Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: RAI HD Channels - Intermittent

Title
    Thanks

RAI HD Channels - Intermittent

Hi All

We have had standard RAI for some years now via Hotbird 13E with no problems and that continues. I recently purchased a HD card from Tivusat and the initial installation went without a hitch and I was able to watch any HD channel as well as most scrambled programmes on the normal ones.

Then for no explicable reason we lost MOST of the HD channels, retuned a few times and got them back (eventually) however the signal was poor. A few days later tried again and everything was back 100%. A few days later, guess what, all HDs bar one lost again. I haven't retuned but left it as it was since.

Clutching at straws but the only thing I can think of is that the standard RAI channels are on Hotbird 13E and most of the HD ones are on 13C. I realise they are co-located with a very small difference, is that slight difference enough for us to keep loosing the HD channels and do I need to adjust the dish for 13C specifically.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Last edited by SiWaller67; 05-05-20 at 13:53.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    Size of dish? Motorised or fixed? Multiple LNBs? More info needed.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Hi, Its a fixed dish, can't remember the exact size however it's at least 80cm if I recall (sorry it's been up 12 years and memory is rusty) and single LNB.

Simon

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    If its 12 years, I would replace the LNB and check the cabling and the alignment - a kind of refurb!
    Having said all that, a larger dish probably would help..... and Yes, a few degrees can change things - I have issues with the 28.2E satellites - but i do live in a minimal signal area.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    you should be fine with a 60cm for Tivusat channels (Hotbird 13e), certainly in the Midlands area of UK and probalby need 70cm for Scotland...
    As mentioned above I would tweak the dish and get someone to check the signal leve on screen. It may only need the slightest of movement to give you a better reading...

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    Sorry for the delay in responding. The guys are giving you good advice - probably the dish position needs tweaking, though if it's rusty as you say it may be difficult to adjust. A replacement dish and LNB wouldn't be too expensive. I pick up 13E ok with an 80cm dish on the east coast of Ireland.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks all, Dish is in good nick (no rust etc), LNB could be tired due to it's age however the signal is 100% for 13E (I'm in South Wales). I've considered weather, especially rain but there doesn't seem to be any correlation between loss of signal and that. Even for the HD channels when they are working I was getting a really good signal. Guess I may need a chap with a long ladder to take a look.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SiWaller67 For This Useful Post:

Joe_90 (06-05-20)