Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: EPG Refresh and EPG Corruption

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
Yes
Attachments

Thread: EPG Refresh and EPG Corruption

BrianTheTechieSnail

EPG Refresh and EPG Corruption

Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    Your epg file may be corrupt. Delete it. Its nothing to do with building an image so maybe a new thread?
    Sometimes when my EPG gets corrupt it seems I can only continue by manually doing 'Menu' / 'Setup' / 'EPG' / 'Load-save-delete' / 'Delete EPG'
    before starting EPG-Refresh 'Refresh now'.

Surely I should be able to acheive the same effect by enabling 'Flush EPG before refresh' in EPG-Refresh which I have always had enabled, as a fix for getting overlapping EPG events when the EPG is changed.

Something must be only half working in EPG-Refresh's 'Flush EPG before refresh' feature.

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Is anyone there?
    Nobody seen this problem, or never seen it?

My Zgemma H7S just did it again.
    EPG had gone funny.
    I rebooted.
    Manually started EPG Rrefresh (which is set to flush EPG before refreshing).
    No Sky EPG data received. It mostly looked like the times and not the titles were present.
    I did 'Menu' / 'Setup' / 'EPG' / 'Load-save-delete' / 'Delete EPG' and then manually started EPG Refresh.
    Only then was Sky EPG data received.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Brian, over the years when I have had any issues with the epg data, its usually due to a corrupt file (for wahtever reason) - and its far easier to stop the system, delete the file and reboot.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

4. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

BrianTheTechieSnail
    So it's fine that flush EPG is not doing the same as delete EPG?
    That's how it's supposed to be?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianTheTechieSnail View Post
    So it's fine that flush EPG is not doing the same as delete EPG?
    That's how it's supposed to be?
    No idea, never used them - I take the easy approach - delete and let the system re allocate on reboot
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

7. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Sigh.
    Oh well.
    At least using EPG Flush in EPG Refresh does seem to stop those annoying overlapping events in the EPG, which I presume are due to times being changed, they usually look like that's what happened -- two different times 5 minutes apart for the same program both present in the EPG being a common example.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Sigh.
    Oh well.
    At least using EPG Flush in EPG Refresh does seem to stop those annoying overlapping events in the EPG, which I presume are due to times being changed, they usually look like that's what happened -- two different times 5 minutes apart for the same program both present in the EPG being a common example.
    Are you using more than one source for your EPG? For instance, over the air AND via the Internet?

Have you set Automatiic Refresh and Automatic save to yes in menu -> setup -> epg -> settings? If so try setting both to off.

Speculation.....
    Could the difference between delete and flush be what is being deleted or flushed? There is a copy of the EPG on your hard disk (or where ever you have confogured it to be) and another copy in RAM. Could it be flush is only destroying the RAM copy and not the saved hard disk copy?

By the way, I'm getting Freeview and SKY FTA EPG over the air for 7 DAYS AND using EPG refresh to tune into Sky IEPG at any time between 7anm and 10pm. I have Automatiic Refresh and Automatic save both set to no and I'm not seeing any problems. The EPG is saved to hard disk when I do a deep standby every night, or the box has been on for 2 hours without me touching the remote.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Are you using more than one source for your EPG? For instance, over the air AND via the Internet?
    No. I just use EPG-Refresh.
    I have tried some of the others but EPG-Refresh is the best.
    Perfect except that it doesn't seem to get EPG for radio.

Have you set Automatic Refresh and Automatic save to yes in menu -> setup -> epg -> settings? If so try setting both to off.
    Yep both off. Found that recommendation somewhere on here.

Could the difference between delete and flush be what is being deleted or flushed? There is a copy of the EPG on your hard disk (or where ever you have configured it to be) and another copy in RAM. Could it be flush is only destroying the RAM copy and not the saved hard disk copy?
    Yes I guess it could, flush does kind of imply RAM rather than disk to me.
    But it doesn't make a huge amount of sense that it would matter because, AIUI, the EPG on disk is supposed to only exist to be reloaded when the box boots up.

By the way, I'm getting Freeview and SKY FTA EPG over the air for 7 DAYS AND using EPG refresh to tune into Sky IEPG at any time between 7anm and 10pm. I have Automatic Refresh and Automatic save both set to no and I'm not seeing any problems. The EPG is saved to hard disk when I do a deep standby every night, or the box has been on for 2 hours without me touching the remote.
    How are you getting Freeview EPG? The Freeview EPG doesn't seem to get filled from the Sky EPG on my box.
    I get some Freeview EPG by including Freeview "BBC ONE HD" after "IEPG data 1" in the channels EPG-Refresh scans. It seems to get 7 days EPG for the channels on that multiplex and at least about 2 days ahead for most or all the other channels, plus a scattering of days more than 2 days ahead.

It looks like my corruption may be because the signal from the dish through the building's distribution system is a bit weak and noisy.

1_0_19_C472_837_2_11A2D96_0_0_0_20200903014335.jpg1_0_19_C472_837_2_11A2D96_0_0_0_20200903014154.jpg

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    How are you getting Freeview EPG? The Freeview EPG doesn't seem to get filled from the Sky EPG on my box.
    With the same setting as you have in the first screen shot from your last post, Enable EIT EPG = yes.
    Freeview (Not Freeview from Sky) has its own EPG that gets populated over the air.

Sometimes when switching between my SKY FTA satellite bouquet and my Freeview bouquet the EPG data appears to be missing but if I then select any channel in the Freeview bouquet to watch live TV and then immediately return to a (grid) EPG screen the EPG is fully populated.

I have both satellite and terrestrial tuners and tend to watch/record from satellite. As a result I seldom tune into a terrestrial channel and therefore wasn’t necessarily getting the Freeview EPG data in order for Autotimers to set timers for the very limited number of recordings I set on the Freeview channels. EPG Refresh now has a setting for Sky IEPG in my Sky FTA bouquet and BBC1 in my terrestrial Freeview bouquet. Recently I was away from home for a month and both settings allowed all my AutoTimer recordings to be detected in the EPG and executed successfully on both satellite and terrestrial.

I get some Freeview EPG by including Freeview "BBC ONE HD" after "IEPG data 1" in the channels EPG-Refresh scans.
    Is that BBC One HD from a teresstrail source or from a satellite source? They are different and I have similar setting with BBC1 SD (terrestrial).

It seems to get 7 days EPG for the channels on that multiplex and at least about 2 days ahead for most or all the other channels, plus a scattering of days more than 2 days ahead.
    That could be that you have cleared (flushed) the EPG data and then have not waited long enough for the data to be re-populated over the air. In my experience it can take anything from 5 to 15 minutes and was a complaint about other propriety Freeview boxes that didn't store the EPG data to hard disk and it took a long time after switch on to re-fetch new data.

When you have this partial popultaion of the EPG try watching BBC ONE HD for, say, 10 to 15 minutes. Does the EPG then fully populate? If so try setting EPGRefresh to stay a longer time on the channel.

It looks like my corruption may be because the signal from the dish through the building's distribution system is a bit weak and noisy.
    I haven't noticed program times have changed by 5 minutes, and if they have I cannot see why it would be a problem with fetching over the air EPG data - the new data would just overwrite the data in the RAM. I have seen the over the air EPG being out of date or wrong when programs, say, change channels at short notice but generally this gets self corrected a bit later. This will cause problems for recordings that already have existing timers for the event.
    How are you detecting these 5 minute discrepancies?
    Last edited by adm; 03-09-20 at 08:22.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

BrianG61UK (12-11-23)

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Thank you. I will try some more experiments.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thank you. I will try some more experiments.
    To make sure you are starting from a clean (EPG) slate you may want to run the enigma2-plugin-extensions-removeepg_2016_06_17_all.ipk

Download ipk to your PC
    Transfer (via FTP) to your box to /tmp
    Blue > Vix > Install local extension > Select/highlight the ipk > Green button

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...890-Remove-EPG

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

BrianG61UK (12-11-23)