Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Likely Purchase

Title
    Thanks

Likely Purchase

Hi all,

I have just joined and have more or less persuaded myself to buy the dual sat version of this box.

Initially, it will be as an evaluation as to whether an ageing Humax Foxsat HDR can be retired and this can become the 'family' FreeSat PVR with a decent sized micro SD. My other half isn't too technical but can set and view recordings on the Foxsat, so that will be the main acceptance criterion. The remote is getting dodgy and something has caused slight unreliability in recording - a series link often fails part way through the series while we are away. I also suspect the HDD may be on its way out. Even if I buy a new remote/HDD and the problems go away, it still leaves us with the rather clunky and dated EPG/user interface. I like the idea of OpenViX, so I will give it a go.

I can evaluate it using a spare feed from the current ex-Sky dish (universal LNB) on the chimney but I also have a motorised dish on the garage. This has seen better days and needs a new motor and probably a new LNB, both a lot cheaper than when originally bought.

I don't really need the facility for IPTV but would like to have a play at some point, though probably not to the extent of paying a subscription to anyone!

I realise there are other very similar specced boxes at higher and lower prices (from Zgemma H9Twin to the new AX HD61), but the other main box I looked at was the GigaBlue UHD UE. The UHD UE is really tempting, as with an extra tuner it could become both the PVR replacement and a motorised 'hobby' system. However, it does end up costing about as much as two simpler boxes once the extra tuner is included. I think it's something to bear in mind for the future, which would really come into its own if I could use a Unicable LNB on the fixed dish.

I had another thought. With the SF8008 having multiboot capability (again I know other boxes also do this), could I use a single unit booting normally into 28.2E PVR mode with a nice simple wife-friendly interface with 'Freesat' channels only and another boot taking me into 'hobby' (motorised) mode, with a DiSEqC switch or two to select the appropriate dish feed? The only drawback I can see initially is that a recording set to be made in PVR mode would presumably fail if the box was currently booted in a different mode. I suppose I will find any other issues as I play about with it.

Is my thinking above valid or completely flawed?

I expect there will be many further questions, if I do buy a box!

Tony

Title
    Thanks
    welcome to the forum

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post

Is my thinking above valid or completely flawed?

Tony
    Nothing flawed in your post, all looks feasable.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

tonyl (20-04-20)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    The sf8008 now supports up to 4 images in flash memory for multiboot and yes you can use the microsd card slot for recordings
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

tonyl (20-04-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the inputs. I'll order today from the sponsor.

Something to do while indoors if the weather changes for the worse!

Tony

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Thanks for the inputs. I'll order today from the sponsor.

Something to do while indoors if the weather changes for the worse!

Tony
    The AX HD61 is worth considering too. Great quality box, my personal fave out of all my boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

tonyl (20-04-20)

Title
    Thanks
    I did wonder about the AX HD61 but it might be a bit new and have a few teething troubles, while the SF8008 is in the position where it's reached some sort of maturity, while still being supported by the manufacturer.

Is there anything major to make it worth the extra cash? I would never say money is no object and I do like to see value for it. I can see it has an internal HDD slot but, if I intend to use an SD that's not a big deal. It also says it has double the RAM, which presumably helps at some point with performance. Does this make the picture better or make the box more responsive? On the downside HD61 doesn't have GB LAN or a USB 3.0 port, but those don't seem particularly vital, if my reading of various threads is correct. I do have a Synology NAS, so would transfer files, etc, from the box (and possibly play them via the box). I don't need/won't use the built-in WiFi on the Octagon, so that is not a key point. The remotes look pretty similar.

Sorry for asking a few questions and thanks in advance for any views you have

Tony

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Hi Tony. The Octagon SF8008 is a great box also and indeed this has a Gigabit LAN. The AX company works in conjunction with Mut@nt so a respectable company in that.
    You would need a microSD card as a minimum to store your EPG data (a must). You could use your NAS and let your new box record to that saving you having to move to and from with your media stuff.
    The AX HD61 is a better quality box than the Octagon SF8008, but nonetheless the SF8008 is a great box and well supported.
    Both remotes are Similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

tonyl (20-04-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for that. I hadn't appreciated the fact that the NAS could be used directly and was assuming we would use a box in the same way as we do with the Humax. Record and play stuff directly, but archive anything we wish to keep to the NAS. I could buy a relatively small micro SD initially then. The 'sweet spot' for pricing seems to be 128GB or 256GB - 64 isn't much cheaper than 128 and 512 is a lot more than double a 256.

I wasn't suggesting the AX company was in any way less respectable, simply that a new product from any manufacturer may have teething problems which nowadays get sorted in 99% of cases. I suppose we all remember stuff delivered with rubbish firmware that never got fixed and you were forced to live with it or bin the product.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyl For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (20-04-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Thanks for that. I hadn't appreciated the fact that the NAS could be used directly and was assuming we would use a box in the same way as we do with the Humax. Record and play stuff directly, but archive anything we wish to keep to the NAS. I could buy a relatively small micro SD initially then. The 'sweet spot' for pricing seems to be 128GB or 256GB - 64 isn't much cheaper than 128 and 512 is a lot more than double a 256.

I wasn't suggesting the AX company was in any way less respectable, simply that a new product from any manufacturer may have teething problems which nowadays get sorted in 99% of cases. I suppose we all remember stuff delivered with rubbish firmware that never got fixed and you were forced to live with it or bin the product.
    When the predecessor was announced (the HD51) it really set the scene for todays models - so its not like they have no track record - the HD51 was a super box from day 1, with features many copied.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

16. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (20-04-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    I still have the HD51 - super box, very fast. The only issue I had with it was a problem driving a motor initially. It was fixed quickly with a firmware release.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (20-04-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks all. I've gone for the Octagon but don't rule out getting a different one next time round, if only to have an attractive box in the rack!

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    The AX HD61 is my fav box to play around with at the moment.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (20-04-20)