Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: Deep Standby as a Timer After Event

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
5.3.035 (Release)
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No

Thread: Deep Standby as a Timer After Event

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Deep Standby as a Timer After Event

I am using a newly bought machine. Last update 21 06 2020

I've set the timer after event to Auto, and then gone to Deep Standby. It records fine from Deep Standby. But afterwards the receiver remains on. Understand it should go back to DS.
    If I set the timer After event to DS, it does indeed go back to DS.

Auto seems to work fine from and to Standby

I have removed any other devices that might be providing an HDMI signal to keep the receiver awake.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Could be because timers from deep standby run in standby, and "auto" says "return to the state it had when the timer started".

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yes, I thought of that. But watching the box it appeared to go straight from DS to On 7 mins before programme start, and not via Standby.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CRMS View Post
    Yes, I thought of that. But watching the box it appeared to go straight from DS to On 7 mins before programme start, and not via Standby.
    There is a thread (see below) that suggests that if the box wakes up more than 6 minutes early for recording then it may not return to deep standby afterwards. These boxes do not have a real time clock and when in deep standby the "clock timing" may lose time and wake up for recording much earlier than expected. The time is then fetched from the broadcast transponder or the Internet and again it is suggested that maybe the box is a bit tardy in obtaining this information or perhaps has already set the after recording mode action before the time is corrected.

If the 6 minute rule is valid with testing you may get variable results depending on how long the box has been in deep standby and how far the internal time has drifted away from reality.

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...fter-recording

I have a power timer that that puts the box into standby after 2 hours of not touching the remote. This kicks in when the box is in live TV mode and in this case where the box is left on after recording it would automatically return to standby after 2 hours. I also have a power timer that automatically puts the box into deep standby if the box is in standby for 10 minutes. The 2 hour power timer puts up a 120 second countdown message on-screen and so can be overridden if actually watching live TV. This 2 hour timer is "reset" to zero every time the remote is used.

2 hour standby timer
    menu -> timers -> power timer -> press green for add
    Timer type = auto standby
    Sleep delay = 120 (user configured minutes)
    Repeat type = repeated

Deep Standby timer
    menu -> timers -> power timers -> press green to add.
    Timer type = auto deepstandby
    Only active when in standby = yes
    Sleep delay = user configured minutes to wait after box goes from standby to deep standby
    Repeat type = repeated

The time may/will stay accurate in standby because very little is powered down and access to the transponder/internet can be maintained. In deep standby much of the box is powered down to get the less than 1W power consumption. In practice of many years of putting my box(es) into deep standby every night I don't recall every losing a recording because a box has failed to wake up from deep standby in time. However, my box tends to record something at least every other day even when I'm on a lengthy holiday away from home. If intending leaving the box for a lengthy time (many days+) in deep standby it may be better to organise a power timer wakeup to fetch the epg and time on a regular basis.
    Last edited by adm; 01-07-20 at 09:44.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    >the box wakes up more than 6 minutes early for recording then it may not return to deep standby afterwards...

Ahhh. So I'll try and reduce the 3m padding before a programme so it is less than 6 mins.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    >the box wakes up more than 6 minutes early for recording then it may not return to deep standby afterwards...

Ahhh. So I'll try and reduce the 3m padding before a programme so it is less than 6 mins.
    That may not be all that useful.
    What is happening is that there is a slightly-inaccurate-but-fast clock running to wake the box back up (running slightly fast is much better than running slightly slow...). So how early it wakes up is directly proportional to how long it has been asleep.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Changing padding to 1m didn't work.

But what strikes me is that the reversion to DS works perfectly well if selected manually in "After event". So it does work, but just not in auto!!
    So it looks like setting manual each time unless I can set a permanent option somewhere??

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    You can change lots of autotimer defaults - press menu when in the autotimer list, I think that's how you get there.

I default to deep standby, apart from one early evening daily recording which "does nothing".

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

To echo another poster ... That may not be all that useful

The wake up time already accounts for the padding. The problem with a "clock" that, say, is 7 minutes fast is at the time of the deepstandby wake up is already 7 minutes early at 3pm with no padding, still 7 minutes early at 2:55pm if you have 5 minutes padding or still 7 minutes early at 2:50pm with 10 minutes padding.
    You may have to just accept this deficiency (no hardware real time clock to keep super accurate time) and perhaps do what I’ve set up with Power Timers so that the box doesn’t stay on unattended for more than X hours. X being a compromise between automatically shutting down the box and not getting too many annoying warnings whilst watching TV without touching any button on the remote.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    You can change lots of autotimer defaults - press menu when in the autotimer list, I think that's how you get there.

I default to deep standby, apart from one early evening daily recording which "does nothing".
    You are correct in that the defaults can be found by pressing menu when in the autotimer list.
    What you set the defaults to may depend on the type and number of programmes you record and their times. I sometimes have a couple of active recordings taking place in the background whilst continuing to watch TV or listening to the radio.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    These boxes do not have a real time clock and when in deep standby the "clock timing" may lose time and wake up for recording much earlier than expected.
    That should say "gain time"