Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: What box would best suit my setup?

Title
    Thanks

Question What box would best suit my setup?

Hi all,

I'm new to the IPTV space and am feeling a bit overwhelmed about this whole space.

I have an Nvidia Shield TV at home that I want to use as my interface for any media consumption (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, TV from my dish/aerial + some small selection of foreign-language content public IPTV streams).
    I also have a combo box (Ferguson Ariva 140) that gives me terrestrial and satellite TV. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to stream that from my ShieldTV.

So here I am - looking at the very many options on this website and undecided what I should go for.
    I understand that I need an Engima-capable box which should run OpenVix - and then add some plugin to be able to stream that to my Shield TV (I can use Kodi + some IPTV PVR plugins to "consume" that feed).

What box should I choose for my requirements? I want the TV station switching to be "responsive" and future-proof (whatever that means..) - but I don't care about any another features otherwise - as long as it can support both terrestrial (Saorview) and Sat signals.

Thank you!

Title
    Thanks
    Streaming plugin on shield once get an Enigma2 machine would be good to install

Dream Explorer - can stream your bouquets and hdd.

Also can be integrated into built in Nvidia Live Channels app via dream explorer also.

That is one good option for streaming to the Shield. Used on and off for years itself also (mainly when messing / tinkering)

Box wise, would check out the Sponsor World of Sat and shortlist a few boxes with what tuners suit your needs

I.e Octagon combos, Zgemma h7, Zgemma H9 combo, Gigablue fbc based boxes, Vu+, Mutant / AXHD61 combo, Edison Mio 4k+ few examples above, but of course need find what suits your tuner needs also
    Last edited by danny121pt; 27-04-20 at 23:05.

Title
    Thanks
    Also some combos are only 1 x dvb-s2 (sat) and 1 x dvb- c/t2 (cable/terrestrial), so bare that in mind if criteria differs I.e twin sat, single terrestrial or whatever.

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you very much for the information danny!

I'm thinking of this shortlist:
    - OCTAGON SF8008 4K ( £95.00, seems very popular on this forum)
    - GiGaBlue UHD Trio 4K (£89, popular, decent design, has multi stream?. also has )
    - Zgemma H7S 4K (£109.99, again, seems recommended frequently, 2 sat + 1 terrestrial tuners)
    - Zgemma H9.2H 4K (£69.95, small size and inexpensive)
    - Zgemma H9 Combo 4K (£87.00, not sure what the main differences are compared to the other Zgemma, other than more RAM & the design?)
    Any clear winners there? (At least in terms of which one is newest, fastest and has a bigger community supporting it?)

Re FBC tuners - I didn't see one that had a terrestrial feed as well. Also - are they of any use if I just have a regular QuadLNB but only one cable coming down - and am not keen to change that / add more cables? Would that help with fast channel switching - would that be more futureproof?
    Last edited by Geo88; 29-04-20 at 19:36.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo88 View Post
    Thank you very much for the information danny!

I'm thinking of this shortlist:
    - OCTAGON SF8008 4K ( £95.00, seems very popular on this forum)
    - GiGaBlue UHD Trio 4K (£89, popular, decent design, has multi stream?. also has )
    - Zgemma H7S 4K (£109.99, again, seems recommended frequently, 2 sat + 1 terrestrial tuners)
    - Zgemma H9.2H 4K (£69.95, small size and inexpensive)
    - Zgemma H9 Combo 4K (£87.00, not sure what the main differences are compared to the other Zgemma, other than more RAM & the design?)
    Any clear winners there? (At least in terms of which one is newest, fastest and has a bigger community supporting it?)

Re FBC tuners - I didn't see one that had a terrestrial feed as well. Also - are they of any use if I just have a regular QuadLNB but only one cable coming down - and am not keen to change that / add more cables? Would that help with fast channel switching - would that be more futureproof?
    Cool.

So you literally just have one Sat Feed coming from the normal LNB?, if thats the case and you do not wanna add any more feeds, then from the above I would opt for the

Octagon SF8008 combo - Single Sat Feed and Single Terrestrial which would allow watch FreeSat while record Freeview or vice versa and it a tasty little box for the cost.

Bigger end of the Budget would be the New AXHD61 with about £170 and can come in Combo (single Sat/Single terrestrial) or Twin Sat

Above based one Single Sat Feed and Single TV aerial Feed.

Title
    Thanks
    Bang for Buck the Octagon is a very good box.
    I've had one and thought it was great.
    I also had a Zgemma which was also fine ( Zgemma H9.2H 4K).

I personally find IPTV better on the Shield or a MAG, but if you want TV stations and IPTV then indeed Enigma 2 is great.

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you both for your advice, I've gone ahead and pulled the trigger on the Octagon SF8008 box with an order from the Sponsor.
    Hopefully the channel/EPG setup and the ShieldTV plugin configuration isn't too tricky, as it's my first time doing any of that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Geo88 For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (10-05-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danny121pt View Post
    Streaming plugin on shield once get an Enigma2 machine would be good to install

Dream Explorer - can stream your bouquets and hdd.

Also can be integrated into built in Nvidia Live Channels app via dream explorer also.

That is one good option for streaming to the Shield. Used on and off for years itself also (mainly when messing / tinkering)
    I am am newbie to this - can someone advise if I have this correct? If I have the right tuner box I can stream recordings to a Shield? Can I delete them from the Shield when they have been watched? Do I need a plex pass for this?
    I started a thread recently trying to suss out the best way to stream recordings but haven't had an response yet:

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...new-box-please

thanks