Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Auto Timers and Channel 4 HD

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Post #19 gives you 2 options, Sky UK or Freesat, you appear to be mixing them up, it's one or the other.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (10-07-20),dsayers (10-07-20)

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Yes.

Or if you really want to keep the Freesat channel numbering system because you already know it you could choose Freesat as your first provider in ABM and Sky UK (with FTA only set to yes) as the second one.
    That way you could use the Freesat numbers for the channels that are on Freesat and for all the other stuff you the Sky numbers, plus, probably, 1000 (or maybe 2000 or 3000 etc. depending if other Freesat sub-section bouquets enabled).

Thus 106 would be BBC 1 HD (it's Freesat number), 104 would be Channel 4 (from Freesat numbers again) and 1104 would be Sky 104 which is channel 4 HD.

But I'd suggest changing to the Sky numbering system is probably the more straightforward way to go in the end.
    You may even find some of the extra channels are of interest.
    Last edited by BrianTheTechieSnail; 10-07-20 at 15:27.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Brilliant. Rescanned ABM and got Ch4HD at 126. So thanks for the patience. How often should I scan the ABM?? I guess it is only required if a channel/service gets added/deleted or altered??
    I read one guide that said daily. But what is another view??

So, something to think about is changing to Sky UK. I've looked at the Channel list and I can't say anything must see has jumped out, but need to have a better comparison.
    Although running 2 ABMs is new - can't say I've read that anywhere.
    So if I do switch, pse confirm I should delete everything first that I can find in ABM and EPG menus??
    Then run Sky UK ABM, then EPG, say CrossEPG.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    ABM creates/updates its bouquets per your selection whey you run/execute it. There is no need to delete ABM bouquets prior to rerunning it. The only thing you need to be aware of is that the bouquet are cached by Enigma2, so you need to select a different one first to see changes to your bouquets.

May I suggest you enable "add provider prefix to bouquet name" in ABM menus if you are running two providers.

You don't need to run ABM every day. Tuesdays and Thursdays is fine for UK satellite users. No harm if you run it every day.

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Quote Originally Posted by CRMS View Post
    So, something to think about is changing to Sky UK. I've looked at the Channel list and I can't say anything must see has jumped out, but need to have a better comparison.
    Although running 2 ABMs is new - can't say I've read that anywhere.
    So if I do switch, pse confirm I should delete everything first that I can find in ABM and EPG menus??
    Then run Sky UK ABM, then EPG, say CrossEPG.
    As far as I know you just need to say no to the provider(s) you no longer want and say yes and set the options as you want for the provider(s) you do want.
    Maybe you need to do 'Delete ABM bouquets', couldn't hurt anyway.
    Then run an ABM "scan" to make the new bouquets.

As to how often you need to do a scan. I don't think it really matters.
    I just occasionally manually do 'Update provider files' followed by a scan.
    Maybe someone else can advise.

Also I didn't really follow how you got channel 4 HD as channel 126, and maybe 'Upddate provider files' would mess that up?

Title
    Thanks
    He has not enabled the swap option in Freesat provider. When he does, 104-126 swap will occur.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CRMS View Post
    it is incredibly geeky. Great if you have a long term understanding. But otherwise quite a learning curve. Even a simple glossary is missing - eg what is the difference between lamedb and lamedb5??
    Only a geek would know/ask this. Most users do not FTP to their receivers and inspect contents.

As you have asked..
    The services on the receiver are saved in the lamedb file. Presumabley, db was somoene's acronym for database. There have been different versions of lamedb where different functions get added. Version 4 is the one that everyone uses at the moment. lamedb5 is the next version, but usage of it has not been implemented because of how other plugins etc will interact with it. It is written to, but not used by enigma2 to do anything. If you compare the files, you will see benefits of it from user point of view.

The biggest hurdle to make Enigma2 images as simple as possible is that there is no set/fixed usage. The receivers are used in different countries where each provider does what they want in terms of adhering to the DVB standards. Forget countries, just look here. Sky uses 0101 for radio and 101 for TV. They don't care as they charge the manufacturers licence fees to use propriety software. The simplest demonstartion of this: Channel 4 HD is Free to Air on 28.2, but it is not part of the Freesat package.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    >Only a geek would know/ask this. Most users do not FTP to their receivers and inspect contents.

Unbelievable. Lamedb and lamedb5 are in the Crossepg Configure menu setup options with no explanation. No ftp required. I only tried go ftp as users on this forum mentioned doing it.

Just to connect to a WLAN requires geekiness. Just about every PC, tablet and phone connects with 2 items - a network id and password. OpenVix requires fiddling around on a menu with 6 options and 5 lines of numbers etc.

I appreciate all the effort that many people put into open software, but the documentation is poor. It is clear that those in the know think everyone else will have an inate understanding as soon they switch OpenVix on. It is not the case.

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    He has not enabled the swap option in Freesat provider. When he does, 104-126 swap will occur.
    Er, sorry, I meant where on earth does the number 126 come from?
    But now I realise that it's probably just the first unused number in the Freesat numbering scheme.
    Last edited by BrianTheTechieSnail; 11-07-20 at 00:17.

Title
    Thanks
    >but the documentation is poor.
    Please write better ones

>It is clear that those in the know think everyone else will have an inate understanding as soon they switch OpenVix on. It is not the case.
    many guides have been written, admittedly they are not upto date.

None of the guides have mentioned changing those. You don't even need CrossEPG downloader. CrossEPG was written for several distros and also to allow fetching EPG for services not in use. Again, we would appreciate you updating the documentation.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianTheTechHead View Post
    Er, sorry, I meant where on earth does the number 126 come from?
    But now I realise that it's probably just the first unused number in the Freesat numbering scheme.
    Freesat removed Channel 4 HD in 2018 because they didn't want to pay the money. Those were the two numbers that they had used so we used the vacated one again. I am afraid we did not have bright sparks around to suggest number we use for hacks, sorry if the decision making falls short of any expectations out there.

Channel 4 HD which has not been on Freesat since 22 February 2018. You don't need to use ABM, you can make your own bouquets and use your own numbering system.

BrianTheTechieSnail
    "It's the number channel 4 HD used to be on Freesat" would have sufficed.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I did offer to have a go at a glossary. But was shot down in flames as there were different systems!! But a glossary is just explaining all the terms. Which I thought would be a help for newcomers. I've certainly learnt much in the last few weeks.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    >Er, sorry, I meant where on earth does the number 126 come from?

As far as I can tell:

1. 126 was the old CH4HD Freesat number, with Four7 on 127.
    2. The customMix.xml file tells ABM to use 126 for CH4HD. https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...l=1#post472107.

Now the obvious question, to me, is why is the customMix.xml required for Ch4HD/126 but not Four7 which just appeared on 127 after scanning the transponder?? Perhaps the code is already dormant in the ABM??

I've got to where I want to be without all the answers!!

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    .... Four7 is SD not HD.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast