Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTA HD Channels Missing

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

FTA HD Channels Missing

I laid up my VU+ Duo while subscribing to Sky for F1. I've just dusted it off loaded openvix 5.2.045, updated the xml plug-in and auto scanned channels at 28.2 enlisting ABM. Apart from Channels 4 & 5 HD all other HD channels are missing. Tried manual tuning by frequency for FTA HD channels but every time message No Channels Found. I also think Tuner B is kaput with message Failed to tune FreeSat UK on Tuner B, which also shows SNR of 0% when trying to manually tune to anything. Is there a way to get FTA HD channels and also test the possible failed tuner or just invest in a new VU+ PVR?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Your post is not very clear a s to what the problem is. Do you have a tuner issue or an ABM issue or both. You cannot just scan FTA HD channels using scanning function in Enigma2. ABM does create an FTA HD bouquet, but that depends on the settings you use. Please expand on the problem and we will assist you.

Latest image (unless your receiver was dropped) is 5.3 025.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Last image for the Vu+ Duo was 5.2.045.

Better boxes out now IMO as your receiver will no longer receive updates etc.

You don’t even have to spend a fortune to get a great spec’d box too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (22-04-20),woodpoleman (23-04-20)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks. The issue is that I cannot get any HD channels apart from 4 & 5 regardless of auto or manual scan. I didn't know if this is because my box is old or the providers have changed how channels are configured. The ABM is not an issue but mentioned it because its settings are often questioned in other posts. I mention tuner B because I think it is kaput but don't know how to test it. My thoughts are to buy a new box but before doing so wanted to check out if there is a fix for this one.

Title
    Thanks
    If not already, try using ABM (AutoBouquetsMaker) and use Sky FTA in your chosen Providers selection.

Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

CRUMBLIN (25-04-20),woodpoleman (23-04-20)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Disable tuner A and then try a working channel. You'll soon see if tuner B is ok ( - if it's not, it may be because it hasn't been configured correctly).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (22-04-20)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks. I've been looking at the Ultimo 4K and will probably go that route when the Sky contract ends in August. My LNB is as provided by Sky just over a year ago, is there any benefit in upgrading it?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by woodpoleman View Post
    Thanks. I've been looking at the Ultimo 4K and will probably go that route when the Sky contract ends in August. My LNB is as provided by Sky just over a year ago, is there any benefit in upgrading it?
    That could be your problem. Is it a SkyQ LNB? The Wideband LNB’s sky engineers provide is just for SkyQ boxes unless you specify you want a SkyQ Hybrid LNB.

The Vu+ Ultimo 4K is their premium box, but IMHO better boxes about unless you want to have FBC tuner(s), then you will need to move onto a Unicable/JESS II LNB to fully utilise the FBC tuners.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (24-04-20),CRUMBLIN (25-04-20)

Title
    Thanks
    When you scan, you check the frequencies listed in satellites.xml ( I am not referring to ABM, best to do one process at a time). Update the XML file then scan. Easiest way is to use XML updater.

Fault finding signal/reception issues involved several variables. I've not seen many posts about faulty tuner B on Duo. So likely to be cabling or LNB issue.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks to all.

Had another go today and made some progress. To answer one question, I'm using an older Sky dish with its original LNB not my Sky Q dish. Checked coax feeds and swapped them around tuner A & B, only tuner A shows up on front panel, lose signal when coax removed from tuner A, assume tuner B is kaput. Changed settings on ABM and re-scanned tuners. Can now see all FTA HD but only CH4 & CH5 operate all other HD message "Tune Failed!" Some channels like Smithsonian SD are pix-elated.

Checked against the Freesat Channels on my TV and all work well using the same coax feed from the same dish. If you have any suggestions that would be most helpful but think it's time for a new PVR.

Title
    Thanks
    Tuner shown on front panel is tuner in use. It doesn't mean tuner B is kaput. Best way to check is to use signal finder. Select tuner and check different transponders.

A faulty/dying PSU won't supply enough current to tuners. Buying a new box will overcome this if it is the issue.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks again but sorry to be a pain. The main issue for posting is and always has been that I am unable to tune into FTA HD channels apart from CH4 & CH5. I can see all the channels but when I access them the message reads "tuner failed!". Would the dying PSU also cause this? If not is there a solution to enable receiving FTA HD channels?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks again Tuner B now working.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,117 Times in 881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woodpoleman View Post
    Thanks again Tuner B now working.
    ...and what fixed the issue? It's useful for future fault-finding.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

cactikid (24-04-20)

Title
    Thanks
    So the real problem is you are getting tune failed messages. You mentioning FTA HD missing just confuses the issue.

There are several factors that can cause the tune failed messages. There is no magic answer, you have to rule things out.

Dish alignment issue
    LNB issue/fault
    Cabling fault
    Receiver fault
    Tuner fault
    Power supply fault

If you look in the channel list, it should show you the channel details. Use Vix Night HD or Simple 1080 if your current skin does not show details.

Channel 4/5 HD and BBC News HD are on Horizontal plane as indicated by an H. If all the ones that fail are on vertical plane, it is more than likely an LNB fault.

You can also check with Signal finder and check the transponders one by one.

Can you perform a manual scan using tuner A. Single satellite, complete, do not enable network scan. How many services do you get? (Do not use ABM, it reads tables, it does not scan)
    Can you perform a manual scan using tuner B. Single satellite, complete, do not enable network scan. How many services do you get? (Do not use ABM, it reads tables, it does not scan)

You should get 900+ services if everything is right. I know you won't get this.
    If both are roughly the same number, I think it is a dish alignment issue.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

CRUMBLIN (25-04-20),woodpoleman (27-04-20)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast