Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Can't access Vu+Duo2 Harddisk & root shares from Windows10

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Can't access Vu+Duo2 Harddisk & root shares from Windows10

Hi

Has anyone seen Win10 weirdness where their device shows on the network but is inaccessible via File Explorer? The expected hostname shows (VUDUO2) but there's no sign of the 'Harddisk' or 'root' shares. Instead, there's a generic nothing-doing message:

Windows cannot access \\VUDUO2
    Error code: 0x80070035

Meanwhile, I can access via Putty and WinSCP but file transfers with the latter are painfully slow at ~4.1MB/s max. Oh, and looking now, the session drops after a minute or so ("host is not communicating for more than 15s").

I've tried all sorts Vu+Duo2 & Windows side but nothing's worked, yet. I'm fairly sure it's a Windows thing as it works fine on a laptop but not my main PC. They share the same set-up:

Win10 Pro (Admin user logged in)
    LAN set 'Private'
    Advanced Sharing Settings
    Private
    - Network discovery: on
    autosetup of network connected devices
    - File & Printer sharing: on
    Guest/Public
    - Network Discovery: off
    - File & Printer sharing: on
    All Networks
    - Public sharing: off
    (media streaming: unconfigured)
    - File sharing: 128bit encryption
    - Password prtotected sharing: on
    Optional Windows features
    installed:
    - SMB 1.0/CIFS Filesharing Support:
    - SMB Direct:
    not installed:
    - Services for NFS
    LAN network adapter services
    (identical)
    User Account Credential Manager
    No entries for \\VUDUO2

It's been happening over a few OpenVix builds, currently 5.3.034. The problem PC's networking seems otherwise normal.

Things I've tried that haven't helped
    • Disabling Windows Defender
    • Googling 0x80070035
    • Resetting the PC LAN properties
    • Reinstalling SMB & installing NFS on Vu+Duo2
    • Temporarily setting a password for root@VUDUO2 adding credentials under windows Account Credential Manager on the problem PC
    • Installing/uninstalling NFS services on the PC (at one point two shares show up both media\*, I think -- and I could browse the file structure but there were no write permission).

Any ideas?

TIA.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    I see this quite often, the answer I was going to give was "keep trying", it eventually works.

However, this didn't happen, but when I checked out the box, Samba was "stopped". Restarting it and I can now see the disc from my PC.

I had to switch on the box from deep standby to test, so no idea what happened to Samba.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    Samba was "stopped"
    Thanks. I think something else is going on here -- the PC has been unable to connect for a few months now (despite a recent windows reset). Meanwhile, the laptop, which sits on the same network (not wireless), is always able to connect, including when the PC can't. It could be a long wait.

Title
    Thanks
    I often get this problem with a different e2 box (not a Duo2) - sometimes it connects, sometimes it does not. This is with a relatively fresh win10 installation.

I also get the connection dropping out when I'm transferring large files over 1gb. Then the connection goes dead.

For me only way to recover the connection is to turn the e2 box off at the mains and restart the box from scratch. It then works, but it is never permanent.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I'm not used to it not-working. For years, it "just worked". The box has a large archive on a ~5TB disk and I regularly move files around. I suppose I ought to mention one other weirdness -- a year+ ago VideoReDo started crashing when it attempted to load files which were ~2GB & upwards. (I contacted support & could see signs of a permission problem but we never got to the bottom of it. VideoLAN had no problem playing the same files so I assumed it was a VideoReDo bug but later found out that native windows media players also fell over on the large files). Anyway, since VideoReDo started falling over, I've copied the large *.ts over the network, edited locally (removing ads), saving the output on the box. I can't ever remember those large file transfers being slow or failing.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I've never had problems with large files, it's just the initial connection which is sometimes flakey.

I've just transferred 2.5Gb over wifi without issues, surprisingly quick considering.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    I see this quite often, the answer I was going to give was "keep trying", it eventually works.

However, this didn't happen, but when I checked out the box, Samba was "stopped". Restarting it and I can now see the disc from my PC.

I had to switch on the box from deep standby to test, so no idea what happened to Samba.
    I'm seeing SAMBA stopping at random. I really haven't investigated that much so i don't know if its starting every time I come out of deep stanby (once a day) or its just stopping sometime afterwards.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    I'm seeing SAMBA stopping at random. I really haven't investigated that much so i don't know if its starting every time I come out of deep stanby (once a day) or its just stopping sometime afterwards.
    I keep an eye on it for my sins, sometimes it's running, sometimes it's not, no obvious pattern that I can see.

Like today, I switch on my ET10K from deep standby and when I check after 5 minutes or so, it's stopped.

Other times, it runs for hours.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    My machine is in deep-standby every day (10 minutes after standby) but the only time I've seen samba not-running was during a brief period when I set LAN as the default network. Unlike WLAN, LAN isn't always up so maybe its a start-up thing.