Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Vu+ Solo2 dead - What next?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Smile Vu+ Solo2 dead - What next?

So having read posts in the forum to see if I can recover my Solo2 (stopped at UBIFS update) , it looks most probable its beyond economic repair.

I have therefore trawled the forum for various recommendations. In my (wife's) budget are probably;

AX HD61
    Zgemma H7S
    Vu+ Zero 4k just realised only 1 tuner.

I (still have a VU Zero for my 1080p projector) and my family Solo2 was setup with twin tuners to a Technomate motorised 1.2M dish, OpenVix with Slyk UI. I hope to slavage the 500MB HD and will check its a 2.5" that can be transferred over as it has some family video I'm keen to retain.

I currently don't have 4k capable TV but the last of the great 1080P Panasonic plasmas ~8 years old so may only have a few years left and I have recently replaced my surround sound with a 4K capable Marrantz AV so anticipating a 4K panel in the nearish future will be a necessity

Apart from the price.... what are some factors I should consider whene deciding between the two?

Cheers
    Resurrected Vu+Solo2 /1.2Mdish/TM2600/PannyGT50
    Vu+ Zero/1.2M dishslave/28.2/EpsonTW5300
    Firmware version: OpenViX 5.3.035 (2020-06-21) Driver date: 20190429 Kernel version: 3.13.5

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,892 Times in 2,245 Posts
    H7 good receiver, been around for some time .
    AX HD61, new receiver, very good specs and comes with some style and a neat remote - much more of something you might expose in a lounge setting, compared to the zgemma‘s very basic externals.
    To be honest - I nearly just typed in HD61 because to me its a no brainer, my favourite box of the moment.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Grinnders (27-06-20),Sicilian (28-06-20)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Octagon SF8008 (combo)
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner
    Triax 88 cm rotor single LNB 30 E- 40 W
    1 Gibertini 1.00 m fixed - 3 quad LNB 19E-23.5E-28.2E

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    H7 good receiver, been around for some time .
    AX HD61, new receiver, very good specs and comes with some style and a neat remote - much more of something you might expose in a lounge setting, compared to the zgemma‘s very basic externals.
    To be honest - I nearly just typed in HD61 because to me its a no brainer, my favourite box of the moment.
    Thanks.. sounds like AX HD61 may be more future proof in regards to current spec inline wiht the market. I still use a Harmony One so remote is less of an issue unless Logitech don't include support for this mdoel? .... goes off to check
    Resurrected Vu+Solo2 /1.2Mdish/TM2600/PannyGT50
    Vu+ Zero/1.2M dishslave/28.2/EpsonTW5300
    Firmware version: OpenViX 5.3.035 (2020-06-21) Driver date: 20190429 Kernel version: 3.13.5

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    +1 for AX HD61

Exceptional box, best one imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

Grinnders (27-06-20),Sicilian (28-06-20)

Title
    Thanks
    I have a Solo2 myself and thinking about upgrading to a 4K box. With a fiber based internet connection a gigabit connection is a must. Initially I was thinking about getting the Octagon sf8008, however, it looks like that when zapping between channels the new channel starts in a slow motion manner. Not sure if I would like that, the Solo2 being very fast with no lag so this seems to be a bit of downgrade.
    Also looked at the GigaBlue UHD UE 4K but on Youtube videos there seems to be an image freeze of the new channel when switching for a short while.
    What other receivers are out there who do not have these problems and any recommendations what should I aim for ? The VU+ Uno 4K SE is an alternative but apparently lacks some features with respect to Kodi and Stalker.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts

Vu+ Solo2 dead - What next?

Quote Originally Posted by mrabcx View Post
    I have a Solo2 myself and thinking about upgrading to a 4K box. With a fiber based internet connection a gigabit connection is a must. Initially I was thinking about getting the Octagon sf8008, however, it looks like that when zapping between channels the new channel starts in a slow motion manner. Not sure if I would like that, the Solo2 being very fast with no lag so this seems to be a bit of downgrade.
    Also looked at the GigaBlue UHD UE 4K but on Youtube videos there seems to be an image freeze of the new channel when switching for a short while.
    What other receivers are out there who do not have these problems and any recommendations what should I aim for ? The VU+ Uno 4K SE is an alternative but apparently lacks some features with respect to Kodi and Stalker.
    If that’s gonna be an issue you’ll not be able to have any box (4K) with HiSilicon chipset then, so pretty much your choices are the Vu+ range, I.e. Ultimo 4K, Uno 4K etc.

You could always close your eyes for a couple of seconds before opening them if you did decide on a HiSilicon chipset receiver. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Andy_Hazza; 06-08-20 at 14:49.
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I found the channel change annoying to begin with on my sf8008. Then there was a small improvement to blank the screen for a few seconds so now I don't notice the slow motion any more. I usually watch tv instead of spending hours flicking through channels.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (06-08-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    I usually watch tv instead of spending hours flicking through channels.
    Well said! If I watch live tv and there are adverts, I am now in the habit of pressing the mute button, it's surprising how liberating it is !
    VU+ Uno 4K SE Twin FBC Tuner 1TB HDD - Magic-FHD skin
    TV - LG OLED55CS6LA
    Remote - Logitech Harmony One

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Valiant For This Useful Post:

ronand (06-08-20)