Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zgemma H7S with OpenVIX - Inefficient usage of tuners.

BrianTheTechieSnail

Zgemma H7S with OpenVIX - Inefficient usage of tuners.

My Zgemma H7S is running OpenVIX 5.3.026 (Release).

Is there any way I can have it that my recordings start 2 minutes early and end 3 minutes late and recording two programs from the same TV channel that occur immediately one after another does not tie up two tuners?

For instance if both TV programs are on a channel that's only available on satellite it should at no point need to force both satelllite tuners to tune to that channel and interrupt me watching something else on another satellite channel - yet it does.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    It should only use another tuner if it needs it. Can you provide details about the service (channel) you were recording on and timings of the events (programs). These should be listed in timers.xml located in /etc/enigma2

BrianTheTechieSnail

Question

Okay, I had a closer look at what seems to be going on.

It seems like I can set an autotimer to record all of some favourite program from, either of say 5STAR (Freeview) or 5STAR (Freesat).
    But this is converted to single event timers at some point before it's time to make the recordings, and these single event timers seem to only specify one of the two possible channels to record from.

Not only that but it seems that if two editions of the program are shown one after another the single event timers (which overlap due being set to add 3 minutes pre record time and 2 minutes post record time) may end up one as 5STAR (Freeview) and the other as 5STAR (Freesat).

Is there any way to have it be more flexible, like choosing at record time whichever type of tuner is free?

(As an aside, I actually only have one satellite tuner connected to the dish at present).

Title
    Thanks
    5 star on satellite is not the same service as 5 star on terrestrial. Enigma2 does things based on service references, these include the namespace which indicates the service type.

There is a function called alternatives, but that kicks in if no free tuner is available. So youc an make 5 star on terrestrial be the alternative of 5 star on satellite. If a satellite tuner is not available, it will try to use the alternative. I think that is how it works. Our experts with alternatves are Judge and Rob.

In the interim, you can use internal loop through for your satellite tuners. It is not as good as having an independent connection, but you will have more services available on the same quadrant of the satellite spectrum. An LNB has high, low, vertical, horizontal planes.

An aside, I enable service type icons to help distinguish between the services.

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Yes, I used an alternatives function in the autotimer to say it can use the alternatives '5STAR (Freeview)' or '5STAR (Freesat)' to record any 'some favourite program' shows it finds.

However it seems to create ordinary single event timers well ahead of the time the recording is scheduled, and those are created with just one of the 5STAR services in them so no choice seems to be available at the time the recording starts, it's decided hours, maybe even days before which it will use.

Do I misunderstand what's happening?

Is there a different alternatives function somewhere that works in a different way?

Should I ask about this in a different section maybe?
    Last edited by BrianTheTechieSnail; 26-04-20 at 01:25.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianTheTechHead View Post
    However it seems to create ordinary single event timers well ahead of the time the recording is scheduled, and those are created with just one of the 5STAR services in them so no choice seems to be available at the time the recording starts, it's decided hours, maybe even days before which it will use.

Do I misunderstand what's happening?
    No, you are not misunderstanding.
    The AutoTimer code just sets a Timer. When it does so it needs to know that there will be a free tuner (no point in setting a timer that you know cannot record). So it needs to allocate a tuner to the recording. This allocation is then part of the conflict check for every other timer that gets set up.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    No, you are not misunderstanding.
    The AutoTimer code just sets a Timer. When it does so it needs to know that there will be a free tuner
    Disappointing.
    It could wait and see which tuner is not being used to watch live TV at the time.

(no point in setting a timer that you know cannot record).
    I guess. But the situation might change. I might disable some other timer.

So it needs to allocate a tuner to the recording. This allocation is then part of the conflict check for every other timer that gets set up.
    I guess this way you are at least guaranteed to be warned of conflicts between timers.

Thanks.
    Last edited by BrianTheTechieSnail; 26-04-20 at 20:22.

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    5 star on satellite is not the same service as 5 star on terrestrial. Enigma2 does things based on service references, these include the namespace which indicates the service type.

There is a function called alternatives, but that kicks in if no free tuner is available. So you can make 5 star on terrestrial be the alternative of 5 star on satellite. If a satellite tuner is not available, it will try to use the alternative. I think that is how it works. Our experts with alternatves are Judge and Rob.

In the interim, you can use internal loop through for your satellite tuners.
    I can't work out how to configure it that way.

Later: Do I use "Equal to"?

It is not as good as having an independent connection, but you will have more services available on the same quadrant of the satellite spectrum. An LNB has high, low, vertical, horizontal planes.

An aside, I enable service type icons to help distinguish between the services.

I just enabled service type icons but everything looks exactly the same.

No I need to enable them in several places perhaps?

Maybe my skin isn't compatible with them?
    Last edited by BrianTheTechieSnail; 26-04-20 at 20:42.

Title
    Thanks
    If your signal wire is in tuner a,
    you set tuner A as: simple, single, 28.2
    you set tuner B as:

Configuration: loop from from
    Connected to tuner A

BrianTheTechieSnail
    If your signal wire is in tuner a,
    you set tuner A as: simple, single, 28.2
    you set tuner B as:

Configuration: loop from from
    Connected to tuner A
    No such option exists.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    What is your current setup? Twin satellite cable from the dish & a single coax feed from the arial?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    What is your current setup? Twin satellite cable from the dish & a single coax feed from the arial?
    Yes but one cable from the satellite is in use for something else at the moment.
    I may be able to use both for the H7S in the future.

Title
    Thanks
    Are we on the same page?
    I am working on the deduction/conclusion that you have two satellite tuners with only one signal wire attached to the dish and receiver. I went by "both satelllite tuners" in post 1, and "As an aside, I actually only have one satellite tuner connected to the dish at present" in post 3.

If I have deduced the wrong thing, my apologies. Please clarify what you have to avoid confusion.

Please post a screenshot of your devices page.

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianTheTechHead View Post
    Yes, I used an alternatives function in the autotimer to say it can use the alternatives '5STAR (Freeview)' or '5STAR (Freesat)' to record any 'some favourite program' shows it finds.

Further question following on from that.

When do the autotimers get converted to a series of single event timers?

If it doesn't already, can I make that happen quite frequently so that I can catch and record programs from channels that only seem to have Now and Next EPG on this box (like CNBC HD)?
    Last edited by BrianTheTechieSnail; 26-04-20 at 22:02.

Title
    Thanks
    Best you setup EPG acquisition. There are several methods, simplest method will be CrossEPG downloader

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast