Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: H7S boots up with weird video mode about half the time.

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
5.3.026 ?? to 5.3.033
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Attachments
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H7S boots up with weird video mode about half the time.

BrianTheTechieSnail

Question H7S boots up with weird video mode about half the time.

My Zgemma H7S is set up to output 1080p video all the time - to match my full HD TV.

About half the time when the H7S boots up the text on the screen (EPG, list of recordings etc) is perfect 1080p text as I want.

But the other half of the time I can see that although the box is correctly outputting 1080p and I think showing HD TV correctly in full 1080p the text is clearly rendered to some lower resolution, 720p I think, and then stretched (upscaled) to 1080p. It's not horriificly ugly like that or anything but it's not as good, looking rather thin and uneven rather than nice and crisp.

I can't show you a screenshot because, rather bizarrely, it gets rendered perfectly in a screenshot!

Has anybody else seen this effect?

Has anyone any idea how to fix this?

At present I just reboot again until it boots up correctly.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    What are your video settings? Have you by chance got auto-resolution on? A screen grab of the video settings would be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

BrianTheTechieSnail
    My video settings:
    H7S Video.jpg

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    Try setting your refresh rate to 50Hz.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    Try setting your refresh rate to 50Hz.
    I already tried and it didn't make any difference.

Could it be something about the skin I use?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Which skin is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    Which skin is it?
    Magic-FHD

Actually I think it's not random 50/50. I think it alternates each time I reboot!

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianTheTechHead View Post
    Magic-FHD

Actually I think it's not random 50/50. I think it alternates each time I reboot!
    No. It's random or not predictable by me anyway.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Try changing the 4:3 and 16:9 settings to 'just scale'. This is what I have always had mine set to.

BrianTheTechieSnail
    I tried a few different skins but it's hard to tell if it happens with other skins since they all seem to use bigger thicker fonts that look a bit fuzzy anyway.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    What settings are on tv also might be worth checking.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Grab a high res screenshot using openwebif. there is no point guessing at what you may be seeing or if it is your eyesight
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (03-06-20)

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Screenshots don't appear to show exactly what is on the screen.
    It always looks perfect in a screenshot.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    AFAIK the screenshot will show what the box is displaying. it wont show what is actually on your tv - that might be where the problem is
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (03-06-20)

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    AFAIK the screenshot will show what the box is displaying. it wont show what is actually on your tv - that might be where the problem is
    The reason I don't think the problem is the TV is that I can switch different inputs in to the TV, switch the TV off and on or use the TV as a standalone TV and it doesn't change the state of the display of text from the H7S. Only rebooting the H7S will change it's text display from "bad" to good. I admit that doesn't really 100% prove it though.

---

I noticed some things today.

Today is cooler - it doesn't seem to want to go "bad" at all today, well I did it just once this morning (when I was trying to take a photo of the TV screen with my phone) but not at all this afternoon. (that photo was too fuzzy to be of any use).

If it does it again I might try setting up a tripod and a better camera but none of my cameras are really good.

I'll try and shut up about it now, at least until I get photos, which I might not.
    Even I as one who obsesses over his tech gadgets' imperfections way more than is normal regard it as a minor problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast