Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Box freezes

Title
    Thanks

Box freezes

Hello Guys,

Recently I have noticed the box freezes when I'm watching Netflix, Prime etc on my smart tv.

The picture is frozen however the sound is still coming through. unable to turn off by remote. got to turn off from the back.

have you guys had any issues like this?

BrianTheTechieSnail
    No.

Let me check I have this straight.

You're doing sommething else on your smart TV so you can't see or hear what's coming out of the H7 box but when you switch back to watching the output from the box it's gone weird and the picture is frozen but sound still continues plus it doesn't respond to the remote.

Is that it?

BrianTheTechieSnail
    If the weather has been really hot recently where you are maybe it's the heat making the box go weird?

Title
    Thanks
    Yes that's right. but not all the time though. I've noticed it when I'm watching Netliflix or prime for some time the box comes unresponsive.

And your right about the box, it does become hot but surely that ain't the issue?

Title
    Thanks
    Put the box in standby mode which i posted on the other forum

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1554leslie View Post
    Put the box in standby mode which i posted on the other forum
    So I have to put the box in Standby mode in order to watch Netflix. Apologies but that's the silliest thing I've heard.

I will have the box on all day, no issues. Maybe I need to put some ice on it.

I'm asking the OpenVix team and WOS if they come across this issue before.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    You will need to look at debug log as to what is causing it. Might be a hdmi-cec thing that box is not handling.

If you are not watching your box, why is it silly to put it into standby?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

1554leslie (21-08-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    You will need to look at debug log as to what is causing it. Might be a hdmi-cec thing that box is not handling.

If you are not watching your box, why is it silly to put it into standby?
    I have always had the box on even though i'm not watching it and had netflix on. never had issues with my previous H2H

I have HDMI-CEC on. So if I put it on standby it will turn off the telly.

But this only happens on a minimal occasion.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    You have not answered the question. Why it is silly to switch the box into standby while you are not watching it? Would it be silly to switch the playstation/xbox/wii off/standby while you are watching TV and not using the console?

If you don't want to answer it, just say so. The other issue you reported needs to be looked at. Is it the same with other images?

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Something I have noticed on my H7 is that corrupt or unacceptable video data can make the screen go completely black as if video playback is just not happening at all while sound continues as normal.
    The only way out I can find from that is to reboot the box.
    But I've never seen it happen when viewing live TV or recordings my H7 has made itself, only when trying to use the box to view video files I've copied from elsewhere.
    But maybe if you have marginal reception it can happen with live or recorded TV, and maybe sometimes it can freeze rather than go black.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BrianTheTechieSnail For This Useful Post:

imzy82 (19-08-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    You have not answered the question. Why it is silly to switch the box into standby while you are not watching it? Would it be silly to switch the playstation/xbox/wii off/standby while you are watching TV and not using the console?

If you don't want to answer it, just say so. The other issue you reported needs to be looked at. Is it the same with other images?
    Woah apologies if I'm upsetting ya. I have my box on all the time, that's me, don't know about anyone else. So lets just move on from this part.

So far the box not persistently freezing anymore. The other week I could not turn it on, I thought the batteries were dead, so I had to switch it off from back and on again.

Do you think it could be the weather as BrianTheTechieSnail has suggested?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Boxes without fans and small internal heatsinks are at risk of overheating. If you have the box placed inside a cabinet or in close proximity to other equipment it is quite possibly a problem. Stacking equipment is a no-no. The next time it happens do not switch it off at the back (you are asking for problems). Try accessing the box using openwebif from a pc/laptop. If the box has overheated you most likely wont be able to do this. If it is a HDMI CEC handshake issue then you should be able to reboot the box remotely. Its quite possible you are suffering from both issues.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

imzy82 (19-08-20)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    Boxes without fans and small internal heatsinks are at risk of overheating. If you have the box placed inside a cabinet or in close proximity to other equipment it is quite possibly a problem. Stacking equipment is a no-no. The next time it happens do not switch it off at the back (you are asking for problems). Try accessing the box using openwebif from a pc/laptop. If the box has overheated you most likely wont be able to do this. If it is a HDMI CEC handshake issue then you should be able to reboot the box remotely. Its quite possible you are suffering from both issues.
    Even raising a box by an inch can aid cooling. I'm staying with friends at the moment and their sky box "failed" twice when it was hot. It was placed on two bits of wood (as improvided feet) to improve the air flow underneath and it was then reliable for the rest of the (very hot) week. Even with equipment fans it helps if equipment is not stacked on other equipment that is also generating heat.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (19-08-20),imzy82 (19-08-20),ronand (19-08-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    Thank you ronand, next time when this happens I will remotely access via openwebif.
    My box is at the bottom of the tv stand, lately as the weather cooled down the box is not that hot. what if the box totally fails?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Even raising a box by an inch can aid cooling. I'm staying with friends at the moment and their sky box "failed" twice when it was hot. It was placed on two bits of wood (as improvided feet) to improve the air flow underneath and it was then reliable for the rest of the (very hot) week. Even with equipment fans it helps if equipment is not stacked on other equipment that is also generating heat.
    as the weather has cooled down it aint happening no more. I'm going to look into raising the box to get better airflow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast