Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gigablue UHD UE or VU+ Uno 4K SE?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngsyp View Post
    Yes, agreed. Which is what this thread is for.

Very useful, thank you.
    The current TV in the bedroom is 'dumb'. So the idea was to replace it with an 2019/ 2020 LG smart TV. With WebOS, these seem to have a great app marketplace and I'd read, elsewhere, apps that allow what I want. However, that approach isn't set in stone and I could quite happily keep the current TV and use a dedicated box as a stream client. I would like to use NowTV, as a bare minimum on that client device though, for the Sky 'entertainment' channels.

This is one of the LG TV apps said to do what I want.

Certainly more avenues to explore now.

Paul
    The thing to remember with Smart TV's is that the manufacturers never update the apps once the TV is shipped - so you can be left with a dumb TV.. again - you are at the mercy of these guys
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    @ Youngsyp, going by your requirements you've described I'd recommend a receiver with FBC tuners such as the Gigablue UHD UE 4K, Gigablue UHD Qaud 4K, VU+ Uno 4K SE or VU+ Ultimo 4K.
    Yes, thanks this is the crux of this thread. I'm trying to decide between the Gigablue UHD UE 4K and the VU+ UNO 4K SE, as per the thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    The thing to remember with Smart TV's is that the manufacturers never update the apps once the TV is shipped - so you can be left with a dumb TV.. again - you are at the mercy of these guys
    That depends on the TV manufacturer really. Typically LG support their TV's a number of years after launch. My 2016 OLED was getting updates in 2019, for example. The 2017 versions of that TV got the Disney+ app this year too I believe.

That aside, I think I've moved on from the idea of the TV change. I bought a Roku Express last night for £20 so, that will give me the OD apps I need for the bedroom TV. I'll now need to look at some form of IPTV client for the Live TV and recordings streaming from the main box. I'm pretty settled on the main box being the VU+ Uno 4K SE. And that being the case, I considering the a VU+ Zero HD for the IPTV client, if that will allow me to do what I want.

Paul

That aside,

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joysleep1 View Post
    Well my VU duo 4k streams of my ultimo 4k receiver. I use remotechannel stream converter to stream the channels from my main receiver if that is what you mean. It works perfectly well.
    Coming back to this again. As above, I think I've decided on the VU+ Uno 4K SE for my main box and possibly a VU+ Zero HD for the bedroom TV box. With your set up, using Remotechannel Stream Converter, can you stream both live TV and recordings from your Ultimo 4K to your Duo 4K?

And what image are you using on your boxes?

Paul

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts

Gigablue UHD UE or VU+ Uno 4K SE?

Vu+ Zero is very slow these days, unless you mean the 4K version?

Like I’ve said though you will have to use Suls, Jedi etc for your IPTV needs if you go down the Giga & Vu+ route. Stalker would be easier for you to manage etc.

Also the media content playback on the Vu+ is not fantastic, for instance if you have 4K films etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Andy_Hazza; 17-04-20 at 09:47.
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

youngsyp (17-04-20)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Coming back to this again. As above, I think I've decided on the VU+ Uno 4K SE for my main box and possibly a VU+ Zero HD for the bedroom TV box. With your set up, using Remotechannel Stream Converter, can you stream both live TV and recordings from your Ultimo 4K to your Duo 4K?

And what image are you using on your boxes?

Paul
    Yes i can stream and play any recordings. I always use Openvix image. By far the best

7. The Following User Says Thank You to joysleep1 For This Useful Post:

youngsyp (17-04-20)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post

Like I’ve said though you will have to use Suls, Jedi etc for your IPTV needs if you go down the Giga & Vu+ route. Stalker would be easier for you to manage etc.

Also the media content playback on the Vu+ is not fantastic, for instance if you have 4K films etc.

I dunno what 4k films you have tried but i have no issues playing back any files on my ultimo 4k and duo 4k. Yes sometimes natively it did not work great but when you play through EXT player it is perfect. I have tried other receivers that actually stutter on scenes and is really choppy but have never had that problem on these VU models that i have

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    What sort of bitrate you talking on your 4K films?

Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Erm.. i cant seem to remember the bitrate but i remember posting that info a while a go from mediainfo. But i have tried many dolby atmos 4k films and i have no issues playing them on my VU receivers using EXT player.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Here is something i found.

This file for example stuggled to play on the mut@nt HD51 and the Zgemma H7 but plays flawlessly on the VU receivers that i have
    Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    Thanks

No, I meant the HD version, so that's useful information thanks. Maybe the 4K version is a better bet then. It'll be a bit more future proof too.

I probably should clarify, when I write IPTV, I really mean Sat>IP. I've no real interest in IPTV as a a medium. Similarly, I have no interest in media playback from the sat boxes either. Under the main TV I have a NUC that I use with Kodi for stored movies (streamed from a Windows server) and watch everything else via OD services. And if I really want the best picture quality, I'll just buy the UHD BD. The bedroom TV is used solely by my wife, who just wants an easy life as far as TV is concerned.

Yes i can stream and play any recordings. I always use Openvix image. By far the best
    Good to know, thanks. Openvix was at the top of my list, purely because it's the first option in the selection, from the sponsors website.

Paul

Title
    Thanks
    I've just noticed the GiGaBlue UHD Trio 4K is comparable in price to the VU+ Uno HD but, way more powerful. I wonder of this would work with Remote Channel Stream Converter, picking up streams from the main VU+ Uno 4K SE receiver?!

Paul

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I've just noticed the GiGaBlue UHD Trio 4K is comparable in price to the VU+ Uno HD but, way more powerful. I wonder of this would work with Remote Channel Stream Converter, picking up streams from the main VU+ Uno 4K SE receiver?!

Paul
    It would be fine. The brands dont have to match. They are both enigma 2 receivers and remotechannel stream would work perfectly

15. The Following User Says Thank You to joysleep1 For This Useful Post:

youngsyp (17-04-20)

Title
    Thanks
    It would be fine. The brands dont have to match. They are both enigma 2 receivers and remotechannel stream would work perfectly
    Thanks again.

No excuses now then, I need to make a decision.

One last question, out of interest. From your client box, are you able to see the server boxes EPG? I've just read (in a 5 year old post) that you need to use a specific type of EPG for this to occur. EIT-EPG?!

Paul

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks again.

No excuses now then, I need to make a decision.

One last question, out of interest. From your client box, are you able to see the server boxes EPG? I've just read (in a 5 year old post) that you need to use a specific type of EPG for this to occur. EIT-EPG?!

Paul
    Yh i use EPG importer and it works fine. I think there are other ways of doing it but this is the way it works for me.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to joysleep1 For This Useful Post:

youngsyp (17-04-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Yh i use EPG importer and it works fine. I think there are other ways of doing it but this is the way it works for me.
    Perfect, thank you.

Paul

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123