Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Updated OpenVix Manual?

Title
    Thanks

Updated OpenVix Manual?

Hi,

I am currently on OpenVix version 5.0, and am thinking of updating my receiver to the latest version (5.3).

I was just wondering if there was an updated user manual anywhere?, as the 'official' pdf manual dates back to 2014

Thanks in advance

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    How to use the image??

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 5G using Tapatalk

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Thanks
    Frankly speaking I was also about to ask for an update. Particularly in the area of setup not all is described in the manual.

Thanks for putting the focus on this
    nekrub2
    VU+ Solo2
    USB 32GB used as HDD
    Diseq 13.0E 19.0E

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    ... I doubt it will happen any time soon.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanman View Post
    How to use the image??

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 5G using Tapatalk
    Well, yes, but mainly how you configure OpenVix for usage

e.g. I get the impression from scanning through the forum, that the steps for setting up the epg (freesat), adding skins etc., may have changed since both the original 2014 manual and Openvix 5.0 release?

Which means, that the manual becomes a starting point, but ultimately i need to search the forum in order to learn how to do certain things.

That should not be a major problem, but inevitably you end up trawling through lots of posts, with people advising different ways to do the same thing, and then once you find the simplest way, inevitably it no longer applies to the latest builds....

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    EPG for Freesat has not changed. The EPG is absorbed while you watch. Installing skins or plugins is still the same. If it is on the plugin server (feeds), install it from there. If you have to downlaod an ipk, there are several ways to do it, listed in the manual.

This is not a commercial organisation, it is a hobby. People do things for free in their own time. Feel free to update the guide/make your own. CRMS was saying a similar thing. No doubt in a few years someone else will come along and say the same thing about the guide you make. We ought to have a wiki like PLI.

Title
    Thanks

Making amendments on the OpenVix Manual

Dear Abu

I highly appreciate all the voluntary work. So I though I could review the manual.pdf and make some minor adjustments. Unfortunately the PDF is protected and I cannot copy the content into a text document. I'm quite clear that this know-how should not be misused or given away for free. But in order to keep it up-to-date it would be fine to have a document in progress on which users could do amendments.
    What do you think about?
    nekrub2
    VU+ Solo2
    USB 32GB used as HDD
    Diseq 13.0E 19.0E

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Yes, it needs an update.

I am afraid I didn't write the manual. You will have to ask the author for it. In my opinion, it would be better to have a wiki where everyone can contribute to it like PLI do. It is too much work for one person.

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Quote Originally Posted by nekrub2 View Post
    Dear Abu

I highly appreciate all the voluntary work. So I though I could review the manual.pdf and make some minor adjustments. Unfortunately the PDF is protected and I cannot copy the content into a text document. I'm quite clear that this know-how should not be misused or given away for free. But in order to keep it up-to-date it would be fine to have a document in progress on which users could do amendments.
    What do you think about?
    nekrub2
    If anyone does want to make a few updates to it there's free software out there that will easily remove the encryption.
    I just tried the free version of PDFsam and it did it.
    Also you can always just print it to a PDF printer driver like Cute PDF to get an unencrypted version though with that method you need to be careful you don't reduce the quality of any images in the file.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianTheTechHead View Post
    If anyone does want to make a few updates to it there's free software out there that will easily remove the encryption.
    I just tried the free version of PDFsam and it did it.
    Also you can always just print it to a PDF printer driver like Cute PDF to get an unencrypted version though with that method you need to be careful you don't reduce the quality of any images in the file.
    .... I'm sure the author of the document will be pleased to read this.