinglee/index.html

Is the aerial connector a tight fit into the connector on the back of your box or Sony TV or it a bit sloppy?
    Last edited by adm; 10-10-20 at 19:38.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    Your sony tv has 2 terrestrial tuners, one analogue, and one digital, as far as I can tell (could be wrong the spec is very ambiguous.)

There's a button on the remote to switch between analogue and digital if I've got the tuner bit wrong.
    There's only 1 port on the TV for an aerial cable (coaxial) cable which is the same cable I put into my Tiviar Alpha+ box. There's also 2 ports for satellite cables. I selected the Digital Scan option on my TV instead of Analogue because there is no analogue any more, freeview is digital isnt' it?. It found channels but none of them display a picture. The digital/analog button my remote for my TV does nothing. Don't care that much as I don't use my TV for freeview. Just want to get freeview working for my freesat boxes.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    There's only 1 port on the TV for an aerial cable (coaxial) cable which is the same cable I put into my Tiviar Alpha+ box. There's also 2 ports for satellite cables. I selected the Digital Scan option on my TV instead of Analogue because there is no analogue any more, freeview is digital isnt' it?. It found channels but none of them display a picture. The digital/analog button my remote for my TV does nothing. Don't care that much as I don't use my TV for freeview. Just want to get freeview working for my freesat boxes.
    Forget analogue TV. It is long dead in the UK for broadvcast TV. Freeview is digital
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    I'm not sure from your description above if you plugged your "crappy" TV into the SAME lead that was previously connected to you Tiviar box or your Sony TV. If it was a different lead from your aerial to a different room then possibly a problem in your wiring distrubution which could be
    i) Damaged lead
    ii) Water in the lead if run outside and/or with a join in the lead outside the house.
    iii) Dodgy connecor at the end of the lead or a dodgy connection in a faceplate.

Otherwise if it was the same lead - dodgy aerial connecting lead? (probably just the connector at the end of the lead)? Just re-plugging the lead into another device may have made what is a loose connection sound again - for a short while until you move it again. Is the connection on the end of your aerial cable a molded plug or a separate connector?

The fact that your Tiviar box and your Sony TV have the same problems suggest the problem is external to both your box and TV.

http://www.megalithia.com/elect/bellinglee/index.html

Is the aerial connector a tight fit into the connector on the back of your box or Sony TV or it a bit sloppy?
    I have an aerial wall socket. I then use a coaxial cable plugged into that and the other end goes into my sat box.

There's nothing that could go wrong with the cable itself as it's a molded cable. Here is the cable I use: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Mount...34HHVJQ1396DA1

Yes I used that same cable from the same aerial wall socket to connect to my crappy TV as I did to my Tiviar or big TV. The crappy TV displays all freeview channels fine, the big TV won't display any channels. The Tiviar box doesn't display the channels correctly. Some have no picture and some have breakup.

For the data I previously submitted with the frequencies and locked info, is there something else I need to do now to choose the correct frequency to get freeview working on my sat box? Did that info help at all?

I don't understand why I can get all the freeview channels to display fine on my crappy TV but not on my freesat box?
    Last edited by SkyFan; 10-10-20 at 20:01.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I have an aerial wall socket. I then use a coaxial cable plugged into that and the other end goes into my sat box.

There's nothing that could go wrong with the cable itself as it's a molded cable. Here is the cable I use: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Mount...34HHVJQ1396DA1

Yes I used that same cable from the same aerial wall socket to connect to my crappy TV as I did to my Tiviar or big TV. The crappy TV displays all freeview channels fine, the big TV won't display any channels. The Tiviar box doesn't display the channels correctly. Some have no picture and some have breakup.

For the data I previously submitted with the frequencies and locked info, is there something else I need to do now to choose the correct frequency to get freeview working on my sat box? Did that info help at all?

I don't understand why I can get all the freeview channels to display fine on my crappy TV but not on my freesat box?
    I'm at a loss to explain UNLESS your aerial is not pointing at Calbeck

Go back to the

menu -> setup -> tuners and scanning -> signal finder

and repeat and note down your previos tests but for :

618 MHz ch39 --- Thornhill
    626 MHz ch40 --- Dumfries south

642 MHz ch42 --- Thornhill
    650 MHz ch43 --- Dumfries south

666 MHz ch45 --- Thornhill
    674 MHz ch46 --- Dumfries south

These other two transmitters are unlikely because we have established, albeit from what maybe very old streetview data, that the earial is horizontally polarised an pointing SE and both Thornhill and Dumfries South are vertically polarised and in the oposite direction, although that will not stop a signal from being recieved as nearby transmitters can often be received on "a piece of wet string"

Title
    Thanks
    Do I just do the same test as in this post? https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...l=1#post503571

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Do I just do the same test as in this post? https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...l=1#post503571
    Yes .

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Skyfan

Just a random thought
    You say that your crappy TV works on your previous unresonsive aerial connection
    Was you crappy TV previously connected to the aerial elsewhere AND could the act of disconnecting the crappy TV and leaving the other room's aerial connection open circuit have made your problem connection work? Have you tried your Sony and Tiviar box back on the problematic connection with the crappy TV still disconnected from its previous aerial outlet? Disconecting a 75 ohm load (the crappy TV) may have increased the signal level on other splitter outlets, although an unterminated coax cable may result in other problems.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Skyfan

Just a random thought
    You say that your crappy TV works on your previous unresonsive aerial connection
    Was you crappy TV previously connected to the aerial elsewhere AND could the act of disconnecting the crappy TV and leaving the other room's aerial connection open circuit have made your problem connection work? Have you tried your Sony and Tiviar box back on the problematic connection with the crappy TV still disconnected from its previous aerial outlet? Disconecting a 75 ohm load (the crappy TV) may have increased the signal level on other splitter outlets, although an unterminated coax cable may result in other problems.
    I'll give it a try at a later time when my parents are away.

Here's the other test results you asked for:

618 Mhz: 0% unlocked Thornhill
    626 Mhz: 0% unlocked Dumfries South

642 Mhz: 0% unlocked Thornhill
    650 Mhz: 0% unlocked Dumfries South

666 Mhz: 0% unlocked Thornhill
    674 Mhz: 0% unlocked Dumfries South

Think I'm screwed with Freeview as we can't seem to get it working. Unless there's any other suggestions?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Think I'm screwed with Freeview as we can't seem to get it working. Unless there's any other suggestions?
    I cannot see why if one device can give you reliable Freeview channels two others on the same aerial connector cannot do the same. The problem appears to be a lack of signal from the selected (Calbeck) transmitter to which your aerial appears to be pointing.

As I posted earlier, I widely speculated that you may have changed the signal level on the cable by removing a device (crappy TV) from another aerial outlet. You need to connect you box and/or Sony TV with the same cable configuration (the other room has nothing connected to the aerial)

How is the signal from your aerial distributed around the house? From what you have previously written possibly there is a passive splitter in the loft but how many outputs does it have, and how many are used? Can you provide an on-line picture of the type of splitter you have?

If the aerial lead is split to feed two or more rooms has the connecting coax cable been joined in any way along its length? A mismatched coax cable joined in an inappropriate way or a coax cable that has been crushed can behave in very unexpected ways.

While you may be pointing to a different transmitter from the obvious and recommended I cannot fathom which one it may be but if you perform the tests again in post number 118 and starting at
    Transponder = 474Mhz (Channel 21) and then incrementing the channel number up to Channel 60

Note down only the channel numbers that give any indication on the SNR bar.

Have you tried taking your box down to the aerial outlet from where you previously had the “crappy” TV connected?

One other possibility is local electrical interference killing the signal but again if one TV can display Freeview channels why not the others? As a test you could turn off any nearby electrical equipment while testing for Freeview reception. In some instances wall-wart type power supplies have been known to spew out lots of electrical interference.

My gut feeling is that you problem is external to your box.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789