Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: VU+ Uno 4K SE - Really Basic Questions??

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

VU+ Uno 4K SE - Really Basic Questions??

I am looking at getting the Uno 4K SE to replace and elderly UK Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat device. It will be twin satellite tuner S2X and I'll be asking for OpenVix, I think, and I've found the manuals for the Uno and OpenVix - which I hope is a start. I'll be using the TOSLINK to a USB powered Bluetooth transmitter unit and portable loudspeaker so I can listen to radio without needing the TV on.

I'll be using it on a boat, for which the 12v is brilliant. Unfortunately, as I travel and moor in different places, I have to find the satellite each time. This is not difficult and I manage a 30% success rate of finding the satellite when I switch on with the Humax and also use a small satellite tuner box.

So, Ive been reading around and know that I can load a Freesat "bouquet" etc.

But some basic Qs:

I hope the tuning to satellite, Astra 28E, is as easy??

With my current LNB, non wide band and non unicable, with 2 cables I think I can achieve 8 channel recording with the internal loop through??

Can OpenVix plugins be downloaded to PC and transferred by USB stick?? Or do I need wifi/ethernet connection on the Uno?? What size are plugins??

And do I need a permanent internet connection or just when I want a plugin or update the SE and OpenVix??

I'd like to be able to display the EPG, to set timers, and view recorded programmes on the small display. Can anyone confirm what can be displayed on the small screen??

Any other points I should consider??

Many thanks.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,142 Times in 6,220 Posts
    Welcome to the forum

I hope the tuning to satellite, Astra 28E, is as easy??
    It is the same cluster of satellites as Freesat.

With my current LNB, non wide band and non unicable, with 2 cables I think I can achieve 8 channel recording with the internal loop through??
    Yes. Should be fine, but it depends on combination of quadrants of satellite you are using. I got to 30 odd channels before I started getting issues

Can OpenVix plugins be downloaded to PC and transferred by USB stick?? Or do I need wifi/ethernet connection on the Uno?? What size are plugins??
    Some have dependencies, so might need Internet access. Which plugins?

And do I need a permanent internet connection or just when I want a plugin or update the SE and OpenVix??
    Constant internet connection not required. Just for updates.

I'd like to be able to display the EPG, to set timers, and view recorded programmes on the small display. Can anyone confirm what can be displayed on the small screen??
    Yes for most of them. If I remember correctly, some plugins/menus are missing from front panel skin. But the majority of it is working. You can make the front panel screen clone the TV display. But a bit small for viewing.

know that I can load a Freesat "bouquet" etc.
    With AutoBouquetsMaker, you can also use Sky in Free to air mode only. This will get you more services

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Many thanks. Much assistance.

>Some have dependencies, so might need Internet access. Which plugins?

I don't know yet. This is all new to me. Does OpenVix have various plugins built in??

>You can make the front panel screen clone the TV display. But a bit small for viewing.

Agree. I'm not trying to watch TV, but would like to be able to look at recorded programmes, eg radio, and select to play on bluetooth loudspeaker. If I can look at the EPG and select programmes to set timers for that would be great.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,142 Times in 6,220 Posts
    We have some plugins pre-installed. But without knowing what you want to do, it is not easy to answer. In essence, you can flash the box and use it for FreeToAir including watching recordings without an internet connection or installing anything.

I think you ought to ask someone to double check the toslink output first before committing to the setup.

In terms of other considerations, network connection does necessarily mean internet connection. You could have a router and connect your phone/receiver and play/view items from it if needed.
    Enigma2 receivers also work with Terrestrial. You will need to be extra careful with recordings if moving about though.

Title
    Thanks
    Can you please elaborate on what sort of issues did you encounter with 30-odd channels? I am also a Humax FoxSat (Freesat) PVR and am looking for a replacement and the VU+ UNO 4K SE seems ideal, but wanted to know if these will work with existing LNB like you do? Thanks.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    .... that was 30+ channels recording at the same time, not a usual requirement.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    .... that was 30+ channels recording at the same time, not a usual requirement.
    Didn't even think there was 30+ things on TV at same time to even try this haha

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post

Constant internet connection not required. Just for updates.
    Assuming the time/date is configured (from an Openvix menu option) to be from the broadcast trasponder and not from the Internet.

There is no volume control from the box on the TOSLink output so if you need to adjust the volume it will have to be on a external device (bluetooth speaker or inteface converter)
    Last edited by adm; 06-06-21 at 22:09.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)