Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: [Mutant HD51] Help! Flashing 5.0 > 5.3?

Title
    Thanks

[Mutant HD51] Help! Flashing 5.0 > 5.3?

Hi,

I am a bit of a newbie to flashing, and am attempting to flash my Mutant HD51, from 5.0.032 to the latest version of OpenVix (5.3.035)?

Unfortunately, I’ve tried the following methods, and so far, I have been unable to flash the receiver.

Can any one advise, where I am going wrong?

Method 1
    Setup > Software Update > Software Update – This results in the message “There are no more updates for OpenVix 5.0. You will have to flash/install newer image”

Therefore, I have gone down the flashing route:

Method 2
    Flash via Blue Button > Vix > Image manager > Downloads (Orange Button) – The list of images is blank, therefore I cannot select to download an updated image

On the ImageManager main screen, the Blue option is blank (i.e. no Blue Button)

I have tried copying the 5.3 image (zip file) to the receiver (via Windows Explorer/FTP), but do not know where to copy the image too. Additionally, when I do attempt to copy the image to the reciever, I get a permissions error

Method 3
    Using - https://www.openvix.co.uk/openvix-bu...20by%20USB.pdf

I have unzipped the 5.3 image to a FAT32 formatted flashpen (Freecom, 8gb), and attempted the manual flash via the Power Off-On / Hold Power Button down method. Unfortunately, this results in a ‘No Partition’ message being displayed

I have tried the above with just the hd51 folder in the root of the flashpen, and also placing the individual files (imageversion, kernel.bin, rootfs.tar.bz2 ) in the root, with no success

Method 4?
    I have come across a post, that suggests updating the Bootloader, prior to updating OpenVix, but I am unsure how to do this, and am not sure whether this would be a viable solution?

My current version of OpenVix, reports that I am currently on Bootloader v1.07-r19

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,887 Times in 2,242 Posts
    Option2. /imagebackups folder on your usb/hdd. When you bring up ImageManager hit menu button and just check where it is set to save downloads and if not setup change to your hdd/usb
    I would flash to a different slot than slot 1 which is where the current image is probably installed
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDeveloper View Post
    In there it says:
    4) Power the receiver on.
    5) Immediately after powering on PRESS AND HOLD the front power button until

I would suggest trying pressing and holding the front panel button just before powering on.
    I found that was best way to avoid pressing it too late with my Zgemma H7S.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

(In response to twol's post)
    The 5.3 image is stored in the folder 'imagebackups' (on the flash pen)

When I go to ImageManager, I can see the image zip file listed. However, when I go to downloads (Orange button), I am still getting a empty list.

When I press menu, 'Backup location' is set to '/media/sda1' (which I presume is the USB pen).

However, from this screen, I cannot alter the location (I just have the Red/Green Cancel/Save), to explictly point to the 'imagesbackup' folder

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by DarkDeveloper; 06-07-20 at 19:02.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    I assume you haven’t got an HDD installed in your Mut@nt HD51?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    I assume you haven’t got an HDD installed in your Mut@nt HD51?

No, just the USB pen that contains the hd51 folder

Title
    Thanks
    What format is the Flash pen drive set to?

Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianTheTechHead View Post
    In there it says:
    4) Power the receiver on.
    5) Immediately after powering on PRESS AND HOLD the front power button until

I would suggest trying pressing and holding the front panel button just before powering on.
    I found that was best way to avoid pressing it too late with my Zgemma H7S.
    Hi, Tried that, but still get 'No Partition' message

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,142 Times in 6,220 Posts

[Mutant HD51] Help! Flashing 5.0 > 5.3?

you don't need to download it again. once the zipped image is in /media/hdd/imagebackups/ you can just flash it.

Above file path is mount point. It doesn't matter whether USB or mechanical HDD.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

(In response to twol's post)
    The 5.3 image is stored in the folder 'imagebackups' (on the flash pen)

When I go to ImageManager, I can see the image zip file listed. However, when I go to downloads (Orange button), I am still getting a empty list.

When I press menu, 'Backup location' is set to '/media/sda1' (which I presume is the USB pen).

However, from this screen, I cannot alter the location (I just have the Red/Green Cancel/Save), to explictly point to the 'imagesbackup' folder

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
    If you can see the zip file in image manager just select it (OK). You dont use downloads (that is for downloading from the internet). Just make sure you do a settings backup first
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    He’s on 5.0 @ronand so can’t do a restore of settings if/when he gets to 5.3 anyhow.

Title
    Thanks
    Solved!

Thanks for everyones help.

I noticed that the latest Openvix Image contains 3 files, and on a hunch looked at the next release after 5.0 (5.1.031), which contained 4 files...

So I managed to Flash up to 5.1, and then, reflashed using the 5.3.001 image (zip file also containing 4 files), and from there managed to do the Software update to the current version of OpenVix.

So, I am guessing that you can only flash upto a full first release of Openvix, rather than an incremental upgrade version?

Or are the latest releases missing a file?

Thanks

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DarkDeveloper For This Useful Post:

opentrail (26-06-21)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks

Method 4?
    I have come across a post, that suggests updating the Bootloader, prior to updating OpenVix, but I am unsure how to do this, and am not sure whether this would be a viable solution?

My current version of OpenVix, reports that I am currently on Bootloader v1.07-r19
    There was a bootloader update in 2019:

New bootloader for Mut@nt HD51 which keeps/takes the Broadcom ARM BCM7251S clock speed from 1.5GHz to 1.7GHz.
    Includes experimental features to test extra new functions on chip set.

1) Download attached file and extract the hd51 folder to the root of a USB stick (formatted to FAT32)
    2) Place the USB stick into a USB port on the HD51 (any USB will be OK)
    3) Fully power down the HD51 (remove the power supply)
    4) Press and hold the standby button on the front of the receiver
    5) While keeping the standby button pressed reconnect the power supply
    6) After a few seconds the word bolt will appear on the front display followed by complete!
    7) You can now let go of the standby button
    7) The receiver will now automatically reboot and boot to whatever image was previously flashed

That's it, your Mut@nt HD51 bootloader is now updated!

hd51-bolt-v107r27.zip

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (06-07-20),Andy_Hazza (06-07-20),DarkDeveloper (07-07-20),donegalman (08-07-20),johnrichard (08-07-20)

Title
    Thanks
    This forum thread really helped me too. I also was attempting this upgrade from 5.1 to 5.4 and I also saw the No Partition message when attempting to flash. What is missing from the instructions, which worked for me, was downloading not one but two files and expanding into the hd51 folder on the root folder on the USB drive. Check out the openvix.co.uk Downloads for Mutant HD51 and you will usually see two files for a particular version. The first download file ends with USB and the second download file ends with Recovery Emmc. I needed both of these files otherwise I'd get the No Partition message. Hope this helps other people.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to opentrail For This Useful Post:

johnrichard (28-06-21)