Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: AV Cable Octagon SF8008

Title
    Thanks

AV Cable Octagon SF8008

Hello

Is there a specific AV cable required for this receiver? I have tried 2 that I have at home and neither is working. I've tried to do some research and there are some suggestions that not all AV cables will work. But it's all in the German language and I don't fully understand unfortunately.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    .... are you referring to hdmi cables?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    There is no such thing as a standard cable for this purpose. Older receivers used a TRS 3.5mm connector (tip/ring/sleeve). The SF8008 uses a TRRS connector. The pinout is posted in post #5 in this thread https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...-Uno-4K-AV-Out
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

corban (12-06-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks. Looks like I was using the right type.

Is it possible to use the av to attach to a RF Modulator does anyone know?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    No reason why not. But there is very little reason to actually do it nowadays. Sending a composite video signal around the house doesn't make sense any more. A slightly better option would be to use a HDMI splitter and send one output to a hdmi-rf modulator. You will have better SD picture quality but still will have to watch whatever channel is showing on the octagon. Your best option is to get another enigma2 receiver (a single tuner will do) and use it as a client receiver. It will work independently of what is showing on the octagon (if you have the twin receiver version as it will use one of the tuners) and will have much better picture quality. You could also use any device which is capable of running kodi. If you cant network both receivers you can use homeplugs.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

corban (13-06-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Second receiver or Kodi are not options for a few reasons. The second TV is small so picture quality is not a major issue. I did plug an AV to RCA cable into an old RF modulator I had, but it did not work.

Do I need to upgrade to an HDMI modulator or should it still work with the old scart one?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by corban View Post
    Second receiver or Kodi are not options for a few reasons. The second TV is small so picture quality is not a major issue. I did plug an AV to RCA cable into an old RF modulator I had, but it did not work.
    Does your 2nd TV decode Freeview? If so then what you were probably trying to do was to decode old analogue TV signals from your RF modulator on the digital side of your TV (????)

Older TVs may have both analogue and digital capabilities selected by a source button on the remote. You possibly need to connect up the output from the modulator to the TV and switch to the analogue section of your TV and tune in.

How did you connect the modulator output to the 2nd TV.

Be careful with what you may buy. A HDMI to rf may decode to the digital standard and may cost more than buying another bottom of the range TV with better conectivity. The video quality from the AV output will be the worst quality output from the box and further degraded by the RF conversion. The results even on a small screen may be poor so don't invest too much money in that kind odf solution.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

corban (13-06-20),ronand (13-06-20)

Title
    Thanks
    The second TV does not decode freeview. If I get an HDMI modulator I will have to buy a new “second tv” as well.

The signal will go over a coaxial cable. When I plugged in the modulator I have now I was able to tune the tv to the signal teeter, however when I plug in the AV to RCA no picture or sound travelled. I know it’s using outdated methods but circumstances dictate.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    You have two variables at the moment, the cable and modulator. The modulator will accept an AV signal. I am presuming you have tested it with another device and confirmed it is working.

The pinouts on the cabling are not always the same. I would imagine you are reaching for the yellow one expecting it to be video. What I would do is take receiver to a TV that has AV or scart input ( coupled with phono to scart adapter ensuring switch is set to INPUT), and ensure you can see display from receiver is visible using AV cable. You don't have to have a satellite signal, just see menus. Playback recorded video if you want to check sound. If cables are working correctly, then add modulator into mix.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

corban (13-06-20)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    SCART can carry composite video as well as RGB video. The devices you are connecting to may not support both standards. Also did you select RCA output in the Octagon?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

corban (13-06-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Really appreciate the help. Family stuff got in the way today, but I’ll try a few of your ideas over the next couple of days, hopefully I’ll sort it, and report back..

Title
    Thanks
    The AV to RCA cable is the problem. I really thought I had the right one from the pictures Ronand pointed out previously.

When I hold the one of the AV cables I have, slightly pulled out of the receiver, video and audio is sent to the second TV. I just need to source the correct AV cable for this receiver.

I’m hoping WOS might be able to get me one directly from Octagon.

Thanks again for your time and advice

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    OMG Never remove or insert cables while units are switched on as damage may/will happen if playing with HDMI.
    Last edited by cactikid; 14-06-20 at 16:35.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    He's not using HDMI - far from it...