Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: How to USB flash New Multi-boot recovery menu and Image to Amiko Viper 4K - New procedure 21/04/2020

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts

Thumbs up How to USB flash New Multi-boot recovery menu and Image to Amiko Viper 4K - New procedure 21/04/2020

This guide shows how to USB flash the new multi-boot recovery menu and new image flashing precedure for Amiko Viper 4K, Gigablue UHD Trio 4K and Octagon SF8008.

EDIT 23/04/2020: ONCE THE RECOVERY MULTIBOOT MENU HAS BEEN FLASHED TO AS PER INSTRUCTIONS BELOW, IT CAN THE BE ACCESSED BY PRESSING ANY BUTTON ON YOUR REMOTE. YOU'LL NO LONGER HAVE TO PRESS RESET BUTTON.

Recovery menu only has to be flashed once or if a new version is released, this DOES NOT have to be flashed everytime you want to flash an image. This is a basic overview how to flash the new Recovery multi-boot menu and a new image to slot one only.

If you've already flashed the new recovery multi-boot menu or you've purchased a receiver and the new recovery menu is already installed, you can jump to 'Step 10 below'. Step 10 onwards explains how to flash the image.

If you want to take a settings backup please do so, you can then re-store settings & plugins after you've re-flash. If you need help with this please create a new Forum thread.

You will need a USB stick formatted FAT32. I've personally test a number of sticks from 2GB to 64GB. Some sticks can be problematic and fail to be recognised correctly. If you face an issue with the USB stick not being recognised, try formatting FAT32 with 'Mini Tool Partition Wizard' Free edition. Download via link below:
    Code:
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
    1) Download recovery_emmc.zip for your model receiver from www.openvix.co.uk.
    2) Extract the zip file.
    3) In the extracted file you will see the following files:
    • apploader.bin
    • bootargs.bin
    • fastboot.bin
    • imageversion
    • usb_update.bin

4) Copy the above 5 files directly to root of your USB stick.
    5) Ensure your receiver is powered off and connect USB stick to USB port on your receiver.
    6) Amiko Viper 4K & Gigablue UHD Trio 4K hold down REAR reset button and power on while hold this down. Octagon SF8008 hold down front Stanby button and power on whilst holding this down. Once UPDT appears on front screen release reset button or power button, whichever applies to your receiver.
    Once booted into the new recovery menu you will see the screen below. ENSURE YOUR USB STICK IS FULLY MOUNTED, SEE TOP RIGHT CORNER FOR USB STICK USED IN THIS EXAMPLE. IF YOU DO NOT SEE /mnt/HDD0 XXXX free DO NOT PROCEED, YOUR USB STICK IS NOT FULLY DETECTED. TRY RE-FORTMATTING THE STICK USING 'MINI TOOL PARTITION WIZARD'. NOTE WINDOWS 10 FORMATING CAN HAVE ISSUES:

7) IMPORTANT, YOU MUST DO THE FOLLOWING THE FIRST TIME TO ENSURE RECOVERY MULTI-BOOT MENU IS FLASHED TO YOUR RECEIVER & CORRECT PARTITIONS INSTALLED. SELECT 'FLASH RECOVERY IMAGE' > PRESS OK AND ANSWER YES WHEN PROMPTED.

8) Once completed your receiver will boot into your previously flash image. If the receiver gets stuck on boot it just means you need to flash a new image. Either way NEW IMAGE HAS TO BE FLASHED.
    9) Due to flash partion re-sizing you now need to flash a new image.
    10) Power off, BUT ENSURE RECOVERY IMAGE FLASHING IS COMPLETED BEFORE POWERING OFF.
    11) Download the image ZIP file for your receiver. Image zip file ends in simply 'mmc.zip'.
    12) Copy the complete 'ZIP' file to root of USB stick, DO NOT UNZIP.
    13) Amiko Viper 4K & Gigablue UHD Trio 4K hold down REAR reset button and power on while hold this down. Octagon SF8008 hold down front Stanby button and power on whilst holding this down. Once UPDT appears on front screen release reset button or power button, whichever applies to your receiver.
    Once booted into the new recovery menu you will see the screen below. ENSURE YOUR USB STICK IS FULLY MOUNTED, SEE TOP RIGHT CORNER FOR USB STICK USED IN THIS EXAMPLE. IF YOU DO NOT SEE /mnt/HDD0 XXXX free DO NOT PROCEED, YOUR USB STICK IS NOT FULLY DETECTED. TRY RE-FORTMATTING THE STICK USING 'MINI TOOL PARTITION WIZARD'. NOTE WINDOWS 10 FORMATING CAN HAVE ISSUES:

14) Select 'USB Multiboot Image Upgrade' > Press OK > You'll then see the following screen. At the top you will see the image zip file. In the field below you can select an eMMC slot to flash the image to. For this guide we are selecting Slot 1 where there is currently an OpenViX image installed. We will re-flash this slot. Select 'Start Upgrade' once ready and press OK.

15) Keep and eye for the Completed notice in screenshot below, appears for couple of seconds only. If miss it, simply press EXIT on your remote for the next step.

16) In the next screen select 'Multiboot Selector' and press OK.

17) Select image in STARTUP_1 and press OK, your receiver will now reboot. Flashing process is completed.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

Amiko UK (21-04-20)

Title
    Thanks
    No problems with this however I made one mistake; I deleted the apploader.bin, bootargs.bin, fastboot.bin, imageversion, usb_update.bin from the USB stick prior to copying the mmc.zip file.

Perhaps the guide should state that these files as well as the mmc.zip file need to remain on the USB flash drive?

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newty View Post
    No problems with this however I made one mistake; I deleted the apploader.bin, bootargs.bin, fastboot.bin, imageversion, usb_update.bin from the USB stick prior to copying the mmc.zip file.

Perhaps the guide should state that these files as well as the mmc.zip file need to remain on the USB flash drive?
    Those files are needed to flash the receovery menu only. You do not need them once the new recovery menu is flashed.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    I just tried holding reset and power on and indeed I'm straight into recovery mode. I don't know what happened there.

Anyway good job, I like the new multi-boot option !

Title
    Thanks
    Just another small tip, and this is only applicable AFTER you have flashed the new recovery but if you want a little easier way than having to hold in the recovery button on the rear (which can be a little tricky) then as you power on just press and hold a button on the remote control, any button, and you will see UPdt appear on the front display, you can let go of the remote button then and the box will boot into the recovery menu.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiko UK For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (23-04-20)

Title
    Thanks
    The above dose NOT work for me on my Amiko Viper 4K
    the solution that DOES work power DOWN Box. insert USB Stick,
    Power ON at rear with switch, HOLD Remote in front of Display and "press" the "GREEN" button "keep pressed" until "UPdt" appears / approx 15secs.
    then let go of Green Button.....works everytime.
    regards.Andrew

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Andrew, the original guide above does work but is in relation to the Amiko Viper 4K (which there is an OpenViX image available for) where as your quick guide above sounds like it's for the Amiko Viper 4Kv20 model (no OpenViX image available yet, but hopefully soon). They are two very similar sounding model names of course but they are very different in terms of how firmware is 'flashed'. I appreciate though that it's easily confused because of the similar model names though and so I would just like to state that I had nothing to do with choosing these names, I am merely the messenger

So just to be clear then for flashing firmware/bootloader updates direct from USB:

Amiko Viper 4K = Guide by Sicilian in post #1
    Amiko Viper 4Kv20 = Guide by Andrew007 in post #6

Title
    Thanks

AmikoUK, understand that you are only the messenger.
    thanks for the reply, BUT I AM, talking about the AmikoViper 4K, thats what I have GOT and NOT the AmikoViper 4Kv20.
    They are two different Boxes for me...
    The size and the AmikoViper 4Kv20 has "NO" reset Button on REAR. Comes in GREEN BOX.!
    My AmikoViper 4K HAS a Rear Reset Button. Comes in a ORANGE/BLUE Box.

For me the method at rear with the Reset Button does NOT work at all. You can PRESS as long as you like..NOTHING.!
    I spent 5 hours with 6 different Sticks from 2GB > 8GB trying to Flash, thinking it was the stick.

After reading this method with the Remote I tried it and it WORKED straight away. 1st TIME.!!
    So maybe this method works FOR both boxes..NO idea cannot check because I only have the AmikoViper4K.
    Just a TIP for other users who face the same problem as me.

The FLASH method and HOW and WHAT files to LOAD onto stick is also NOT clear...
    I gave up trying to Flash this Image: "openvix-5.4.012.release-viper4k_mmc", because what ever I loaded onto USB Stick root did NOT work,
    always got the "error NO image to load".. BUT the USB stick IS recognised in the TOP RIGHT corner.!

Image for AmikoViper 4K from here:-

http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/d...miko-viper-4k/

1.) I tried the Zipped file as it was completely Zipped onto Stick, result = "error NO image on stick"..! (as mentioned in Flash Instr #12)
    2.) Then I unzipped it and placed the UNZipped folder "openvix-5.4.012.release-viper4k_mmc" on to stick, result = "error NO image on stick"
    3.) Opened that Folder and put the "amiko" Folder onto stick, result = "error NO image on stick"
    4.) Then I opened the "amiko" Folder and ONLY put "viper4K" Folder on stick "error NO image on stick"
    5.) Finally I opened the "viper4K" folder and put the three files "imageversion" "kernel.bin" "rootfs.tar" (RAR Zipped File)
    Yes you guessed "error NO image on stick" again.

ALL the Sticks were formatted to FAT32 and the Folders and Files were put onto Clean Formatted with EaseUS PartitionsManager stick.
    ALL the Sticks were recognised in TOP right corner... Yes, BUT still it did NOT work.

In your Flash Instructions you wrote:-
    11) Download the image ZIP file for your receiver. Image zip file ends in simply 'mmc.zip'.
    12) Copy the complete 'ZIP' file to root of USB stick, DO NOT UNZIP.
    so really it should have worked first time, or am I reading something wrong?

I gave up trying and Flashed the PurE2 and HDF images.!

Cheers.Andrew
    Last edited by Andrew007; 26-05-21 at 16:18.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Andrew, yep sorry you are right, I only quickly read the thread and it was the pressing of the green but that made me think you were talking about the Viper 4Kv20, but yes you are correct no reset on button on the Viper 4Kv20.
    It's been a while since I've fired up the Viper 4K here to be honest, I will do so next week when back in the office and remind myself how it works and follow up here.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiko UK For This Useful Post:

Andrew007 (28-05-21)