Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: Missing Program Description

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Attachments
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing Program Description

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts

Missing Program Description

I noticed yesterday that New: NCIS, 5 USA, Freeview, 21:00-22:00 on Monday had no program description.

Next week's episode is the same, so I thought I'd mention it. Hardly earth shattering, I know.

My Freeview TV shows the description ok.

Another oddity.
    When info has been selected for this program in Grid EPG, the left key gives info on the previous program (handy), but the right key just refreshes the 21:00-22:00 entry when selected, and another right key then moves to the next program.
    EDIT: That last sentence doesn't happen anymore for some reason, I haven't yet worked out why.

(Also using latest EPG mods if that could be significant.)

Both my boxes show the same problem, I tried deleting the epg on one, but nothing changed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ccs; 30-06-20 at 20:04.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    This thread probably needs deleting, I've found other online guides which show the same symptoms, so it's just a data error, with fields missing.

I originally thought it might provide a clue regarding epg corruption, which happens from time to time.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Pinching an old thread, revised edition...

5.4.004, CH5 21:00, Robson Green,

EPG search on today's broadcast gives a different result to a search on next weeks broadcast.
    The programme titles are a bit different (no New: in the 2nd), but next weeks epg search finds both broadcasts.

Autotimer doesn't find next week, which was the original issue, despite using a partial match.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ccs; 14-01-21 at 20:33.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    This thread probably needs deleting, I've found other online guides which show the same symptoms, so it's just a data error, with fields missing.

I originally thought it might provide a clue regarding epg corruption, which happens from time to time.
    I'm not sure about this. I've seen the same but sometimes I can close down the grid EPG screen and the next time I go back the description data is populated.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    I'm not sure about this. I've seen the same but sometimes I can close down the grid EPG screen and the next time I go back the description data is populated.
    This particular problem went on for a number of weeks, and showed up on different guides.

Maybe I should have started a new thread, but time is running out to check my post #3.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Maybe the missing close bracket ")" in today's programme description is the problem?

BrokenUnusableAccount
    This may all be obvious but AFAIK EPG Search will find any partial match so searching for "The Game" will find "New: The Game" and "The Game - 2020 retrospective", but searching for "New: The Game" will find "New: The Game" but not "The Game" or "The Game - 2020 retrospective".

The AutoTimer search is a bit weird and IMHO should really be changed, but I can't say for sure what it should be changed to. It uses a thing called SequenceMatcher
    see: https://towardsdatascience.com/seque...n-6b1e6f3915fc
    and looks for > 80% match in the titles but ignores all spaces.
    I think maybe it should look for an exact match.
    Last edited by BrokenUnusableAccount; 14-01-21 at 22:08.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BefuddledBrian View Post
    The AutoTimer search is a bit weird and IMHO should really be changed, but I can't say for sure what it should be changed to. It uses a thing called SequenceMatcher
    It will search for an exact match if you ask it to do so.
    If you don't ask for it then it's not reasonable to expect it to do it.

I always use case-insensitive, partial matches as that allows for broadcasters making changes (having/not having "New:" at the start...) from week to week. Adding time ranges and limiting which days to record filters out multiple matches of the same programme.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    This may all be obvious but AFAIK EPG Search will find any partial match so searching for "The Game" will find "New: The Game" and "The Game - 2020 retrospective", but searching for "New: The Game" will find "New: The Game" but not "The Game" or "The Game - 2020 retrospective".
    That's what I'm seeing, a new example:

(1) CH5 Today___ 21:00 New: Worlds Most Scenic Railway Journeys.
    (1) CH5 Monday__19:00 Worlds Most Scenic Railway Journeys.

EPG search on (1) only finds programmes starting with New:
    EPG search on (2) finds all programmes including those starting with New:

Autotimer is inconsistent as well.

Add autotimer on (1), any time, any day, partial match - only finds todays broadcast.
    Add autotimer on (2), any time, any day, partial match - finds both broadcasts.

New: is getting in the way somehow.

Title
    Thanks
    New: is getting in the way somehow.
    If you ask it to search for "New: ..." then don't be surprised when it doesn't match something that doesn't contain "New".
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    If you ask it to search for "New: ..." then don't be surprised when it doesn't match something that doesn't contain "New".
    I thought that was the reason for using a partial match.

I'm sure you've said in the past you always use partial match in autotimers to avoid this very issue?

BrokenUnusableAccount
    Actually I think this bit is wrong. I'm remembering how it compares with previous recordings if you select that option.

BrokenUnusableAccount

I'm sure you've said in the past you always use partial match in autotimers to avoid this very issue?
    Presumably the correct way would be to edit the autotimer before saving it and remove the "New: " bit.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Presumably the correct way would be to edit the autotimer before saving it and remove the "New: " bit.
    I guess so, but it doesn't make sense to me that a partial match fails when New: is in the title.

Dafter still, I only ever use exact match , the example in post #3 had the wrong title for the 2nd episode, which set me off on a tangent.
    Last edited by ccs; 15-01-21 at 14:46.

Title
    Thanks
    A partial match means that what you search for is in, but may only be part of, what is looked at.

It does not mean that only part of what you are searching for is present.

So even in a partial match everything in your search string must be there (as a substring) but there may be more.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

ccs (15-01-21)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast