Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Just bought an SF8008

Title
    Thanks

Just bought an SF8008

Hi All,

i've a new SF8008 DVS-S2X Twin on the way.
    I'm going to put the latest Vix build on it (and the corresponding version on my Solo2), and put matching crossEPG and picons on each.
    I'm making a few preparations in advance such as all downloads and manuals in advance, but have a few questions.
    Can anyone help?

i see there are 2 SF8008 downloads for ver 5.3.026 available on the vix site, a "...recovery emmc" and an MMC.
    I guess one's for the HW multiboot and recovery, the other... isn't
    Which do i need?

Trying to work out which storage media to use: SD or USB3.
    Basic ciggy packet maths suggests that a 3.6Gb 1hr recording will transfer at around 1Mb/sec.
    I've stack of Class 10 Sandisk Ultra here, which should be able to write at 10Mb/sec.
    So, should be no problem, right?

I've also got a NAS where i can put recordings, but i have to use homeplugs and old French wiring and i can't guarantee ~1.5Mb/sec.
    What happens regards to buffering of the recording if the target (NAS/SD/whatever) is too slow?

Thanks for any pointers,

Cheers,

Mal

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

MalR (05-05-20),Sicilian (30-04-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    "...and I would wait for the latest release which is just being built because there may be changes to the recovery system - so better to do it once!
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

MalR (05-05-20),Sicilian (30-04-20)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    "...and I would wait for the latest release which is just being built because there may be changes to the recovery system - so better to do it once!
    Yep, should be uploaded tomorrow morning.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

MalR (05-05-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks, i found it shortly after while viewing something else.
    I'd already seen the sticky and discounted it thinking i didn't need anything so complicated. Turns out i do...

Is there any basic information on what this multi-boot recovery thing is/does, in single syllable words and written in crayon? I get the multi-boot thing, but...
    Will i have to select the boot image every time i power it on?
    Once the boot manager is installed, will i be able to return to the factory default - for whatever reason?

Title
    Thanks
    Recovery is one of those things that once installed and your 1st image flashed, you can forget about and just use the features installed in the image software.... e.g. Imagemanager - Image flashing and backup, BackupManager - backup the images settings that you can restore from after flashing a new image.

In my very biased viewpoint, the Recovery system created by Zgemma and recreated for the sf8008 (because of another images requirements) is an over Engineered, bloated system that is not needed in most cases - except perhaps in situations for actual box recovery (although most cases that can be handled by other methods)

So in my view, flash it to get the new partition format (4 partitions on the eMMC) - then forget about it
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    There has always been multiboot in the sf8008 - the old way was more complicated and required a micro sd card for extra slots so the new way is better IMO. But its a once off process to install the new loader and once you have flashed an image you can forget all about it. But it is very handy if you ever need to play with other images without upsetting your existing setup.

Anyway in simple terms you can install up to 4 different images in flash memory and switch between them. If you just want to use a single image thats up to you.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    No one here, no one, is going to recommend an SD card for storing your recordings. If it is for occasional you can get away with a (big) USB pen drive in a pinch. But I would recommend a good quality eco hard drive of at least 2TB, such as WD Blue.
    Last edited by Huevos; 05-05-20 at 21:34.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Good afternoon,

I've followed this thread with interest, as it asks a couple of questions I was wondering about as a new(ish) owner of an SF8008.

I installed the first version of the new recovery/multiboot firmware (025) when I received the box a week or two ago. There was a subsequent update, where the recovery file was the same size, so i simply updated the Vix installation to 026 using the menus on the box, though after a full back up in case that was the wrong thing to do. Now I see there is an 027 where the recovery file is a different size, so I'm interested in the question as to whether I have to follow the USB update procedure again to install it. That question seems to my rather literal but inexperienced eye to get two slightly different answers above - one says it would be worth waiting to download a new version because there may be changes to the recovery system and the other one, a couple of posts ago which says it's a one off process and once done, you can forget about it. It would be nice to have that clarified.

My other question is/was the other one asked above about whether one has to select the boot image on every boot up. I think the answer to that is no and that it will default to one of them. Once booted into that one, you can then choose to reboot into another. Having got the box working well on my fixed (ex-Sky) dish, I'm now going to try to replace the motor on my old motorised set up. A new LNB has revealed that the dish is still pointing at 19.2E but the old motor has loads of backlash and used to be very flaky in moving anyway. Not wanting to disturb the 'Freesat' setup, my chosen route would be to use a new image, so my next set of reading will be how to save a new image into one of the other slots.

Really quite pleased with the box for the money

Tony

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    There were a few changes to the recovery system. I did an online update through the recovery menu to update mine. As regards being a once-off process it sort of is but as it was a new way of doing things there have been a few bug fixes and improvements. But once on any version of the new loader you do not actually need to update it - the images will continue to boot.

As regards selecting the bootup image - the receiver will boot on the selected image each time until you change to another slot - it will not default back by itself.

For installing a new image it is very easily done through the recovery menu - image downloads are available via LAN connection. Just select the image you want and the slot you want to put it in.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

tonyl (06-05-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    For installing a new image it is very easily done through the recovery menu - image downloads are available via LAN connection. Just select the image you want and the slot you want to put it in.
    If you want to install from OpenViX, OpenATV or OpenPli (ooops - sorry OpenPli still have no multiboot image - even though they forced the change) then its in my view easier to install and flash via ImageManager, choose the version you want and then the image from that list.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    I installed the first version of the new recovery/multiboot firmware (025) when I received the box a week or two ago. There was a subsequent update, where the recovery file was the same size, so i simply updated the Vix installation to 026 using the menus on the box, though after a full back up in case that was the wrong thing to do. Now I see there is an 027 where the recovery file is a different size, so I'm interested in the question as to whether I have to follow the USB update procedure again to install it. That question seems to my rather literal but inexperienced eye to get two slightly different answers above - one says it would be worth waiting to download a new version because there may be changes to the recovery system and the other one, a couple of posts ago which says it's a one off process and once done, you can forget about it. It would be nice to have that clarified.
    I knew of the changes (they added a delete function and a fix) so that why I said wait ....... and hopefully you will not have to do it again - unlike Ronand, I am not a fan as you can do everything already in the OpenViX software.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

17. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

tonyl (06-05-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for that.
    I imagine once flashed it will default to that image until i trigger the recovery menu?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Yes.

But recovery menu is a fail-safe. You would normally select images from the multiboot image selector option. It is in the standby and restart menu.

Title
    Thanks
    To be honest the SF8008 is to replace an aging topfield which refuses to die, but shows signs of doing so with increasing frequency.
    It's in the bedroom, so normally is only used for watching stuff late at night rather than for general use. So it's the occasional timeshift or <very late night end of program stuff> it'll be used to record. The topfield has probably made fewer than a dozen recordings total in the last few years.
    I have a solo2 downstairs as our main box, and if i can't stream recordings from the NAS i might use USB/SD as a local buffer.

Although what would be wrong with using an SD card - cost?